Poll

Who/What is your favorite non-human character?

Toad
5 (21.7%)
Yoshi
18 (78.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Print

Author Topic: Favorite Non-human Character  (Read 10935 times)

« on: February 21, 2006, 07:00:53 PM »
Toad used to be the 4th character in games that had 4 characters playable but he was replaced by Yoshi. I don't understand how a character that was introduced 10 years after the Mario series had started (Yoshi) would be more popular than a character who was there from the start (Toad). Yoshi didn't even start out as a full character, but an item of sorts.. if it came from an [?]-block, it was an item. Anyway, more recently, Yoshi has been playable more often than Toad. Both of them have a handful (or more) of fans, people that want to see them playable.

So, who is your favorite?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 08:00:33 PM »
Toad was only playable in SMB2 before SMW.

It's no wonder a charecter with abilities and differentiation "replaced" Toad.
Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 08:47:53 PM »
Ok, but what about today.. Super Mario 64 DS could've easily had Toad playable instead of, well.. Wario. Ok, so that was a bad example, but there are other games..

Why wasn't Toad in Mario Power Tennis? Why isn't he in Mario Superstar Baseball? Why not in Paper Mario or PM2? Why wait until the fifth installment of Mario Party to finally start including a character that should've been there from the beginning?

.. and don't give me that he was a board host business. They could've easily replaced Toad with a Lakitu, or some other npc.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 08:51:23 PM »
Whooh, calm down Toad. Never mess with a person who has 'toad' in their name. :D

Don't worry, I'm not making fun of you. I'm just making a joke about what you said. ;)

Toad is in MSB though.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 09:02:21 PM »
I like using Toad AND Yoshi together in MKDD... I wish a toad would be a character in an RPG though...

Edit: I thought it would be cool if in PMTTYD a Toad were an optional partner... He could have a spotless head to make him look different.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 09:08:40 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 09:28:11 PM »
Toad is in MSB though.

No he's not. There are Toads in MSB, but the one Toad has a blue vest and red mushroom dots. In that game, they're trying to pass off the red Retainer as Toad.

.. and I AM CALM. *tenses arms and grabs keyboard in deathlike grip* (j/k btw)

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 11:14:40 PM »
I love Toad.  As a fellow Toad lover, I would like to know your opinion on the voice he was given beginning with Super Mario Advance.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 12:44:42 AM »
Hmm.. I haven't played much of Super Mario Advance.. just a copy of the ROM (I don't know where to get it, don't ask me).

I thought it was good, but I can see why people would have wanted an option to turn the voices off in that game. A voice clip for every little detail was insane (plucking a veggie, being hit, grabbing a cherry, grabbing an enemy..). I did like Toad's voice, though.

My favorite one is probably the first game he had a voice in, Mario Kart 64 (ok, so this was the first famous one.. he first had a voice in Wario's Woods..) After that, we didn't hear much from the World's greatest mushroom retainer.. Just some ohs and aws in the first 3 Mario Party games, then he was given what was an ok voice in MP4. MKDD was a good voice, but not as good as MK64, and MP's 5-6 are also pretty good, but again, not as good as MK64's.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 06:50:30 AM »
I'm sorry.  I like Toad, but I first saw Yoshi during the period of my childhood where I was intrigued with dinosaurs.

I love Toad's scream in MK64.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 10:15:35 AM »
Why wasn't Toad in Mario Power Tennis? Why isn't he in Mario Superstar Baseball? Why not in Paper Mario or PM2? Why wait until the fifth installment of Mario Party to finally start including a character that should've been there from the beginning?

Easy. He didn't meet the required height. Don't you remember those "You must be this tall to ride" signs at the carnival? Yeah, he never grew over the line.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 01:12:31 PM »
Easy. He didn't meet the required height. Don't you remember those "You must be this tall to ride" signs at the carnival? Yeah, he never grew over the line.

Then the babies shouldn't have been in either, or Koopa Troopa, or Mini-Bowser (ok, he might be tall enough, I just hate him is all).

Toad was in Mario Tennis 64 (and Mario Tennis for the Virtual Boy).. why take out a good character for 3-4 ok characters (Flyguy was just stupid, Paratroopa was ok [since he'd been in the 64 game], Wiggler was a surprise, and Petey was the worst one of them all [stupid baby Pirahna Plant, taking up valuable character space with his regurgitating noises and friggin huge head])

Martini

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 08:49:02 PM »
Yoshi

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 08:51:32 PM »
I think out of all the side characters, Toad is definitely best.  Yoshi, to me, can't really be considered a character.  He's more of a slave.  But, Toad--he's on par with the heroes.  That's what makes him cool.  He's a big league player.

Anyway, I despise his new voice...
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Martini

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 09:00:06 PM »
Yoshi is really considered mario's car.

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 09:18:43 PM »
Aha! That's a good resemblance, Martini. XD That is true, though. Lazy Mario...

Print