Print

Author Topic: The next generation Nintendo home console.  (Read 5917 times)

« on: May 13, 2010, 08:41:39 AM »
Hello guys, how are you doing.
In this thread, you can discuss about the possible future Nintendo home console, and what it would be like. With the announcement of 3DS, I had this idea in my mind for a while. Do not post anything about 3DS in this thread though, I might consider starting a thread dedicated to that console.
Anyway, I hope that you have some good ideas.
As for my ideas, I hope that there will be some great games in there, and the games would come in discs that are a combination of a Blu-Ray Disc and Nintendo's own technology, similar to what Wii did with their discs, and like Wii, it would have Virtual Console support.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:09:43 PM »
Here's what I'm imagining:

Nintendo will opt for a more traditional controller, but with some other sort of twist added to it. Virtual Console support will be included, along with, finally, DVD and HD support, which Nintendo will hype as being awesome and ahead of the curve. The first games will be a Mario game that utilizes the new control gimmick, a Zelda game that utilizes some new kind of atmosphere, and a first-person shooter.
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:02:19 AM »
Historically, Nintendo's home consoles have followed a cycle of an innovative console followed by a Super-version with better graphics and a more ergonomic controller (NES -> SNES; N64 -> GCN). I could see them doing that with the Wii -- making a console that's basically what the PS3 is right now -- and I could definitely see them calling the next console something with Wii in the name. Brand recognition is important -- both Wii and DS are more powerful names than just Nintendo right now. The Game Boy brand lasted fifteen years; I could definitely see the DS and possibly Wii brands lasting that long too (DS is already halfway there if you assume the 3DS will last at least three years). Timing is the big question. It's odd that even though it'll've been four years this November, and the Wii was already outdated (on paper; not in principle or practice) when it came out, it doesn't really feel like it's time for a new console now. Still, I'm half-expecting some kind of incremental upgrade to be announced by E3 2011. Probably not this year, so as not to steal thunder from the 3DS, but it's possible.

One weird pattern I look at is comparing the history of Nintendo's consoles to their controllers. The comparison first struck me when thinking of the original description of the DS as a "third pillar" and comparing it to the awkward N64 controller. The DS was the middle prong of the N64 controller. It was something very new and different. It was presented as being an addition to the two pillars/prongs we already had (home console and portable console, buttons and d-pad), but the reality was that there were never supposed to be three. You only have two thumbs. The DS was meant to replace the Game Boy just as the analog stick was supposed to replace the d-pad. The whole three thing was just a PR thing to give them options if it failed -- if developers didn't like the DS, they could go back to the GBA; if developers didn't like the stick, they could go back to the pad. I then carry the analogy on. The Gamecube controller is the Wii and the DS. The analog stick caught on, so it's now the primary one, with a vestigal d-pad stuck onto it like the GBA port on the DS. The buttons on the right side are simpler than the N64's, although all the ones you need are still there, and there's also another stick over there, which could maybe represent the motion-sensing of the Wii. So then I try to carry the analogy out further, with the Nunchuk and Wiimote representing, respectively, the DSi/3DS and the next console. But I don't really know what conclusions to draw from the comparison at that point. The d-pad, which was representing the Game Boy, has been removed from the DS side and put onto the console side -- does that mean anything? And what does the two of them being physically separate from each other signify? I don't know. Interesting comparisons to make, though.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 01:07:13 AM »
Patents and trademarks all seem to indicate Nintendo's going to keep exploiting movement-based controllers, so I expect the next gen console to be a souped up version of the Wii with MotionPlus integrated from the get go, and maybe they can finally overhaul their online model and do something that can at least match PSN's service. Mario Kart Wii shows they can do it, they're just choosing not to for one reason or another.

I'm also expecting backwards compatibility with the Wii simply because its a smart business decision. Unfortunately, I don't think the GameCube compatibility will continue since that system will be a decade old by then and would be seen as a waste of resources to keep it.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 09:20:38 AM »
GCN compatibility would be really nice though because Wind Waker, Kirby Air Ride, and SSBM aren't any less good now than they were when they were new (unless you compare Melee to Brawl; and as far as I'm concerned, both are good for different reasons).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 10:15:51 AM »
On the one hand, I have two systems that can play GameCube games now. On the other hand, I have three systems that can play PlayStation (1) games now. So who knows?
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 07:52:42 AM »
GCN compatibility would be really nice though because Wind Waker, Kirby Air Ride, and SSBM aren't any less good now than they were when they were new (unless you compare Melee to Brawl; and as far as I'm concerned, both are good for different reasons).
I certainly hope that the next Nintendo console would at least have some kind of compatibility with GCN. I personally would like to see these games to be emulated and the saved game data would go to these virtual memory cards, similar to what they did in PS3.
Power of People is stronger than People in Power.

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 01:24:24 PM »
The new 3DS is probably inresistable to DS and DSI's. There were even an article of it on Wikipedia.

Click here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS
"Nice of the princess to invite us over for a core destruction, eh, Luigi?"

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 03:14:04 PM »
The new 3DS is probably inresistable to DS and DSI's.
What?  Did you mean "irresistible"?  I still don't know what you're trying to say. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 02:53:45 PM »
Toshiba is releasing a glasses-free multi-angle 3D TV later this year. If 3DS-like technology can actually be feasible on a living room scale, that's potentially very big news for the next console.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 05:30:51 PM »
Don't trip on the dead bodies while watching CSI.

Do you think Nintendo's next console will have motion controls? I like the idea of motion controls, but the most innovative game that I've played on the Wii has been Wario Ware Smooth Moves. It's done a ton of things with the motions that I have yet to see in other games.

Also, I'm glad side-scrollers are still popular, but aren't you tired of holding the Wiimote sideways, pressing 1 or 2 to perform an action, and having wiggle thrown in every once in a while? I got a Wii for new gameplay experiences, not to play the same game with a different control configuration (Brawl, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kart, New SMBW, etc.. all feel like I'm playing a similar game with a different controller set-up. I felt that way playing Nes and Snes games too..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 07:55:40 PM »
I'm tired of holding the Wiimote, period.  Worst controller design I've ever seen.  Well, second-worst (N64).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 09:16:44 PM »
Hey now, that N64 controller was downright amazing for SM64 and MK64, at the very least.  I couldn't imagine any other setup (and in the case of Mario Kart, I believe the NGC's to be inferior).
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 11:28:30 PM »
While I agree that I felt most comfortable holding the N64 controller during that time, the control stick on that gave me such thumb pains. I wasn't holding it very hard or in any weird way. The control stick was just highly uncomfortable, imo.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 12:36:59 PM »
The Wiimote is fine when used with the Nunchuk. Holding it sideways is a different story, though.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print