Print

Author Topic: 20th Anniversary of Super Mario Bros. 3  (Read 16639 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:13:47 PM »
Twenty years ago today, Super Mario Bros. 3 was officially released in the USA.

That's right, it's the China & Aster Vigintennial of the greatest Mario game ever made!

In honor of this memorable occasion, WTMK will be playing a special Super Mario Bros. 3 playlist all weekend long. Hear the magic!

WTMK's Super Mario Bros. 3 20th Anniversary Spectacular: http://themushroomkingdom.net/wtmk.shtml
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 08:52:43 PM by DavidDayton »
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:20:11 PM »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 07:04:44 PM »
Very true, Turtlekid. However, SMB3 probably wins out in terms of its influence.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 08:09:16 PM »
Hmm.. It has been awhile since I've played SMB3. I'll have to set aside some time to do so.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 08:53:27 PM »
Now updated to reflect the special SMB3 WTMK broadcasting, all weekend long.

All Super Mario Bros. 3 -- all the time!

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »

Indeed, you are right... all three of those games demonstrate why SMB3 was greater than and and all of them... ESPECIALLY Super Mario World.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 10:29:53 PM »
I just had my nostalgia gland removed the other day, so could someone explain what makes SMB3 the best, again?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 11:18:06 PM »
Very true, Turtlekid. However, SMB3 probably wins out in terms of its influence.

That's like saying George Washington was the best U.S. president cause he influenced every president after him.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 11:35:14 PM »
Not really; I'm saying that its content was influential. It introduced flight, costumes, a navigatable world map, and countless other elements to the series. Some yet consider it the greatest Mario game ever for its quality of production and near-perfection of the platformer genre. So, it's more like calling Abraham Lincoln the greatest President for passing the Thirteenth Amendment -- that is, for its groundbreaking achievements.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 02:14:29 AM »
Achievements or not, it's still a [darn] good game and still deserves recognition for being the better of the Mario games on the Nes, AND introducing a Plethora of gameplay additions and mechanics that are still in use today...which, yeah, were mentioned previously. Sure, it's not the GREATEST of all time...but to deny it's place in gaming history and in the hearts of those who grew up on the game all those years ago is just, to me, ridiculous.
It's still a really fun, really polished title that's amusing and bewitching players even today...it's a hard one to beat for the select few consoles back then.
All worlds shall soon be ruled by the one...Count Bleck!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 07:05:49 AM »
It introduced flight, costumes, a navigatable world map, and countless other elements to the series.

SMW perfected everything that SMB3 introduced.  Well, except for the costumes thing.  But who needs costumes when you can have Yoshi?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 08:52:42 AM »
I think going EGM-style here and calling it "The Greatest Mario Game of Its Time" might be more applicable.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 11:34:25 AM »
I think going EGM-style here and calling it "The Greatest Mario Game of Its Time" might be more applicable.

BLEHehehehe...*ahem* I mean...This! :P
All worlds shall soon be ruled by the one...Count Bleck!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2010, 11:36:37 AM »
I, for one, prefer the much tighter control of SMB3 to the loose, more imprecise-feeling control of SMW.
And I like a lot of the levels and suits better.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 12:41:47 PM »
[SMW img]
[SM64 img]
[SMG img]

Add a SMB3 pic to the top and you've got the best Mario games ever in ascending order.  However, I have to say I didn't care much for SMB3's tight control (or SMG's loose, for that matter).  The suits were all unique, and SMB3 probably had the most diverse types of levels until SM64.  Not to mention how huge an improvement it was on the first two Super Mario Bros. (and Super Mario Doki Doki USA).
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Print