Print

Author Topic: Open voice acting casting call for a game jam game  (Read 9184 times)

Fifth

• Quadruped
« on: July 26, 2015, 07:35:31 AM »
Alright, so I'm trying to make a game for a game jam, and I've hit the point where I need a bunch of voice acting for it to work well.  It's sort of a "the more the merrier" deal, where any contribution can only help the game.

The concept of the game is that you're showing off this new game at a video game expo, except that you haven't actually got a real game to show off.  So you're faking it by moving the character around with the mouse and pretending to jump around and such.  And various on-lookers come by and tell you if the game looks fake.

And so I need voice clips for those various on-lookers.

It will require recording a number of voice clips for each unique "critic".  The details are all here:
http://www.l-ames.com/logan/critics.txt

If you want to give it a shot, just record and save the files according to the guidelines, and email it to me in a zip file, along with how you'd like to be credited in the game.

And here's what the game looks like right now:

I haven't got a proper playable build together yet, but I'm hoping to do so soon.
Go Moon!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 07:22:18 PM »
Sounds like fun! I'll have to turn off my air conditioner to participate, though... gulp.

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 09:07:42 PM »
Were there any specific words or phrases you were looking for the on-lookers to say?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 02:08:26 AM »
I want to keep things open to interpretation, but I can give a few examples.
For more generic things, something like, "This game looks buggy", "Was that supposed to happen?", "What the heck was that?", "Did they even test this thing?", or just simple exclamations like, "What", "Ugh", "No way", or anything of the sort.

For more specific things, just simple doubt or sarcasm could work, like, "Is he supposed to jump that high?", "It looks like he's floating", "So, are the spikes just for show?", and such.
Go Moon!

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 06:35:12 PM »
Understood.

I'm going to follow the King Dedede School of Voice Clips, and use basically the same sound for everything.

"You're happy." "HOO"
"You're sad." "HOO"
"You're hurt." "HOO"

I kid of course.

I'll have to see if I can find some time when the wife and kids are not here (or maybe if they are here and want to help too. Haha)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 02:59:05 AM »
If you do find the time, it would be much appreciated.  If not, don't worry about it.

I also kinda gave very short notice in making this topic.  The jam ends on the 31st, so I've got a pretty strict deadline.

Also, forgot to mention this, but if anybody does make a submission, please give your critic a name.  It won't appear in-game, it's just to help me keep track of things.

EDIT : Also, I'm calling the expo "B3: The Big'ol Bideogame Bonanza", in case you want to use that in the clips.  I still have no idea what I'm calling the "game", though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:29:27 AM by Fifth »
Go Moon!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:31:16 AM »
Working on two characters right now, "FellowDev" and "CluelessJournalist." Where specifically do I email the zip file?

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 09:03:12 AM »
Awesome, thanks!

I think my email should be in my profile, somewhere?  It should have a little letter icon.
If not, it's just my gmail address: logan.e.ames
Go Moon!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 09:26:45 AM »
Right, just making sure. Regrettably, it's way past time for me to go to sleep, but I'll run a batch process on my wav files at work tomorrow.

Three of my favorite lines:
Journalist 3121 ”(writing) Player...collects...the exit... THAT's innoVATION!"
Dev 52 "Oh, hurray. We're all winners."
Dev 92 "(sighing, audibly turning away) Better luck next year, son."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 09:34:38 AM by Suffix »

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
Alrighty, that should do!

In the meantime, I just finally made a test build of the game.
There's only two critics in it, so it's pretty repetitive right now.  But feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.l-ames.com/logan/omission-test-build.zip
Go Moon!

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 01:19:34 PM »
Suffix, those lines are fantastic!  I'll try to do them justice in the game!

How do you want to be credited?  Is first/last name fine?
Go Moon!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 08:13:31 PM »
Sure, throw both first and last name in there. Incidentally, the category weights and talkativeness are probably fine at default levels, although you might want to turn down the Journalist's GAME LOOKS FUN category, because "WHEE" and "ZOOM" could get annoying really fast.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 01:46:08 AM »
I kept the levels near average.  I tweaked the journalist's vocal delay to be a bit on the longer side so that he wouldn't interrupt himself too much.

Anyway, the jam is done, and so is the game!

http://l-ames.com/logan/fraudmode.zip

Thanks again, Suffix!  Superb work!
Go Moon!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2015, 07:09:33 AM »
Haha, I had a good feeling about this, but it's even funnier than I imagined.

Print