Print

Author Topic: You OMG, You lose  (Read 24935 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2011, 07:41:02 PM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2011, 09:23:08 AM »
Saw Religilous, didn't lose.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2011, 05:16:37 PM »
- Jesus was not born on December 25th. It was apparently a traditional date for many sun festivals, and at some point, someone decided to Christianize the festival, and the Weird Al effect kicked in. Maybe. There's actually not a whole lot of evidence that the sun festivals even predate Christmas.
The actual date of his birth, as best as we can tell, was most likely some time in the spring or early summer.
(From what I read, there's no solid evidence that Mithra was believed to have been born on December 25th either. It's just assumed that he was because he was a sun god.)

- The Star of Bethlehem was not in the east. The magi who saw it were from the east, meaning the star was in the west. In ten minutes of casual Googling, I didn't notice any references for Krishna and Horus having stars (I did find a guy saying that he couldn't find any evidence for Horus having a star either, though), so I don't know if the direction actually matters (doubtful, considering how big of a stretch some of the other stuff in that list is), but it shows how much effort the creator of that list put into his or her research.

- "Performed miracles"? Really? Supernaturality itself is evidence of plagiarism?

- Mithra's "virgin birth" was that he came out of a rock.

- Krishna's "crucifixion" was being shot in the foot with an arrow, and dying underneath a tree.

- Horus's "virgin birth" was that his mother, a goddess, put together the cut-up pieces of her dead god husband and magically brought him back to life and also made him a new penis out of gold because his old one got eaten by a fish, and then zombie Goldmember got her pregnant.

- Horus's "twelve disciples" were four gods and maybe sixteen humans.

- Horus's "crucifixion" was a scorpion sting. He was resurrected by some dude, not by his own power.

But Christians are the ones who oversimplify (Seriously, "performed miracles"?).

(This is the guy (who happens to be an atheist) that I was talking about that said he couldn't find any sources that said Horus had a star. And now my post is officially better-sourced than that jpeg.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 05:25:02 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2011, 08:41:05 PM »
Thanks CE7. I expected no less from you.  Actually, I didn't expect "But Christians are the ones who oversimplify." 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2011, 10:33:21 PM »
I mean, I guess technically one could say that being born from a rock is a virgin birth insofar as it's not being born of a woman who wasn't a virgin. I guess rocks don't usually have sex. Unless you count Osiris's gold penis.

But yeah, very selective editing by the maker of that jpeg, in the parts where it's not just making stuff up wholesale (though it's more likely it was all just copied from Zeitgeist or whatever.). There are some claims out there that some parts of those guys' stories were more similar to Jesus's, but those claims and/or interpretations pretty much all originate within the last few centuries, and typically have far less historical support than, say, the empty tomb and post-death appearances of Jesus of Nazareth. If one's standards for historicity are so low as to accept unquestioningly that ancient Egyptians believed Horus was crucified on an ankh, as that guy's apparently are, it is then incredibly intellectually dishonest to reject the much better-attested historicity of Jesus.

And personally, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with mythologies with similarities to Jesus -- I mean, beyond big general archetypical stuff like "they both perform miracles" and "they both have power over death" and "they're both shiny and in heaven and live forever" -- as I'm becoming somewhat partial to C.S. Lewis's view of Christianity as "the true myth." But that's another story.

On topic: http://www.geekosystem.com/man-keeps-arm-raised-38-years/
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2011, 11:35:27 PM »
I lost to the fact that people on this forum are still willing to discuss religion.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2011, 08:31:01 PM »
Having recently lost a cat I was like...

, but my wife was (see final panel).  Although in our case my wife's replay came before I'd even game to a conclusion and I couldn't take it back. 

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2011, 01:24:44 PM »
Sorry for the double post, but...

I saw an ad for that shirt once.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »

A couple of days ago at a grocery store checkout a bag boy said, "Happy Thursday" to me.  Now I know what he meant. 
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:47:03 PM by Luigison »

« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2011, 06:24:50 PM »
It's kind of sad that the "Thor" guy screencapped his own post.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2011, 03:13:09 AM »
It's kind of sad that people like the first guy still argue about Christmas.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print