Poll

What's your opinion?

Swearing is wrong.
1 (3.7%)
I don't like it, but I don't care if others do it.
6 (22.2%)
Swearing isn't a big deal.
16 (59.3%)
I don't care/have mixed veiws.
4 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Print

Author Topic: What's your opinion on swearing/cussing?  (Read 14613 times)

« on: December 22, 2012, 12:14:08 AM »
On a different site, me and a friend are in an arguement about if swearing was bad.

She says people shouldn't swear because it's sinning and I'm saying that swearing isn't that big a deal and shouldn't be compared to problems like murder and world hunger.

So I decided to ask what the Fungi Forums think, is swearing bad or not a big deal?
Deal With It

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 01:30:48 AM »
As long as you're not using slurs, swear away. There's really no harm in swearing unless one's tone is harsh and directed at someone undeserving of corrosive speech.

She says people shouldn't swear because it's sinning

That argument only holds weight if you take the Bible or religion seriously. And you shouldn't.

EDIT: Have you considered adding a poll? That might give you a better idea of what we think.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 01:38:19 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 08:05:21 AM »
I don't, and I've never really been tempted to use it in my normal language. I have used it before, but it never felt right.

Words are easily manipulated, and it doesn't bother me that in front of certain people you can only use certain language. People take the words they use too seriously, and unless you're being deliberately insulting to someone with it (and you shouldn't), it shouldn't be a big deal.
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
It's rude. But so are burping, making puns about boners, and making jokes that imply you've slept with other people's mothers. There's a time, place and group of people around whom those things are acceptable as well. It's very much a When In Rome sort of thing. And trying to force Rome to do what you and you alone want it to do is a tyrannical attempt at conquest, and Rome has every right to hate you and rebel against you.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 04:15:48 PM »
The way I understand it, Japanese doesn't have "swear words" the way we think of them. There are very disrespectful ways to refer to people, but they're not treated like evil incantations the way they are in English -- everyone knows what the words are, and everyone knows not to use them. TV shows that would be the equivalent of TV-Y7 over here often have characters using those words, which are translated as "*******" and the like in faithful dubs, because those fictional characters are in situations where they have reason to be that angry at other people, and the kids watching are expected to understand that just because the people on TV say those things doesn't mean they should say them to people in real life, just like you shouldn't kill people in real life.

When you think about it, it's funny that kids' shows in America can have killing, but not swearing. Think through the logic on it. Why are swear words bad? Not because of any inherent power in the words themselves, but because of the feelings of anger and hate and disrespect that they are carrying. And ultimately, anger and hate and disrespect for others is bad because it eventually leads to killing them. It'd be like if it was okay to show people having sex, but not show them flirting (On the other hand, maybe it's like how it's okay to show people who have children without showing the sex they had to make the children?).

I think we focus too much on the taboo of the specific words. We call them "curse words" as though the words are magic. They're not. That's silly. And the whole argument for not letting kids know what the words are is "But once they know them, they'll start saying them!" which is probably only because we try so hard to keep them from saying them.

As to the religious aspect: The verse that Christians most often use to prohibit swearing is "Do not take the name of the Lord in vain." That would only cover things like "oh my God," "god[darn]," and "Jesus H. Christ" (and, if you look into the etymology, "egads" ("Oh gods") and "gadzooks" ("God's hooks," referring to the nails that held Jesus to the cross)) (also some Christians say that "jeez," "gee," "gosh," "golly," and the like also count, because you're really still saying the same thing). There's another verse or two somewhere in one of Paul's epistles about not having "coarse speech" that is sometimes also used when it's pointed out that most words we consider swears don't have anything to do with God's name.

However, in the original context of the "taking the Lord's name in vain" thing, it wouldn't have been referring to saying "oh my God" anyway. It would have referred to someone saying that God said something that he really didn't -- taking something that's really your own opinion and/or for your own gain and attaching the name of God to it to give it legitimacy. Westboro Baptist Church is an excellent example of people actually taking God's name in vain. Virtually all televangelists, too. And a lot of politicians.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
I don't really care, but it can be a little uncomfortable.

On a side note, the vote bars kinda look like the poll's giving the finger
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 10:24:07 PM »
I rejected a number of things as a child when moving from elementary to middle school, and one of those was the "cussing" vernacular. It was an ill-spirited and isolating approach, and I would wish it on no one.

Of course, I was similarly obvious in my distaste for smoking, and even my parents were not spared from a venomous glare when they were drinking what I viewed to be an excessive amount, at least for a year or two after learning how alcohol and depressants in general work.

I've changed very little in my own method of speech to this day, but now I recognize cussing/swearing to be an unimaginative call to attention, and not an attack on my own, generally businesslike habits. My days of self-induced reactions are over, but I don't think my individualistic sense of disdain will ever be able to ignore these single-syllable embellishments.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 10:36:04 PM »
I don't like when swear words are used maliciously or to put down someone; I don't like swear words that (intentionally or not) target a group of people (i.e. retard, gay, etc.);  I don't like hearing "God" followed by "[darn]."

I am perfectly fine with people swearing in frustration to themselves.  Swearing at someone is a different story.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 10:42:16 PM »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 11:21:49 PM »
Well [dukar].
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 01:46:09 AM »
Anyone who wants to see two hours of grade-A swearing check out the movie 44 Inch Chest. One of my favs.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 08:39:04 AM »
Relevant: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1913773,00.html

I kind of expected this to be the truth about involuntary swearing. Now I can back it up!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »
To anyone: If Sapph edits a swear out of your post (or The Chef; he is afraid of her), PM me and I'll restore it. I mean I've been doing it for the ones that I've noticed, but yeah. I'm kind of a dunce so I must have missed some. Searching "edited by Sapphira" only yields posts about this exact thing happening in 2009 because edit tags aren't part of the post.

To recap, there's a censor in the user control panel if you don't want to see them. I believe it's active by default, even. The rule is "don't evade the censor," not "no swearing," so Sapph is editing your posts to her liking and literally nothing else. But, I'm sure if she complains enough the rule will be changed for her. Until that happens, I'm on your side.
It's YOUR problem!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
Seriously? The only modding you do is undoing my actions? Way to undermine my authority.
Also, ever since I returned, I stopped editing swears the censors pick up, as I realize that's redundant. But I will and do edit the swears the censors miss, though. Which happens too much because the censors need updating and aren't perfect anyway. So you better not be reediting those back in.
This shouldn't even be an issue anymore.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 07:11:08 PM »
"No deliberately getting around the censors." If the word isn't in the censor, using the word isn't getting around the censor. Getting around the censor would be putting a period in the middle of a censored word, or slightly misspelling it so it gets through.

I'm not undermining anything. We rank the same, my made-up rules are just as good as yours, only I don't have made-up rules. Because they're not good at all.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:12:59 PM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

Print