Print

Author Topic: Walkin' on Sunshine  (Read 38933 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 01:31:37 PM »
Memes will be the death of humor. I never want to get into a time machine, for fear of walking into a future where I can turn on the TV and find an 80-year-old Conan O'Brien sitting in a wheelchair shouting IMA FIRIN MAH LAZOR while the audience laughs uproariously.
every

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »
Memes will be the death of humor.

Uh-huh, yeah, I'm sure.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 04:23:03 PM »
I'm sure too. Only not sarcastically like PL.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »
The problem with memes is that they thrive on contemporary cultural references which will be obselete in five years. In a decade from now, nobody will know, let alone care, about "SPARTAAA", "Why so Serious?", All Your Base are Belong to Us", motivational posters or even yours truly. Of course, critics may simply be opposed to memetrics because supporting them expresses conformity to the greater social zeitgeist.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2009, 06:47:49 PM »
They become obsolete because the 12-year-olds (or at least teenagers with minds similar to those of 12-year-olds) who enjoy them no matter how repetitive they get drive them to the point that they are not funny within a week. And there is no end to them because by the time you finally outgrow Internet Memes, there are still little kids finding the Internet every day and finding the Zero Wing dialog hilarious.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2009, 06:50:02 PM »
Of course, critics may simply be opposed to memetrics because supporting them expresses conformity to the greater social zeitgeist.

Orrrr maybe we don't think they're funny.
No! I don't want that!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2009, 06:50:37 PM »
Zero Wing is still hilarious.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2009, 07:44:55 PM »
Only if it's your first time hearing about it.

Actually, that does have some truth to it, though. Older memes, like All Your Base (mostly because there's more than one funny line), Chuck Norris facts (due to the endless stream that's still going, which still manages to crank out a few funny ones), and even Rickrolling (if used creatively, which is becoming increasingly rare), are far funnier than the repurposed movie quotes that seem to comprise %80 percent of modern memes. Basically, you can tell if a (new) meme is worth having around if you can present it in its proper context (or lack thereof) to a non-Internet-savvy person and make them laugh, even a little bit.
every

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2009, 08:43:22 PM »
Be mindful that some of the cases mentioned above have transcended the barriers of memehood to become timeless, iconic figures in the pantheon of internet history. Pedobear, Cockmongler and Chuck Norris needn't ever worry about falling out of contemporary sociological favour. Perhaps memes also enjoy success because only its originators and those "in the know" of its context get them, leaving the rest to be subjected to perplexion, a la the poor souls who were publically humiliated in Borat.

...That hardly made any sense whatsoever, did it?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »
If something's funny, I laugh at it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 10:34:31 PM »
Show me one non-nerd who knows who Pedobear or Cockmongler are. Hell, even I don't know who Cockmongler is.
every

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 11:09:46 AM »
The vast majority of memes are only popular amongst nerds in the first place. By the way, admitting that you don't know who Cockmongler is on an internet forum is the equivalent to asking who Elvis Presley is at a music shop.

Richard C. Mongler, better known as Cockmongler.

« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 11:56:45 AM »
Weegee, nothing you say will convince the other members otherwise, okay? If they hate memes, no amount of reasoning will do you any good.

As for the people who hate memes, please accept that some of us find them funny. It's not the end of the world if someone likes something you don't.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 12:47:10 PM »
...and ending the argument altogether is the solution?
"it's always the present"

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 01:33:52 PM »
THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT SHUTTING THE HELL UP ABOUT MEMES
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 01:35:48 PM by SolidShroom »

Print