Print

Author Topic: E3 2006: Super Paper Mario  (Read 20224 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: May 09, 2006, 02:40:55 PM »
Super Paper Mario™
Format: Nintendo GameCube™
Launch Date: Q4 2006
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Game Type: 2-D/3-D Sidescrolling Platformer with Role-Playing Elements
Players: 1
Developer: Intelligent Systems
KEY INFORMATION
The newest chapter of the Paper Mario story isn’t just out of this world … it’s out of this dimension.
• What at first glance appears to be a 2-D sidescroller ripped straight from the pages of the Paper Mario universe soon turns into a 3-D action-adventure that defies all video game logic. Fusing 2-D and 3-D perspectives, not to mention RPG and platformer elements, the game slips back and forth between dimensions. The action sprawls across eight worlds filled with traps, puzzles, bizarre mysteries and items that often draw themselves out of thin air.
• Oh, and just because Mario’s in the title doesn’t mean he’s the only star – players also get to play as Peach and Bowser.

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 03:40:54 PM »
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 05:24:54 PM »
Oh my. Oh my grosh. Need this, I do.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 05:55:47 PM »
Ah, a little going away present for GC owners. Thank you, Nintendo.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 06:27:52 PM »
My wish is finally fufilled! A 3-D Super Mario Bros.!
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 06:28:52 PM »
THAT"S FRIGGIN AWESOME! I can't wait!!! Now right now, on Paper Mario, all I have to do is beat the friggin Shadow Queen.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 06:43:30 PM »
Good Lord!!! I actually had an idea for this quite some time ago. They never cease to amaze us.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 06:46:53 PM »
I'm guessing that this is going to be just like the Bowser Levels in PMTTYD (except for the 3D portions). I always thought that would've made a perfect game on its own.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 07:10:04 PM »

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 09:35:09 PM »
Besides the distracting colorful arrow face behind you and what looks like no more real time battles, the game looks very intresting. The puzzels must be awsome with the new isometric view. And the pixel designed levels is genius.
Senior Mariology professor

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 10:48:52 PM »
In the video where they show Peach swapped in for Mario, it made me think of how they should've totally remade SMB2 with swappable characters.

Edit: Also, I don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing, but immediately after the video ended, The Price is Right theme song popped in my head and it won't go away.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 11:02:45 PM by Deezer »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 11:17:12 PM »
I don't know if Mario & Peach just switched... I think it looked more like the video was cut and they showed Peach in the same position. Either is a good sign... it must mean you can use any character on any level... So this could very well be a full-length Super Bowser, if you wanted it to be. There are likely levels that you MUST use a specific character on, for one reason or another. I HAVE ANTICIPATION!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 04:51:03 AM »
At first glance this looked like a fan-made game using ripped PMTTYD sprites, but it looks like really cool nonetheless. ("Bowser and Peach are to be married by some evil-looking guy. Can Mario save the day again?")

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 08:03:53 AM »
Woah!  It's like the cratridges of SMB and Paper Mario simultaneously exploded during gameplay!  Or else it's one of Shigeru's worst nightmare.  Must play.
(E I): o{D___(--I I): o(D___(o 8(= P)___(=(:  )@)___(3 I)}:O})+)___<( )=(: )) )
The cake is a lie, your base belongs to us, keyboard cat will play you off as you fall out of the bus.

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 10:41:15 AM »
I will be completely sold if this game includes Luigi as a playable character and features cameos from Mario's past partners or better yet, make them playable too. A proper farewell to the Gamecube I guess along with Twilight Princess.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Print