Print

Author Topic: Does it matter the order to play Paper Mario games?  (Read 14888 times)

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 02:56:25 AM »
Super Paper Mario is an awesome game. There is absolutely no reason not to play it.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 07:36:58 AM »
Despite the combat in SPM paling in comparison to TTYD's unique, simplistic RPG-style battles, SPM is worth playing, but I'd recommend that if you do play it, do it before you play the first two, so the shock won't hit you as hard.

"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 11:26:11 AM »
"Combat", by which you mean pretty much normal Mario platforming...
That was a joke.

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 11:39:22 AM »
Despite the combat in SPM paling in comparison to TTYD's unique, simplistic RPG-style battles

"Paling" in comparison? How so?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 02:58:32 PM »
Damage-based platforming with wonky hit detection just isn't a recipe for success.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »
"Paling" in comparison? How so?
All you have to do to beat most enemies and bosses is move slightly to either side to compensate for the recoil of your last jump.  To cite a rather extreme instance, it's possible to reach level 99 in about half an hour with this method (that's not to say that TTYD door doesn't have its game-breakers, but they're a tad bit harder to set up and still require you to go through most, if not all, of the story to use them). 

RPG and platformer battle mechanics can be mixed, and mixed well, I just didn't care for how SPM's battles were done.  Also, Weegee has a point about the collision detection.

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 03:31:56 PM »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »
...what is similar in the gameplay?  I fail to see any notable similarity.
The way the game is set up is similar; the game is divided into chapters where Mario collects a certain item and then returns to a hub area, and the HP/Attack/Defense system is similar (although not in RPG), with items, coins to spend, and all of that. It's essentially a platforming game in an RPG format.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 06:52:05 PM »
Actually, everything but the actual gameplay is virtually a carbon copy, what with all the similar elements and the re-used models/sprites and sound effects.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 07:16:16 PM »
I hope you realize how little sense you're making.
That was a joke.

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 07:44:41 PM »
Why? He has a point, although recycling good graphics and FX isn't necessarily a negative tactic.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »
Look how well it has worked for the Pokemon series too.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 10:02:10 PM »
And Mario Galaxy, and NSMB, and Phantom Hourglass... Well, maybe not "good" for that last one.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 10:29:11 PM »
but I never finished it, due to it being way too easy

Haven't heard that one before...
Formerly quite reasonable.

Print