Print

Author Topic: Riddle Me  (Read 12585 times)

« on: May 18, 2004, 09:52:20 PM »
Ok, here's how it works.  One person posts a riddle and the rest try to answer.  The first person to answer correctly gets to post the next riddle, and so on, and so on.  I'm sure there's been a topic like this before, but I don't really care.  :)

Please, DO NOT POST THE ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD.  I want to give people a chance to figure it out on their own.  Instead, e-mail me the answer and I will decide who sent their e-mail first.  They will then get to post the next riddle and you can e-mail them.  And so on, and so on.

Anyway, here's the first riddle:

Two fathers and two sons went fishing together.  They each caught exactly 1 fish.  No fish were thrown back and no fish were eaten.  Yet there were only 3 fish caught that day by the fathers and sons.  How can this be?

For those of you too lazy to look at my profile to e-mail me, here's my address: samus15@comcast.net

"Oh, and Dexter, don''t let those nasty Grab-Ons getcha!"

"They are called Hang-Ons mother!  The ruthless Hang-On Empire!"

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggy" until you can find a rock.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 09:58:49 PM »
Answer emailed Tue, 18 May 2004 20:57:10 -0700 (PDT).
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 10:13:50 PM »
Wow, that was fast.  So far I've gotten e-mails from Luigison and a "Kenny McGonigle".  Luigison's was first, though.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 10:49:48 PM »
The second one was from me.

("o0o") My metroid thinks you are stupid. People who
....v...v disagree with metroids often get sucked dry.<•>_<•>

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 11:45:16 PM »
Post the next riddle soon, Luigison.

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, especially if you have good aim!

"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2004, 06:39:52 PM »
Wait, did either of the get it right, or should we still e-mail more answers?

Let me away from this boulder!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »
I know I was first, and I think my answer was correct, but I will wait for confirmation before I post the next riddle.

<sarcasm> I think the "I"s have it.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 07:46:39 PM »
<stupid sarcastic voice>You say if we get it right, we must post the next one... uh, what if we don't have one?</stupid sarcastic voice>

"If you were mad at me, but really weren''''t, what would you say; no or no?" ~Cosmo, Fairly-Odd Parents
+--Support our troops.--+
Formerly quite reasonable.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 07:49:26 PM »
Is everyone on some new allergy medication? *runs like heck away*

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, especially if you have good aim!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 07:53:28 PM »
</sarcasm>

Sorry, I forgot to close the sarcasm tag.

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 08:53:27 AM »
Luigison got it correct first, I sort of implied that in my last post, but now I'll say it explicitly.  Time for another riddle, Luigison.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2004, 02:40:11 PM »
Oh!  Heh, I just got the answer...
Riddles are cool..

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2004, 03:15:44 PM »
I don't like this system. I want to see the answers to the riddles.

"Never eat at a restaurant that enforces the 5-second rule."- Me
This is a secret coded message.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2004, 06:37:35 PM »
A woman lives on the 30th floor of an apartment. On sunny days she takes the elevator up 10 floors and walks up the rest of the floors. On rainy days she takes the elevator all the way up to the 30th floor. Why does she go all the way up to the 30th floor on rainy days using the elevator?

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2004, 07:40:33 PM »
I hearby give permission for riddle posters AND ONLY RIDDLE POSTERS to post answers to their riddles AFTER the riddle has been answered and we have moved on.  For those of us who are really stumped.  :)

By the way, here's the answer to my riddle:
There were only three people, a grandfather (one father), a father (one father and one son), and a son (one son).

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 07:53:02 PM »
No, ¥tterbiJúm.  Here's a hint:  She CAN'T use the elevator to go all the way up on sunny days because ...

Also, you replied very fast.  I know I did too, but do you have the forum set to email you when it gets a reply?  I turned that feature on in one of Cash Crazed popular thread and it drove him crazy.  I don't remember how to turn it on/off now though.

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 09:20:57 PM »
No, it's not set to send me an email when there's a reply.  I just happened to be browsing FF and saw your riddle.  That was a very broad riddle, by the way, more like a lateral thinking problem with a bunch of solutions.  I'm not complaining, I like lateral thinking problems, but there are so many possible answers it overwhelmed me at first trying to think of the correct one.  Your hint narrows it down considerably, though...

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2004, 06:52:45 PM »
Hint:  Think of an item she might have.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2004, 11:46:06 PM »
Hint: Read a lot of Uncle John's Bathroom Reader books.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2004, 08:49:07 AM »
Nameneko got it.  

SPOILER ALERT, select the  text below to see Nameneko's answer:

The woman is really short.  On sunny days, she can't reach the 30th floor button.  On rainy days, she uses her umbrella to press the button.

So, Nameneko post the next "riddle".

Edited by - lUiGiSon on 5/23/2004 7:53:02 AM

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2004, 12:07:22 PM »
Okay, here goes (I'll reword it if necessary):
A woman hands a man at a counter a book, pays for it, then leaves without the book.  The man at the counter, however, doesn't try and stop the woman.

"There are no such things as stupid questions, just stupid people."

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2004, 02:01:13 PM »
Well, it looks like Markio got it, highlight this post to see the answer:

The woman was returning an overdue library book.

Edited by - Nameneko on 5/23/2004 1:01:57 PM

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2004, 05:10:27 PM »
A clown with three juggling balls was walking to a village, when he came to a bridge that ran across a deep gorge.  On the other side was the village.  He was stopped by a gaurd before he could cross.  The gaurd asked, "How much do you weigh?"  The clown replied, "298 pounds, with my suit on."  Th gaurd took one of the balls the clown was carrying, and observed, "This weighs about one pound.  I'm sorry, but the weight limit on this bridge is exctly 300 pounds, and any heavier and you will fall into the gorge and die.  Youcan't cross carrying all these balls."  The clown said, "But they're for my act!  I can't go without all of them!"  How did the clown get across the bridge with all three balls?

Edited by - Markio on 5/23/2004 4:11:14 PM

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2004, 08:43:42 PM »

Popple got it.  Read below for answer

The clown juggled the balls all the way across the bridge, so one ball was in the air all the time, so he weighed exactly 300 pounds.

Edited by - Markio on 5/24/2004 7:33:58 AM

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2004, 07:06:29 PM »
Riddle me this: A cowboy rode into town on Friday, 3 days later he left on Friday. How?
(Heard this one from the movie "Little Big League")

^_^ ._0 @_@ O~O

TEM

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2004, 07:38:39 PM »
Nameneko got it, and so should you, unless you're dumb. Dumb as in mentally slow, not as in unable too speak. Next riddle please.

^_^ ._0 @_@ O~O

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2004, 07:59:16 PM »
Four jolly men sat down to play;
And played all night till break of day;

They played for money and not for fun,
With separate scores for every one.

Yet when they came to square accounts,
They all had made quite fair amounts!

Can you the paradox explain?
If no one lost, how could all gain?

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2004, 07:14:10 PM »
After a decent amount of time, ¥tterbiJúm got an answer I wasn't quite looking for, but since the time it was taking was getting longer, I just decided to let him give the next riddle.  For &#65381;tterbiJ&#20281;'s answer and the answer I was actually looking for, select the following:

&#65381;tterbiJ&#20281;'s Answer: "They're playing Blackjack and started out with
small amounts, but gained a bunch of money."

Here's the intended answer to the riddle: "The men were musicians who were playing different
instruments, so they had different scores.  After they played (music) they
were paid, thus resulting in all of them getting a decent amount of money."

Edited by - Nameneko on 5/29/2004 6:16:22 PM

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2004, 07:42:07 PM »
The reason I took so long to answer was because I wasn't aware that another riddle had been posted, since this topic was so low down in the list.  I just decided to bump it today when I saw the riddle.  Good for me.

Anyway, here's the next riddle:

Can you spot the pattern?
1 = 3
2 = 3
3 = Magical
4 = 4
5 = 4
6 = 3
7 = Magical
8 = Magical
9 = 4
10 = 3

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2004, 07:59:08 PM »
A syntax problem with the bridge riddle; when a ball is thrown up, it pushes down with the same force it would have if it were being carried. Therefore, there'd still be 301 pounds of downwards force on teh bridge, and the said clown would plummet to inevtiable doom thanks to his lack of physics knowledge. Just a moot point.

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2004, 09:56:01 PM »
Both Insane Steve and Fifth answered correctly, however, I.S. was slightly faster.  Therefore, he gets to post the next riddle.

Here's the answer to mine, SPOILER ALERT:

Each number is equal to the number of letters it has in its name, with 5 letters being "Magical".  Thus, 1 = 3 because "one" has 3 letters.

Edited by - ¥tterbiJúm on 5/29/2004 8:57:39 PM

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2004, 08:09:26 PM »
Ok, here's mine.

There are many words in the English language that end in the suffix "-ful": tasteful, hopeful, joyful, etc. However, there is one and only one word in the English language ending in "-full," with two L's instead of one. What is it?

~I.S.~

Edited by - Insane Steve on 5/30/2004 7:10:32 PM
~I.S.~

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2004, 08:51:45 PM »
Popple got it very shortly after I posted it. Answer below.

Full. I didn't say anything about the length.

~I.S.~

~I.S.~

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2004, 02:10:21 PM »
Always old, sometimes new
Never sad, sometimes blue
Never empty, sometimes full
Never pushes, always pulls
What is it?

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2004, 02:50:45 PM »
¥tterbiJúm was the first to reply

Answer:(do the highlight thing, although That seems to be a given by now.)

The Moon.

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2004, 03:22:07 PM »
Ok, here goes:

Hugh had never seen the movie "Top Gun" before he got on the transatlantic flight to take him from London to Los Angeles.  However, he had heard that it was good and was pleased to see that it was due to be shown during the flight.  After lunch, "Top Gun" was screened, but Hugh did not bother to watch it even though he had a clear view of the screen and the sound and picture quality were fine.  Why not?

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2004, 09:58:56 PM »
Both TEM and Insane Steve answered, but TEM's answer was wrong, so Insane Steve got it.

The answer is:

The movie was shown both before and after lunch.  Hugh watched it before and didn't bother watching it again after.

$100 invested at 7% interest for 100 years will become $100,000, at which time it will be worth absolutely nothing.

-- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love"

Edited by - ¥tterbiJúm on 5/31/2004 8:59:33 PM

TEM

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2004, 09:41:54 AM »
My answer might've not been what you were looking for, but it made sense.

^_^ ._0 @_@ O~O

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2004, 10:56:09 AM »
Actually, TEM, your answer "Hugh didn't speak English" doesn't really make sense.  Think about it.  Why would Hugh want to watch this movie if he didn't speak English?  And if he did, why did he suddenly decide to not watch it.  No offence, just pointing that out.

Time for another riddle, Insane Steve.

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2004, 04:43:17 PM »
Eh, the slopes aren't of equal grade.  3/8 != 2/5.  It looks really close, but check the points where the traingles' corners touch the grid...

So we rearrange them...
3x5=15
2x8=16

...Makes sense to me.

Go Moon!

Edited by - Fifth on 6/9/2004 3:45:28 PM
Go Moon!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2004, 06:13:26 PM »
That's a good one.  I had it posted in my room until the other day when we had to take everything down for summer.  Monday is our last day at school.

« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2004, 07:06:48 PM »
Perhaps the squares are not of equal area.

There is no ''I'' in team...Nor is there an ''I'' in group, gang, crew, squad, club, band, party, crowd, cluster, troop, or set.
Your sig is annoying. -Deezer

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2004, 11:25:06 AM »
I has to do with an irregularity in the Fibonacci series. Note: 5x13 triangle. This can be done with an 8x21, or a 13x34, etc. The pieces, if this is done with paper, will not line up perfectly, and the hole is one unit square in area. This cannot be seen as well on a triangle, though. Fifth explained it pretty well.

Anyways, here is my official riddle. Shouldn't be TOO difficult. It is actually blatantly obvious.

Before the 26th Amendment, the minimum age required to vote for president was 21 years old. Why is it that, despite the 26th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution which lowers the voting age to 18, that there are still many American citizens who cannot legally vote for president until they are 21?

EDIT: Riddle slightly revised because of an ambiguity that LD pointed out. (As an answer)

~I.S.~

Edited by - Insane Steve on 6/14/2004 6:49:16 PM
~I.S.~

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2004, 02:05:53 AM »

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2004, 12:03:48 PM »
I'm not so sure whether that clown thing would work or not. The balls wouldn't contribute to his weight while in the air, but when he caught them they would actually provide more than a pound of downward force thanks to the kinetic energy of falling.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

Print