Print

Author Topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns out now in North America  (Read 14604 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: November 22, 2010, 04:17:12 AM »
Yesterday, Donkey Kong Country Returns launched in North America, the first region to receive DK's return to 2D platforming. Australia will get the game next, with a release date set for December 2. The development team behind Donkey Kong Country Returns, Retro Studios, also made the critically-acclaimed Metroid Prime trilogy.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 04:18:51 AM by Deezer »

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 12:06:38 AM »
It's a pretty beast game. It's kinda like New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 06:59:09 PM »
It's a pretty beast game.

Pretty beast? Is Candy in it?

This might be the game that convinces my parents to get a Wii. They've been talking about getting one since Brawl..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 09:56:55 PM »
No, none of the Kongs except Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Cranky Kong.

The game is great though. I beat it Monday, and it is definitely worthy of the Donkey Kong Country name.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 08:36:43 PM »
What's the save system like?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 12:15:55 PM »
It....saves. Automatically. Like most games today. The hell kinda question was that?

Also, there needs to be more discussion on this game posthaste. It's ffffing amazing.

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 02:42:30 PM »
He was asking because, as he complained in a different thread about how one of the Donkey Kong Country games has a "pay-to-save" system.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 02:55:53 PM by Luigalaxy »

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 02:49:19 AM »
DKC2's pay-to-save system is terrible. Honestly, 3 is the only one I've enjoyed.

1. The "pay-to-save" system made it more challenging.
2. You didn't enjoy the first one? At all? Come on man!
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 03:10:27 AM »
1. The "pay-to-save" system made it more challenging.

...In the wrong way.

2. You didn't enjoy the first one? At all? Come on man!

It had its moments, but... meh.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 08:14:40 AM »
Recap: Played but never offically owned DKC, owned (and, to some extent, disowned) DKC2 on the VC, and I'm intrigued to eventually give DKC3 a go.

Also, saying the pay-to-save system "made it more challenging" is like saying a hamburger tastes better if you tape a chocolate bar to the side: To some extent, you're correct, but it's not really being integrated into the experience very creatively or conveniently.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 06:07:13 PM »
Putting the cartridge into the SNES upside down also makes it more challenging.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 06:58:18 PM »
Although I didn't enjoy Donkey Kong Country 2's pay-to-save system very much, I thought the game as a whole was the best Donkey Kong Country game (maybe until I play Donkey Kong Country Returns).
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 08:38:38 PM »
In my humble (but correct) opinion,

DKC3 > DKC2 > DKC.

I'm thinking about purchasing this and/or Metroid: Other M with my birthday money.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 08:48:28 PM »
If you can go "and," I say go ahead and get Other M.  If you have to choose... well, on the one hand, DKCR looks a lot better than Other M (although I haven't played it); on the other hand, Other M really isn't too shabby, either.  Depends which genre you like better, I suppose.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 09:24:41 PM »
Get DKCR, because you'll never hear this:

"DK, I'm authorizing use of the Ground Pound."
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print