Print

Author Topic: Mushroomy Kingdom (and Music) in Brawl  (Read 24921 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: January 23, 2008, 01:23:39 AM »
The latest update at the Smash Bros. Dojo contains two new tidbits that everyone here is sure to enjoy.  World 1-1 from Super Mario Bros. will be appearing as a battle stage... a side scrolling battle stage, somewhat akin to Rainbow Ride in Super Smash Bros. Melee, but moving towards the right and much more amazing... especially with the piano remix of the Super Mario Bros. theme, by Kondo himself.  It also seems that the level changes to World 1-2 at times.

It's a great time to love Mario.

View the stage on the Dojo here.
Hear the music on the Dojo here.

Source: Smash Bros. Dojo
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 11:45:48 PM by MEGAߥTE »
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 08:19:06 AM »
Awesome!
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 02:52:31 PM »
The music's beautiful.

Stage looks interesting and promising. I don't say it much, but I seem to prefer the battle stages that are huge or dynamically change. Must be why I enjoyed Melee's Big Blue stage, because I'm constantly having to hop onto different F-Zero cars along the way, all at different angles. Actually, Mushroomy Kingdom seems better on second glance since the blocks and combatants are in scale like the original Super Mario Bros. (i.e. you can't immediately jump to the top blocks from the bottom platform), so the blocks seem like genuine platforms instead of minor trip-over obstacles. Pipe looks blocked off, but it'd be neat if you could jump into the pipe and hide temporarily. Anyone else who jumps in can still attack you though.

That's it. Once I get a Wii, I'm getting Smash Bros. Brawl. I don't care if Falco doesn't appear, there's just way too much cool new stuff in this game to ignore. I'll just have to live with the possible overdose of franticness (way too much random stuff that can happen during a battle).

Who will I play as in Brawl? Whoever's the most nimble, as in previous games. So it'd probably be Sheik.
You didn't say wot wot.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:08:31 PM »
I wonder if this stage will have any tie-in with The Subspace Emissary.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 06:11:13 PM »
The kingdom you once knew has turned to ruins over the long years

This sent a wisp of sadness through my heart.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 06:15:41 PM »
Stage design and concept: Wonderful!
Music: Thank you, Mr. Kondo!
Name: Uhhhhh... WTD?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 06:43:31 PM »
I thought the name meant since they added sweet backgrounds, it feels like there's more room, and the stage is "roomy". Add a Y to the end of the land in which Mario lives and you get a cute pun! Thanks, Nintendo.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 06:53:46 PM »
The Japanese version just has a descriptive name about it being an ancient kingdom.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 10:17:04 PM »
Yeah, uh, what's with the whole "apocalyptic wasteland" look? I mean, if this is/was part of the Subspace Emissary and they worked the whole "the kingdom you once knew has turned to ruins over the long years" into the plot, it'd be awesome, but... I've got more questions than answers at this point.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 10:26:20 PM »
The color of next gen is brown.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 10:29:31 PM »
Brown is the new white. I mean, hey, the Atari's and stuff had the faux-wood paneling... get my Wii a mahogany paint job!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 10:43:13 PM »
Down is the new up.

Anyway, I like the whole apocalyptic wasteland look. In fact, I liked it before they came up with this stage. I like apocalyptic wastelands.
That was a joke.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 10:51:11 PM »
The color of next gen is brown.
Don't forget bloom.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 11:05:46 PM »
This is my favorite level, by far. Especially since it can alternate to be level 1-2.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2008, 01:13:13 AM »
Don't forget bloom.
Win.

Brawl is the new Melee.

I mean, taken in moderation, Mushroomy Kingdom can be cool. But it's not the thing I'd battle on several times over, not with that constant brown. The World 1-2 at least looks more colorful.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:15:39 AM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2008, 01:27:26 AM »
Man... I like bloom. A lot. I also really like this stage. It looks ... old. And stuff that looks old is good. Also a touch of realism is a wild twist on Mario stuff.
Also, the sky and the field in the background are beautiful.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 01:30:26 AM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2008, 06:06:49 PM »
It's just a logical extension of the dry, cracked, brown earth that showed up in the original game.

Except there were some lush, green, bushes...and those little round tree things...
-Your friendly neighborhood potato.

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »
and those little round tree things...

Trees
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2008, 11:19:05 PM »
^ Funniest post of the day.

Grats!

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2008, 11:52:13 PM »
I think the reason its so... brown and stuff is cause its the same level that was played back in the release date! Eventually people stopped played it, it was placed in a vacuum, and the native fauna was forced to succumb to the harsh climates. Over the years, everything had decayed, except the blocks, and one fateful day in 2008...

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 07:08:49 PM »
Hey, like I said, if they can work it into the plot, it'd be totally awesome, but right now it's just weird. I mean, I agree with Thorn on the ground, but for a Mario-based level, it's so... bleak.

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 07:33:08 PM »
This sent a wisp of sadness through my heart.

That was a creepy update. Did Bowser eventually conquer the Mushroom Kingdom? Did an outside force destroy these happy lands? Why, Why?

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2008, 03:28:27 PM »
I beleive it may have something to do woth the sub space emisary,
just thing of how evil it will look with luigi's final smash
Huuuuurgh!  My brain hurts!
I can't keep up with plot
points this complicated!

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 09:48:16 AM »
No. It can't. Sakurai mentions that "...The kingdom you once knew has turned to ruins over the long years..."

I'm pretty sure the SSE doesn't take place over a long amount of time.

cosmic_c

• EAGLES SCREAM!
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
NO! THE KINGDOM WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED! notice the stage is called mushroom"y" kingdom. which cleary states that this is a alternate reality kingdom. the kingdom we know is safe. as long as the mario fans are there to save it. KINGDOM FOREVER!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 01:34:19 PM »
No. It can't. Sakurai mentions that "...The kingdom you once knew has turned to ruins over the long years..."

I'm pretty sure the SSE doesn't take place over a long amount of time.

Maybe there saying that since that first level in SMB is so old. Like 22 years old? So it turned to ruins!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 04:02:58 PM »
Just like Fort Stevens! A place where my family went camping on numerous occasions. It's a neat place, but it took 40 years to really appear to be in disrepair.

This was a really rough tangent, but I believe World 1-1's tattered appearance makes perfect sense.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 05:33:40 PM »
Dang, I want to shoot a movie there.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 06:13:33 PM »
You people are thinking this thing way too hard. It's Sakurai. What does the name "Mushroomy Kingdom" say about its creator?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 08:41:47 PM »
If you think about it, "Mushroomy" (dangit, how is than an adjective?) isn't normally a word I'd associate with post-apocalyptic landscapes, but this is Mario, after all... expect the unexpected! (unless it's the plot)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 08:09:31 PM »
Besides, We don't know the events in TMK after the years. So maybe a tornado or something struck the area destroying it's pixelated beauty. Or maybe a severe drought.... Which makes sense, look at it! It's a barren wasteland. No wonder the Gritzy Desert music plays.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 09:36:46 PM »
So maybe a tornado or something struck the area destroying it's pixelated beauty...
... turning it into 3-D-ish 2-D. AM I RIGHT?

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 10:00:42 PM »
... turning it into 3-D-ish 2-D. AM I RIGHT?
Isn't that called 2.5D?
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 10:03:04 PM »
It's called "3D graphics with 2D gameplay".  Okay?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »
2.5D would theoretically have objects in the distance but you can only move in two dimensions. Like Viewtiful Joe or something.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 10:44:30 AM »
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I think only Kirby 64 and the Viewtiful Joe games fall under that catagory.

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 11:43:17 AM »
2.5D would theoretically have objects in the distance but you can only move in two dimensions. Like Viewtiful Joe or something.
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I think only Kirby 64 and the Viewtiful Joe games fall under that catagory.

Yoshi's Story, Paper Mario, New SMB, the Smash series, Kirby 64, Super Paper Mario..

Pretty much any game that has 3D characters (or 2D characters in a 3D world, like Paper Mario) moving only left/right (or up/down) is 2.5D.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 01:01:58 PM »
That's where I disagree. There has to be some interaction with the background or you might as well call every game with parallax scrolling 2.5D as well. Super Paper Mario is 2.5D most of the time.
That was a joke.

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 12:04:46 PM »
Well, Nintendo did refer to Yoshi's Story as 2.5D. It had a little 3D interaction in that you could move along different paths that were either in front of or behind others. But other than that, yeah, 2D with 3D graphics. Wario Land or whatever the Wario game for Virtual Boy was could also be 2.5D, which actually has you going to the background at times (like Super Paper Mario).
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »
But Yoshi's Story had 2D graphics!

Virtual Boy Wario Land is actually 3D, but yeah, you have 2.5D gameplay since you can't actively move toward the background.
That was a joke.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 06:27:04 PM »
I thought the Virtual Boy just had anaglyphic sprites and whatnot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 06:46:03 PM »
Yeah. How is that not 3D?
That was a joke.

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »
Well, Nintendo did refer to Yoshi's Story as 2.5D. It had a little 3D interaction in that you could move along different paths that were either in front of or behind others.

Also, things in the background (like Shyguys in the snow levels) intereacted with things in the foreground (like said 'Guys throwing snowballs at Yoshi). You could have Yoshi pound the ground, and the Shyguys would change colors (and the ones in the background would lose their snowballs and start building up for another one).

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »
Man... I like bloom. A lot. I also really like this stage. It looks ... old. And stuff that looks old is good. Also a touch of realism is a wild twist on Mario stuff.
Also, the sky and the field in the background are beautiful.

Realism in Mario = Yes, awesome, good, I have to agree. Every Mario game would be amazing if it looked as real as Roomy.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2008, 06:50:33 PM »
Should the characters look more realistic, though?  I notice that Mario himself still looks as cartoony as ever, and it's really only the texture of his clothing that gets updated.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2008, 02:30:26 AM »
Well, I personally think they should do this: Combine the awesome sense of lighting of the Strikers series and combine the level of detail in Brawl together to form a perfect Mario game. They've should've made Galaxy look like that. Of course they had to make it look all bright and colorful to appeal to everyone, but I mean, crap, come on. Can you imagine how cool Galaxy would be if it looked as good as Smash?

Another thing that killed me about Galaxy was the shadowing. I absolutely HATE when every single thing has like a dodecagonal blue shade under it, no matter what... unless it's Mario (cuz they always at least make him have a correct shadow)... and the fact that no matter where the light source, the shadows of everything would remain in the same spot as if it were 12 o' clock noon.......................in space, yeah.

I know they did it so the little kids who don't even know who Mario is and whose mom suggested the game to them as a "pretty neat adventure game" could tell where things were, but it could've been at least improved on. The correct shadowing would've meant like 2% more difficulty... which would've been nice. Galaxy was horribly easy... I beat it within three days of owning it... which sucked. Then I got all stars and beat it with all stars with the "other guy" in less than a week. (I figure there are still some who haven't played Galaxy yet.)

But yeah, a sense of continuity and realism in Mario games would be awesome. Oh, well, hey, I'm visiting the island where Smithy once tried to rule (that for some reason, I'm also financially stable to have yet... another house on), and look, I can see Keehaul Key, Rogueport, AND Isle Delfino's ferris wheel off in the distance. There's Nimbus Land and a few of the Rainbow Road courses floating about... you can see the mushroom city's lights reflecting off the clouds with Glitzville right above us! It's like they totally forget any previous Mario game that isn't SMB through SMB3 to incorporate into a game. It'd be cool if in any Mario game really, they mentioned old history such as killing Tatanga and Bowser turning all the paintings into courses.

I'm rambling a lot, but allllllllll of everything infused in a Mario game would be amazing... and get rid of Luigi's frickin "I'm a little girl" voice *pops in Mario Golf* and Mario's new "galaxy-ization" voice that they started with too that makes him sound like he's always horribly high pitch... it's in Brawl, too!!!! Hmm..
Formerly quite reasonable.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2008, 10:11:42 AM »
Miyamoto doesn't want a continuity. End of story.
That was a joke.

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2008, 05:34:28 PM »
What about when Miyamoto's not in charge anymore
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2008, 02:36:55 PM »
Surely his successors will respect his wishes.

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2008, 03:11:26 PM »
Or they will ruin Nintendo turning it into what Sega is now.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »
Or Intellegent Systems will be at the helm and write more awesome RPG scenarios.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2008, 07:01:31 PM »
^ We can only hope...

Print