Print

Author Topic: Paper Mario: Splatoon  (Read 36565 times)

« on: March 03, 2016, 04:50:49 PM »
Announcement here

Well, at least it doesn't look like NSMB. I'm still concerned about the battle system though, but if there are Action commands, I'm happy.

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 05:03:19 PM »
SNES titles exclusive to New 3DS, Sticker Star 2: Disappointment Boogaloo... hoo boy.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 05:04:03 PM »
What an easy mistake to not make again and then they went and ****ing did it
Relics.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 05:47:03 PM »
I'm mad at myself for letting myself get my hopes up when I heard the rumors. I mean really, I should have realized they weren't going to take the time to make an actual Paper Mario with the NX so close. But now with this, Paper Jam, and Sticker Star, I think it's safe to say that the Paper Mario we knew from the first three games -- games with a living, breathing world filled with interesting characters, with exciting stories and adventures and immersive world-building all while being clever and funny and endearing and sometimes sad -- is completely dead and replaced by this thing, much like how Donkey Kong '94 and Mario vs. Donkey Kong morphed into a weird make-your-own-Lemmings series.

"With Paper Mario, we always challenge ourselves to bring something fresh to the action-adventure genre."
Paper Mario is not an RPG anymore. It's a level-based game where Paper Mario (who is not Mario) does awkward platforming and obtuse puzzle-solving and finds Paper Toads who don't even have different spot colors. No more Goombas in college. No more penguin murder mysteries. No more corrupt wrestling federations. No more ancient alien queens. No more flower monarchs poisoning their neighboring nation. If you want a vision of the future, imagine a sticker with a picture of a boot on it stamping on a stack of Paper Toads, forever.

Federation Force looks interesting, tho
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:18:07 PM »
I'm at least excited for the Dragon Quest remakes, Bravely Second (censorship included), and MechaKirby.

It blows my mind to think that Sticker Star was a financial and critical success. It got 6/7/8's from most reviewers.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:25:23 PM by Weegee »

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3irbsRozEk" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3irbsRozEk</a>

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 07:04:32 PM »
Yeah, Dragon Quest VII looks pretty great. Oh, and Rhythm Heaven!

Let's talk about literally everything else; it's less depressing.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 07:15:56 PM »
Will I burned at the stake as a heretic for saying I like what I see of Federation Force?

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 07:58:16 PM »
They turned off likes/dislikes on the newest trailer after two hours, so maybe.

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 09:43:36 PM »
I think it will be better than Sticker Star in any case; it looks like an actual deep story again, but I could be wrong. I'll still wait for the battle system to actually be revealed. I'm surprised they didn't really bring that up in the Direct.
I'm a horrible person.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 09:51:07 PM »
No love for TMS #FE? (Wow it feels weird calling it that)
Honestly that and portable EarthBound were really hype, along with Dragon Quest VII.
Maybe it's just because I love the absurdity of a half dragon/half small child being a J-Pop idol, but I actually like the setting for #FE.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 10:13:27 PM »
What I find worst is how they act like Paper Mario has always been this. You can't do that, you can't rewrite history, not when history is presently on the Virtual Console for everyone to see.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 10:34:37 PM »
I'll still wait for the battle system to actually be revealed. I'm surprised they didn't really bring that up in the Direct.
Watch the trailer closely, there's a part where Mario gets "worn shoes x3" from a box or something. Looks like it'll be similar to Sticker Star...
Relics.

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 10:46:29 PM »
You can also see a shop advertising cards with boot and hammer symbols.

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 11:56:25 PM »
Watch the trailer closely, there's a part where Mario gets "worn shoes x3" from a box or something. Looks like it'll be similar to Sticker Star...
It's like they heard people complaining that Sticker Star wasn't similar enough to the previous (turn based non-platformer RPG) Paper Mario game, so they made the game similar to the previous Paper Mario game.

Print