Print

Author Topic: Mushroomy Kingdom (and Music) in Brawl  (Read 25095 times)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2008, 08:09:31 PM »
Besides, We don't know the events in TMK after the years. So maybe a tornado or something struck the area destroying it's pixelated beauty. Or maybe a severe drought.... Which makes sense, look at it! It's a barren wasteland. No wonder the Gritzy Desert music plays.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 09:36:46 PM »
So maybe a tornado or something struck the area destroying it's pixelated beauty...
... turning it into 3-D-ish 2-D. AM I RIGHT?

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 10:00:42 PM »
... turning it into 3-D-ish 2-D. AM I RIGHT?
Isn't that called 2.5D?
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2008, 10:03:04 PM »
It's called "3D graphics with 2D gameplay".  Okay?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »
2.5D would theoretically have objects in the distance but you can only move in two dimensions. Like Viewtiful Joe or something.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2008, 10:44:30 AM »
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I think only Kirby 64 and the Viewtiful Joe games fall under that catagory.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 11:43:17 AM »
2.5D would theoretically have objects in the distance but you can only move in two dimensions. Like Viewtiful Joe or something.
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but I think only Kirby 64 and the Viewtiful Joe games fall under that catagory.

Yoshi's Story, Paper Mario, New SMB, the Smash series, Kirby 64, Super Paper Mario..

Pretty much any game that has 3D characters (or 2D characters in a 3D world, like Paper Mario) moving only left/right (or up/down) is 2.5D.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 01:01:58 PM »
That's where I disagree. There has to be some interaction with the background or you might as well call every game with parallax scrolling 2.5D as well. Super Paper Mario is 2.5D most of the time.
That was a joke.

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 12:04:46 PM »
Well, Nintendo did refer to Yoshi's Story as 2.5D. It had a little 3D interaction in that you could move along different paths that were either in front of or behind others. But other than that, yeah, 2D with 3D graphics. Wario Land or whatever the Wario game for Virtual Boy was could also be 2.5D, which actually has you going to the background at times (like Super Paper Mario).
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 05:29:18 PM »
But Yoshi's Story had 2D graphics!

Virtual Boy Wario Land is actually 3D, but yeah, you have 2.5D gameplay since you can't actively move toward the background.
That was a joke.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 06:27:04 PM »
I thought the Virtual Boy just had anaglyphic sprites and whatnot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 06:46:03 PM »
Yeah. How is that not 3D?
That was a joke.

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »
Well, Nintendo did refer to Yoshi's Story as 2.5D. It had a little 3D interaction in that you could move along different paths that were either in front of or behind others.

Also, things in the background (like Shyguys in the snow levels) intereacted with things in the foreground (like said 'Guys throwing snowballs at Yoshi). You could have Yoshi pound the ground, and the Shyguys would change colors (and the ones in the background would lose their snowballs and start building up for another one).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2008, 02:34:02 PM »
Man... I like bloom. A lot. I also really like this stage. It looks ... old. And stuff that looks old is good. Also a touch of realism is a wild twist on Mario stuff.
Also, the sky and the field in the background are beautiful.

Realism in Mario = Yes, awesome, good, I have to agree. Every Mario game would be amazing if it looked as real as Roomy.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2008, 06:50:33 PM »
Should the characters look more realistic, though?  I notice that Mario himself still looks as cartoony as ever, and it's really only the texture of his clothing that gets updated.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Print