Print

Author Topic: Dragon Quest General  (Read 35289 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2010, 09:24:36 PM »
No Kathwack, thank God. But they share their weaker counterparts' tendency to crit (and hit like Atlas normally), have absurdly high physical defense (and decent magic defense), and get two moves a turn.

Speaking of Atlas, I finished the level forty Sage quest earlier. The skill you get for it, Twocus Pocus, makes me wonder why you would ever not have a Sage in your party during the postgame.

And unlocking the Luminary vocation sounds like more trouble than it's worth until I gain another twenty levels or so.

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2010, 10:20:56 PM »
I updated the DQVC earlier today, but Sellma is still only displaying last week's items despite announcing an updated inventory. This week is supposed to be the "Slime Sale", but the new items aren't appearing. What gives?

To my fellow Action Replay-owning Dragon Quest IX players who have no hope of ever tagging 30 guests:

All Stornway Inn upgrades:
94000130 FFFB0000
120FD764 000003E8
220FD76C 00000006
D2000000 00000000

Viewing the guestbook after activating the above code causes the game to freeze. Use the following code to remedy that:
94000130 FFFB0000
220FD768 00000000
D2000000 00000000

Needless to say, use these at your own risk. I've tried both with no ill effects, though.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 12:16:43 AM »
Beat a Pandora's box earlier (no item drop and not particularly good experience gains ;_;), but I got raped on floor ten of that dungeon (a level 81 dungeon I got through tagging) by a cannibelle spamming that stupid darkness eye move that does ~80 damage to each party member and has a high chance of inflicting paralysis. Was annoying, since before I died I defeated a gem slime (which thankfully is not a more powerful version of the darkonium slime despite being a recolor of that monster) that also appeared in that battle, and it didn't get credited for the monster list or this quest involving them.

EDIT: Beat a gem slime; turns out it's one of the numerous slimes I misremembered as being part of that quest. But HOLY CRAP THAT GOLD.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:18:05 AM by WarpRattler »

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 02:46:51 PM »
I unlocked the Luminary vocation yesterday, and it's really nothing special. Its skills are gimmicky, and its spells and stats make it a caricature of the Minstrel. Ah well.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 06:21:18 PM »
What kind of stat bonuses does it get from the vocation-specific track, though? If there's anything involving resilience, it's automatically a must-have.

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2010, 07:02:10 PM »
Charm +10, Agility +20, max HP +20, Charm +20, Charm +30. Unless you're really reliant on stunning/infatuating/confusing/paralyzing foes, you probably won't be training Luminaries past the point where their Skill Point well runs dry. Similarly, as previously mentioned, the most of the vocation's skills are rarely useful... but are immensely entertaining to watch: Disco Stew is the greatest waste of 15 MP you'll ever see; I guarantee it.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »
You mean twelve MP. Sage, man! Second vocation that needs to be maxed out, after the Paladin.

Also, uh, the skill point well doesn't run dry for any class until after ten revocations. But you only need one or two revocations after maxing out every vocation's level once to have enough skill points for everything, so it doesn't matter.

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2010, 08:09:28 PM »
By "runs dry", I meant the point around level 50 where you only get two SP every couple levels.

« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2010, 08:56:18 PM »
Don't view the following image if you would rather not see DQIX characters decked out in unlockable cameo gear or if your name is otherwise Matthew "Ihatespoilers" Welch.

http://alkaplantestsite.webs.com/dq9/DQcoplayparty.jpg

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »
Finished a level 99 dungeon earlier, and completed three quests in the progress (plus finding another slime for the quest I need to kill those for, meaning all I have left to kill now are a slionheart and a platinum king jewel). One of those quests was the one to unlock the Luminary vocation, which I haven't tried yet.

Also defeated Dhoulmagus.

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2010, 08:16:50 PM »
I feel genuinely retarded. Not until today did I find out that the ship has a basement which contains a Falcon Blade.

From where do you start this Slime-killing quest? I've completed almost every quest (save for some of the weapon-related tasks at Swinedimples), but I've found no mention of the one you're describing.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2010, 10:39:27 PM »
It's Extra Quest 165. I have all but six of the downloadable quests on my card from doing multiplayer with someone who had them (probably hacked, bleh; the game updates them automatically if you do multiplayer with someone who has access to quests you don't), which is why I still haven't gotten around to setting up stuff for DQVC. Need to do that so I can finish the quests that require items from it.

And I didn't find out for a while that the ship even had an accessible inside, since the game makes no indication of it. But I've been using the (über) falcon blade ever since I found out it doubles the hits from sword skills, which has been very useful for fighting metal slimes, and will remain so until I get the demon spear and/or the fan that always successfully hits metal monsters.

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 03:31:08 PM »
Alright, that explains things.

You know, the Demon Spear can be purchased in Stornway.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2010, 06:01:37 PM »
Yeah, but it isn't much of a concern after all; I've had good luck with Thunder Thrust using the hero spear I already have, and still have two characters wielding (über) falcon blades for double hits on Metal Slash.

Annoying thing: I had almost 100,000 gold when I reached the bottom of a dungeon (there was a floor where only gem slimes spawned, and they each drop 10,080 gold upon defeat), and then the boss (whose name I won't mention) ended up being like twice as powerful as a first-time legacy boss. WTD?!

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 06:41:24 PM »
That's why I bank my earnings every time it exceeds 10,000. Sucks, mang.

The Luminary's level 40 quest is proving to be a nuisance. In it, you must defeat 10 more Moai Minstrels after using Extreme Makeover (which boosts Charm) and Eyes On Me (which enrages all enemies). What makes it so tough is that whoever used the aforementioned moves must deliver the killing blow each time. Hence, Murphy's law dictates that most Moais will use Kamikazee just before you can finish them off.

Print