Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Galaxy dethrones Ocarina  (Read 13021 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: November 17, 2007, 06:04:55 PM »

Super Mario Galaxy is currently beating out The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time by just 0.2% for the highest scored game of all time .  Ocarina has almost continuously held the number one spot for nearly a decade.  Today Galaxy has a 97.8% and Ocarina a 97.6% average score, but Galaxy's lead is narrowing because yesterday they had 97.9% and 97.5% respectively.  It's also important to note that since yesterday Ocarina has gained a review and Galaxy has lost one, and that Galaxy is currently losing in the GameRankings.com user vote. 

Other games like Halo 2 have previously beat Ocarina for a couple of days, but could not hold the title.  I have a feeling Super Mario Galaxy will survive the test of time and stay in the top two, but I might be making a similar blog post around February tenth.   

Update:

For comparison:

Source: gamerankings.com
« Last Edit: November 23, 2007, 08:36:29 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 07:51:26 PM »
Yeah, I caught wind of this a while ago... wow. I mean, it's definitely fun, but the best game ever (statistically)?

Just out of curiousity, where's Twilight Princess on there?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007, 08:05:14 PM »
Twilight Princess has an average of 95.6% with 18 reviews and a 9.0 user vote.  It's not even in the top 10, but the ranking depends on how many reviews you require for the games.  See the source I linked above. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007, 11:35:04 PM »
Dang, I feel really bad that Ma won't let me have SMG until Christmas. Even though it's reserved. X(
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 12:29:27 AM »
I'm not sure if this makes me happy or not. I love SMG, but Ocarina has a special place in my HEART.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 09:46:30 AM »
Galaxy got a new review today which brings its average up to 97.9%.  The votes have also increased for it, but it's still losing to Oot in that category.  I was going to login and vote, but got the message, "We're sorry, we have temporarily disabled logins on this site."

On Metacritic.com SMG is still ranked fourth with a score of 98. 

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 07:27:39 PM »
I'm not sure if this makes me happy or not. I love SMG, but Ocarina has a special place in my HEART.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
The writer must earn money in order to be able to live and to write, but he must by no means live and write for the purpose of making money.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 07:50:28 PM »
Ocarina was fun and all, but Galaxy made me fall back in love with video games, and it restored my hope for future games.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 08:11:04 PM »
Actually, my hope for future games has been dwindling indefinitely, and Mario Galaxy helped a little less than I'd hoped. I don't want to bug everyone and go on about it, but I just can't help thinking about how sadly ironic it is that Nintendo--who essentially created the first full-roaming, "true" 3-D game, Super Mario 64--fashioned what sometimes honestly feels like one of those "3D" PS1 games (i.e. Crash Bandicoot) that was really just a souped-up sidescroller.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 08:42:43 PM »
You people and your desire to whine. [whiny voice]"The Wii has hardly any good games. Super Mario Galaxy didn't meet my expectations. I wish we could go back to 1996. Bleh bleh bleeeeeeeeeeeeeyeeeeeh."[/whiny voice] Pessimists. C'mon, plenty of galaxies were no different from the way worlds were in Super Mario 64.

Can't wait to see what Brawl makes you say. "Too many clones. The Subspace Emissary wasn't long enough. Not enough options for stage design. Fox was nerfed. Weeeeeeeehhhhh."
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 10:05:28 PM »
Super Mario Galaxy is a better game than Super Mario 64 because it is more like a 2D game.
Good platformers are 2D.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 10:25:15 PM »
I know, I know... I've just been accustomed to the style of SM64 and SMS and just kinda liked it, that's all...

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 08:56:54 AM »
I really liked SM64, but I strongly agree with Chupperson.  In SM64 I really liked running around and in Peach's castle.  That was lacking in Galaxy, but made up for a little because Galaxy is so much larger in part because of all the single star galaxies.   

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 04:12:08 PM »
You know, I think what I just miss is the... exploration; the wonder, that childlike sense of discovery you get from going anywhere you want in 3D-space... Heck, just running around Isle Delfino or any level in the last two 3D Marios is fun in itself, star-collection or not. The wonder of shooting around in outer space would be much more inviting if not for the fixed camera and linearity. I mean... geez, it's SPACE! GALAXIES! How can there be anything less linear than that?!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 04:43:34 PM »
Guess what? It's a new game.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print