Print

Author Topic: All drugs should be legal  (Read 68856 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »
Majority?
That was a joke.

« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2009, 12:51:41 PM »
I hate alcohol. It turns people into drooling, vomiting morons. If there's anything a year of living in a dorm with a bunch of 18 year old guys has taught me, it's that nearly no one (at least in my age group anyway) drinks in moderation.

That being said, passing laws on both alcohol and drugs seems to really **** certain people off. Once they lose their crutch, anything is game; furthermore, they find ways to get them illegally.

So I really don't know what to do about the problem. Should we legalize drugs to lessen violence? All I can say is that we haven't tried it yet.

EDIT: The "drooling, vomiting morons" comment was way out of line on my part and I apologize. Also, I was more or less referring to my age group.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:20:21 PM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
If there's anything a year of living in a dorm with a bunch of 18 year old guys has taught me, it's that nearly no one drinks in moderation anymore.
*facepalm*
"it's always the present"

« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2009, 02:47:58 PM »
I love you too!

But seriously. You try living with a roommate who comes home at three every night and vomits all over the floor while you're asleep.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 02:57:26 PM by PaperLuigi »

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2009, 02:55:24 PM »
Nice comeback.

But seriously, who drinks more than 18 years olds?

« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »
You are correct to say my environment has influenced my opinion on alcohol. I live with a bunch of other 18 year olds who don't know how to handle what they drink, and who use it as a crutch to deal with the stressful college lifestyle. That doesn't really change my opinion on it though. There are plenty of other things to drink that, under the right conditions, don't have adverse side effects. Like...I dunno, water.

I was called "drunk kid" in middle school because I had really dark circles under my eyes, and I was picked on in high school simply because I didn't drink at parties. So...yeah, my environment has played a part in my opinion on alcohol. I still don't like it, sorry if I offended you, I have nothing more to say, etc.

Also, my "drooling vomiting morons" comment was rude and out of line. Sorry for that.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:56:36 PM by PaperLuigi »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2009, 04:08:51 PM »
I consider myself a moderate drinker, but I'm nearly twice your age so your previous statement probably isn't meant to apply to me.  I don't drink to get drunk.  Some might ask, what's the point?  To that I'd say, health.  That may seem counter intuitive, but I'm talking about 4 to 6 oz. or red wine (cabernet sauvignon, shiraz, or pinot noir) with an evening meal.  It's been shown that the three wines I mentioned are high in antioxidants and pinot noir from cool wet climates is high in reserveratrol, an anti-aging chemical.  This may help explain the French paradox.  The French eat a lot of fatty foods which are often high in calories, but most people in France don't have the weight and health problem associated with such diets in the United States.  If you watch French films or visit a French family you may notice that the children appear to be drinking pink cool-aid, but it is more likely to be watered down red wine. 

I'm not saying that children should drink alcohol, but noting a difference in culture.  In the US, alcohol is associated with binge drinking, but in many European countries it is merely a beverage to be consumed with dinner.  Also, alcohol consumption (read binge drinking) by teens in the US has recently been shown to have very adverse effects on the developing brain. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »
I drink almost exclusively at parties, and then, only with company (I'll admit, drinking alone makes me feel like a loser, for reasons I don't quite get). If I can't get someone to drink with me, then I just plain won't drink. I like to think I drink in moderation, though I'll admit I've gotten straight-up drunk twice (that I can remember off the bat). And I've never drank to get drunk on purpose.
every

« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2009, 05:54:08 PM »
I should've verified that I was referring to my age group when I said "No one drinks in moderation anymore." My rant was more or less how I hate alcohol as it pertains to high school and college life.

I undoubtably misled a few people with my statement and I apologize.

EDIT: You know...it's funny. My CT says "Probably Drunk" and...well, you know the rest.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2009, 10:23:53 AM »
The problem with alcoholic drinks is that people view them as a way to become "cool," and not an enjoyable beverage.

In every society except America, drunkeness is viewed as disgraceful, not "rugged" or "cool."
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2009, 01:57:14 PM »
Exactly. That's why 98% of people who have fond memories of getting drunk are lying. It's like having fond memories of a car crash or volcanic diarrhea.
every

« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2009, 02:44:14 PM »
I'm so making that my sig.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2009, 11:11:25 PM »
In every society except America, drunkeness is viewed as disgraceful, not "rugged" or "cool."
Probably because most other countries don't have industries built around comestibles that induce illness. Oh, wait...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2009, 02:54:23 PM »
I call bull[dukar] on this

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2009, 07:21:13 PM »
Man, are you gonna get the living daylights SAPPHIRA'D outta you...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print