Print

Author Topic: PlayStation Portable (PSP)  (Read 2911 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: November 27, 2003, 03:08:04 PM »
I have been looking up information about Sony's new PlayStation Portable (PSP) handheld gaming system.

It does seem like a great concept - playing PlayStation games on a handheld, but one thing about it really concerns me...the price.

Sony is usually good with the pricing of their products and if they want to compete with Nintendo's Game Boy (which they do), then the PSP will have to be in the $100 price range. Anything more than that will most likely turn away consumers, since most handhelds that cost above $100 sell poorly (N-Gage, Game Gear, etc.)

What do you guys think? Can Sony sell the PSP for less that $100? I doubt it, since the system is said to have multiple capabilities like the PS2, and the PS2 cost $300 when it was released...

---------------------------------------------
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 03:26:16 PM »
I don't even know why I supported PlayStation to begin with. Sony seems to like the concept of "all-in-one" game systems... I can only imagine how much the PlayStation 3 will cost...

I will only support Nintendo, because I have always enjoyed their games. Making games is what Nintendo does best, and I am so glad that they decided not to create any "all-in-one" game systems.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 07:36:22 PM »
Correction: PS2 was $400 when it first came out.

Trainman- Train Horn Man <--- I''m with stupid.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 07:43:34 PM »
$400? I remember the PS2 being around $300 when it was first released... Oh well, nevermind.

Anyways, do you think the PlayStation Portable will cost less than, or around, $100?

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 11:50:10 PM »
I higly doubt it will be less than $100.

I am Meowrik! The 5th Samurai Pizza Cat! beware the fearsome fury of my fiery Jalapeno Katana!
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2003, 02:21:37 AM »
actually i saw a special on TechTv about it and they said they would try to have the price the same as GBA started so you can expect to see it for at least 80 to 130 dollars...just have to keep your eyes open

theres something to toast the fleas off of your head with

If winners never quit, and quitters never win, who made the saying "Quit while you''re still ahead"?

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2003, 07:38:22 AM »
I have always supported Nintendo also. I am one of the guys who found the "h" word in the DK Rap. Well, even though not all that vulgar of a word, it should not be in an "E" rated game. As much I didn't like DK64, that still concerned me. Later, they changed it to "heck".

Luigi hated it when he craped his pants. Boo!
Professional Paisano here

Jman

• Score
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2003, 09:40:37 AM »
I've played Sony, but I've always been loyal to Nintendo.

<P>As far as I'm concerned, the PSP can kiss my butt when it comes out.

Proud to be an American!
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2003, 12:20:35 PM »
The PSP looks cool to me. If Sony does keep the price down, it'll give nintendo a run for their money.

"Walk softly and carry a Super Scope."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2003, 12:58:44 PM »
Same with me, I've enjoyed playing PlayStation before, but I've always been loyal to Nintendo.

NINTENDO FOREVER!

I wonder if there will eventually be an Xbox Portable... That would be interesting.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2003, 01:00:29 PM »
The ONLY reason I would not buy a PlayStation system is because they break too easily. Nintendo's systems have never malfunctioned, so that's why I enjoy Nintendo's systems more than PlayStation.

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2003, 02:07:03 PM »
That is so true, Mario Maniac. I one time read an article in Nintendo Power, and this kid said how he accidently left his Gameboy Color out side. It was rained on, run over by a lawn moer and chewed by the neibors dog. And yet, when he found it on the ground, all messed up, he pick it up and turned it on, and it worked better than ever! Wow! Nintendo must have some strong equipment in that thing.

Luigi hated it when he craped his pants. Boo!
Professional Paisano here

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2003, 02:13:11 PM »
I actually try to forget about the system altogether and just focus on how good the game is.  I play Simpson's Road Rage on PS2, and I don't care that it's on PS2.  I'll just never play Xbox.

If chickens had lips, could they whistle?
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2003, 05:24:20 PM »
haha! nintendo never malfuntioning? hehe funny...sorry i've been through 3 nintendos (regular) and 2 Snes...whereas ive had only 1 ps2 and 2 PsOnes...and both work....actually the graphics are supposed to be as good as PS2 on the PSP and the minidiscs will have twice the info as a dvd...its gonna be sweet...i assure you when they hit the market..ill buy one

oh and dont get the whole laughable part about the nintendos not breaking offensive K? im just super loyal to Sony

and as for dk64 i think it could've been better OH! theyre making one on the cube...so as ive said before...keep your eyes open.

If winners never quit, and quitters never win, who made the saying "Quit while you''re still ahead"?

Print