Print

Author Topic: South Park offensive to gamers?  (Read 15163 times)

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« on: October 13, 2006, 03:37:51 PM »
Sorry if this is old news, but I just found out about the episode of South Park where they make fun of WoW players. Now, sure, they've made fun of lots of things before, such as Jews, homosexuals, scientologists and even Michael Jackson, but, who here felt offended by this? I don't play WoW, but I can safely say that South Park has lost a good portion of its gamer fanbase. I'd like to hear what Lizard Dude thinks of this in particular, since I know he plays WoW.

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 03:53:27 PM »
As a prelude, I'd like to say that I am not easily offended at all. Someone could poke massive and even mean-spirited fun at me, and I wouldn't really care. In fact, if they were actually funny about it I would probably laugh right along.

I saw the South Park Episode, Make Love, Not Warcraft, and enjoyed it greatly. I did not feel offended at all, as a gamer or as a WoW player, specifically. The only negative thing the episode really could be interpreted as saying is that some people play WoW too much and that it takes away all their time and "life". It also emphasized the fact that not moving will make you fat. Well duh. We all knew these anyway.

The episode to me was more positive to gaming and WoW than negative. It heavily promoted WoW (as if it needed it) and make it look cooler than it actually is with enhanced character animations and the appearance that everyone was on a global voice chat at all time. Blizzard itself promoted the episode on its website. Would a company support something that portrayed its product derogatorily? In Blizzard's case, perhaps, since they're such a fun-loving company and understand that playful satire of your work can be helpful to your promotion and public awareness. Even so, it's really a moot-point since WoW was virtually left alone compared to the treatment of scientology, Jackson, etc.

What do you mean that South Park has lost a good portion of its gamer fanbase? Judging by the WoW Forums, everyone I've seen lauded the show and begged for an item from the show to be actually placed in the game (which it surely will, albiet at a non-ludicrous power level).

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 04:35:11 PM »
I saw the episode and thought it was awesome. Not once did I think about Cartman and the gang making fun of me (or anyone else) as a gamer.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 09:44:09 AM »
I loved the episode, even more than the one that aired this week. Though I don't play WoW, I don't think this was offensive to gamers at all.

Area 64, the creators (Trey Parker and Matt Stone) have said they're just as obsessed with video games as any one of us here.

People get TOO obsessed about the fact that something/someone they like gets made fun of in the show. At the time the Chinpokomon episode aired, I was a huge Pokémon fan, but I thought the episode was hilarious. The creators are just trying to be funny, I'd say they're doing a good job at it.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Area 64

• Cholesterol
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 10:26:38 AM »
What do you mean that South Park has lost a good portion of its gamer fanbase?

I've heard from somewhere that Kevin Pereira and Olivia Munn were offended by the episode, and made their opinions of it known on G4's Attack of the Show. Fans of the two may have stopped watching South Park in agreement.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 10:30:20 AM »
I thought that episode of SP was genius. Especially...well, all of it.
every

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 10:32:52 AM »

I've heard from somewhere that some random executive from G4 was offended by the episode, and forced Kevin Pereira and Olivia Munn (with job threats, likely) to make his opinion of it known on G4's Attack of the Show.

I don't know why, but this scenario seems a bit more likely than what you posted, knowing the direction G4 has taken.
~I.S.~

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 12:13:32 PM »
I'm a gamer, and South Park is really offensive to me. But the reasons I find it offensive are completely different, and have nothing to do with gaming.

I actually have never even seen the show. But I've heard about certain episodes in it, and read about the show on Wikipedia, so I already know that it contains things I consider very highly offensive.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 01:05:42 PM »
You are a joke, man; you make me laugh.

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 02:03:40 PM »
South Park is so powerful it's offending people who have never even seen it!

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 06:40:07 PM »
Okay people, I'm gonna say this, and you may not like it. South Park is supposed to be offensive. It wouldn't be South Park without it. Those who can't take it as a joke need to be quiet or not watch the show. I am a Christian, and I don't feel hurt by the Christian bashing one bit. It's a freakin' joke.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 07:12:46 PM »
As a gamer, G4 is more offensive to me than South Park.

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 08:05:42 PM »
Quote from: PaperLuigi
South Park is supposed to be offensive. It wouldn't be South Park without it.
Quoted for truth.

Quote from: MEGAߥTE
As a gamer, G4 is more offensive to me than South Park.
Even though this has nothing to do with your comment, I'm sure TechTV was much more entertaining before Comcast decided to merge it with G4.

Quote from: smfan1085
I'm a gamer, and South Park is really offensive to me. But the reasons I find it offensive are completely different, and have nothing to do with gaming.
I pretty much saw this comment coming, because everything offends you. I offend you, Steve offends you, homosexuals offend you, liberals offend you, cartoon shows that shouldn't be taken literally offend you...Indeed, you're very close-minded. But, please, identify the other reasons why the show offends you.

I actually have never even seen the show. But I've heard about certain episodes in it, and read about the show on Wikipedia, so I already know that it contains things I consider very highly offensive.
Funny, you claim that you haven't seen the show before, but already deem it offensive just from info from sources that are not the show itself. Why is this? Wikipedia isn't a great source for information, especially in video game as well as South Park-related articles. True, I've edited some of those articles myself, but sometimes I come across various paragraphs filled with grammatical and punctuational errors; it makes it quite hard to believe that they're true.

Though, you are correct, there are episodes I KNOW you'd be quite offended to see. There are episodes I know that have poked fun at stuff I like, but my usual reaction is laughter.

To the rest of the people who seriously find South Park (or the episode itself) offensive:
It's a cartoon, guys. A little cartoon made to make people laugh. Just shrug it off and move on with life if you don't like it. Don't preach about what you find offensive to people who don't care.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 08:37:59 PM by Vidgmchtr »
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 11:31:08 PM »
Well, I don't generally take to "sick humor" and profanity either.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 07:44:56 AM »
Eventually South Park is gonna run out of people to offend....

Print