Print

Author Topic: SMB1 Extra lives  (Read 2967 times)

« on: February 19, 2003, 12:43:27 AM »
Is there anyone out there that can explain to me exactly how to gain extra lives by jumping up and down on a koopa troopa on the staircases???

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2003, 12:54:39 AM »
Wow. That's one of those things that everybody says can be done, but I've never been able to do it. It has something to do with being exactly the right amount of pixels away from the block you're bouncing the shell into so you just keep bouncing up and down on the shell, while kicking it back into the block over and over.

I write poetry when I`m not looking.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 2/18/2003 10:55:49 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2003, 01:41:57 AM »
Yeah, I remember reading/hearing about that a long time ago....but I never saw how it could be done really. I mean, Mario's neutral jump is way too high for that to be possible...But I heard it from too many sources at the time to think it was just a glitch in one person's cartridge. Hearing from people who talked about the secret level access in 1-2 made it all the more frustrating, because that *was* real.

So yeah, this was pretty much a completely pointless reply that didn't help you at all, man. Sorry. I just wanted to get that off my chest...though maybe I should have brought it up at the GMC instead. Heh.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2003, 08:17:10 PM »
I "used to" do this all the time on the NES version.  I don't know if it works on the SNES or GameBoy versions.   Here is the best I can remember.

It works in worlds with turtle coming down stair (3-1 or 3-2 and 7-2 I think).  In the world three level wait for the first turtle to pass then jump straight up so the you land on the left side of second turtle as he is at the 1st or 2nd step.  If you do it correctly the turle will bounse back and forth between Mario and the step while Mario bounces up and down.  Do not touch any buttons or the pad once he starts bouncing untill you want to stop.  If you mess up then jump in the next hole and try again.  Eventually the extra live will be letters then sprites from the game, but if you go to long you want get any extra lives and may die.  At first this was hard for me, but once I got the timing down I could to it repeatedly for my friends.

Since my NES crapped out, I will try it on my GB or SNES version and see if I can do it.  If so, I will reply to give you better instructions.

Edited by - Luigison on 3/7/2003 6:20:35 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2003, 09:09:15 PM »
I tried it with my GBA SP and Super Mario Bros. Deluxe and it works.  I did it the first time I tried, then again the second time.  I got over 100 lives.  It was easier than I remembered.  Maybe they made it easier on the GBA version.  I wonder if it was ment to be in the original or if it was a glitch.  
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2003, 11:43:34 PM »
Of course it isn't a glitch. They programmed the whole extra lives thing into the game. They just didn't expect your life counter to get to be over 128 (I think).

I fear the monkey in your soul.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2003, 10:40:26 PM »
It was programmed into the game because if you knocked down several enemies in a row with a single turtle shell the points add up for every enemy.  Like in 5-1.  But, if they had ment for us to jump on the turtle on the stairs in 3-1 why didn't they program the number of live to go much higher.  It is easy to bounce on the turtle several hundred times then jump in a hole or let time run out and do it again.  So, if they expected us to bounce on the turtle in 3-1, how did they not see the number of lives getting so high.  That is, why did they have it show sprites for over a certain amount of lives.  It would have been easy to program in a lives counter that would be infinite.  Of course, you could argue that they didn't want you to get too many lives.

I think it may not be a glitch, but may be sloppy programming.

I remember reading about it when the game was fairly new, but has Nintendo made any official comment on it.  

Print