Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. 2 (Japanese) released on North American Virtual Console  (Read 9075 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: October 01, 2007, 06:29:05 AM »
Yes, the real Super Mario Bros. 2 is being released to the North American Virtual Console this week, for 600 points.  Now you too can play the infamously difficult chapter of the Super Mario Bros. series, for a mere 100 point markup.

While later ports of the game have been released in the Americas before (as "The Lost Levels" in Super Mario All-Stars and in a rather chopped up and altered version in Super Mario Bros. Deluxe's extra mode), the original Famicom/NES version has never hit our shores... until now.

While the European VC release has disappeared from the European Shop Channel, it sounds as though the North American release will remain available permanently.

(Oh, yeah, Sin and Punishment for the N64 is available too. 1200 points, no Mario, but supposedly fantastic.  In fact, I'll probably buy that first, given that I've played the SMAS port of SMB2j before.  Beating any version of SMB2j just seems to make me never want to play it again.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 08:05:42 AM by Deezer »
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 01:38:12 PM »
Wow, unbelievable! Sin and Punishment too!!! Took me by suprise.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 06:50:24 PM »
Neat. Have fun torturing yourselves. I try to avoid games that make me what to rip my ponytail out, but I know that some people like their games tough.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

silverstarman

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 07:49:59 PM »
Nice!! I downloaded Sin + Punishment already. I have SMB2J on an emulator.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 01:13:18 AM »
And now you have Sin and Punishment on an emulator too! Isn't that great.
That was a joke.

silverstarman

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 12:45:31 PM »
Yeah, I guess you could concider the wii an emulator ^_^

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 04:16:50 PM »
Uh, no, it literally is just running emulators with specific ROMs built in.
That was a joke.

silverstarman

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 05:18:13 PM »
Really?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 05:50:43 PM »
Yes.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 04:30:39 PM »
Is there any word straight from Nintendo on whether SMB2j will remain permanently available in America's VC shop?

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 06:46:39 PM »
No but,

No News Is Good News

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 06:47:35 PM »
'Bout dang time! Let's cross our fingers for more.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 09:14:33 PM »
Every SMB fan should have this.  I like how it quickly shot up the VC popular games list, but what's up with Yoshi Story being so popular.  It's one of the few N64 games (along with Donkey Kong 64) that I sold shortly after purchasing them.  I thought it sucked then, but would reconsider it if it had got decent reviews or wasn't so expensive point and block wise. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 05:16:42 PM »
I like Yoshi's Story. Nothing really in the game to make me dislike it, I guess.

Anyway, I think SMB2J, when I actually play it (as I have been), rockets up to being one of my favorite games ever. Its incredible difficulty and ingenious level design make it so endearing.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007, 11:33:57 AM »
I got an email from Nintendo saying that SMB2J will stay in the US VC Shop. :D

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2007, 05:01:38 PM »
Yes, I like the "imported" VC games, too. Europe should be happy about what this means, that Super Mario RPG will finally (eventually) be played there without piracy. Congratulations.
Perhaps this is how we'll be getting Mother 3? I don't see a GBA release for it happening...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print