Print

Author Topic: Sonic/Mario crossover?  (Read 11265 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2006, 09:13:06 AM »
Here's the plot in brief: Eggman was studying the trans-dimentional properties of the Chaos Emeralds(like what was seen in the old Sonic games) and accidently opened a portal to the Mushroom Kingdom where the Chaos Emerald was pulled. Eggman went through and wound up in Bowser's Castle. Bowser just so happened to find the Emerald, whihc Eggman wants back. This leads into a conversation about thier archenemies and their evil plots to destroy them and stuff. It is then setteled that they'd help each other out by send Sonic and Mario to each other's worlds using the powser of the Emeralds and the Stars. So when SOnic goes after Eggman, he is subjected to the CHaos-powered portal to the Mushroom Kingdom and when Mario tries to stop Bowser, he uses a Star to wish Mario to Sonic's World. The game picks up from there. Mario has to play the levels from the Sonic games and Sonic must traverse the stages from the Mario games. Eventually, they'll find all seven Chaos Emeralds and 50 Stars, and discover that Eggman and Bowser were working together all along. This leads to a final battle in the space between the dimentions where Super Sonic and Oni Mario(with the power of Wing, Metal, Vanish, and Invincibility) must fight against Egga Bowser (a robot Giga Bowser with an Eggman mustache).
How's that?

Wii

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2006, 12:31:05 PM »
That actually sounds pretty good

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2006, 04:12:51 PM »
This all sounds good....................for fanfiction.  Trust me; the only ways a Mario/Sonic crossover would actually happen is either through Sega allowing Nintendo to put Sonic in a SSB game, or Nintendo lets Sega develop a Mario spinoff.  Look at MK Arcade GP (which allows you to race as a Pac Man character) and Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (which will let you play as a Square character).

As per the Sonic in SSB rumor: The whole thing started because of an April Fools joke played by EGM, in which it was said that Sonic and Tails could be unlocked in SSBM through some nigh-impossible feat.  After the rumor was disproved, and the joke got exposed, people with too much freetime started making their own rumors.  Sonic is not in SSB (yet).  However, there is hope.  According to polls, Sonic is the most wanted character to be added for SSBB in both U.S. and Japan.  So, if Nintendo adds any more 3rd party characters, Sonic will be the most likely candidate.  In conclusion, will Sonic be in SSBB?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  Yes, we all want to see the battle of the century (or decade at least) between the Italian plumber and the blue hedgehog, but don't be too disapointed if Sonic doesn't make it.

PS: Actually, the "Play as [insert character name] in SSB(M)" rumors have been around since the first SSB game.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2006, 09:38:39 PM »
Well, it's always been known that crossovers only usually happen when a company or product is selling badly. An example of this happened a few years ago when the Rugrats met The Wild Thornberrys. A few months later, their showing were rarer and they stopped making more, or so i've heard.
Also, plumber meets blue talking hedgehog? I dunno. I like the idea, but I still say it's cheesey. It would be good in a Super Smash Bros., or in a sports game, but it could be good in any, if done well.

The difference here is that these aren't characters that have absolutely nothing to do with one another (well, yes they are but hear me out).  Sonic and Mario have been the subject of videogame debates for over a decade and a half.  Being the mascots of two of the biggest gaming giants in the world at the time, practically everybody who had played games from both series had eventually wondered at one time or another, "I wonder what would happen if these two fought/teamed up?"  It's been a crossover that's been waited for by a large number of people for many years.  Heck, certain gaming magazines wrote articles and made cover-art based on the premise.  Other crossovers, like Scooby Doo meets the Three Stooges or, as you mentioned, "The Rugrats Go Wild", are basically just cash-cows attempting to bring together two series that nobody would ever expect to come together (unless you're a huge Nicktoons junkie).  Anyway, bottom line is that there's a big difference between trying to breathe life into two dying franchises by mashing them together and bringing two legends into the arena for a fated duel that everybody hoped would come someday.

For along time I thought that the accidental opening of a portal to each other's dimensions was the way to go.  But then, as I thought more about it I began to turn to some of the crossover kings: Marvel and DC comics.  If you look at the majority of the crossovers that they've had with one another (specifically, the Marvel vs DC mini-series in 1996) the universes crossing over with one another isn't accidental, but deliberately caused by external forces.  In the case of Marvel vs DC, the instigators were two cosmic brothers, each holding power over one of the universes respectively, who purposefully merged the worlds together.  This is what I think would make a good storyline for a Sonic/Mario crossover.  Imagine there are two multi-dimensional, deity-like beings, one good and one evil.  If anybody here is familiar with the Transformers universe, think of them as analogues of Unicron and Primus; the yin and yangs of the universe.  But these "gods" were unable to directly and physically interact with the dimensions that they watch over.  However, they are able to influence the inhabitants in order to nudge them in the direction of doing their bidding.  Now, the evil god thrives on chaos and destruction, and sees great potential to fulfill these feats through the means of the Chaos Emeralds in the Sonic-verse.  However, since Sonic seems to keep them from falling into the "right" hands over and over again (which would be Robotnik's), he decides to give Eggman a little help in the form of our good old King of the Koopas, Bowser.  Thus, he summons Bowser to act out his wishes (possibly by sending a herald to speak for him, ala Silver Surfer for Galactus) and tears a hole between the two worlds, allowing the King and his troops to march through.  However, the benevolent god sees that he must act quickly in order to stop these deeds from being carried out, and thus alerts Mario and Luigi in the same manner and sends them into the dimensional tear to stop Bowser.  Anyway, it's just a preliminary idea and it could take any number of forms springing from that premise.

I saw somebody mention earlier the Spyro/Crash crossover for the GBA.  I've always figured it would work much like that would, and also a bit like the two Legend of Zelda games, Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons.  But I'll get to that in a second.  First, I want to point out the major flaw in what could have been a very decent crossover game, Spyro and Crash.  The big mistake that they made with these games, is that they changed the gameplay styles of each game to fit one another.  If you've ever played both Spyro the Dragon and Crash Bandicoot, then you'll realize that they have very different feels to them.  Crash is usually restricted to the ground and pretty much has two moves, spinning and jumping, and is restricted to levels which are, for the most part, a straight line.  Spyro, however, focuses much more on flying through the air, dashing and ramming enemies, breathing fire, and so on and so forth, as well as being given a much larger field of movement which allows for point-of-view changes and running in circles and all that good stuff (if you like to run in circles).  However, for the dinky little sidescroller crossover, they toned both the characters down, specifically Spyro, in order to make them have similar gameplays.  What resulted was a game that flopped because it had almost nothing to do with the predecessors of each series aside from the character images.  What they should have done, was let each game keep their individual gameplay styles.  Like the aformentioned crossover, Mario and Sonic would each have their own cartridge (or disc).  However, instead of trying to make them similar to one another and thus making them completely alien games, the Mario game would play like a Mario game and the Sonic game would play like a Sonic game.  The only thing that matters here is storyline, in my opinion.  Each game would tell a different aspect of the same story with the title characters crossing pathes every so often, much like the A and B games of Resident Evil 2.  You can choose which one to play first, Mario or Sonic, and after beating that scenario you would throw in its counterpart and see the otherside of the story shown from the other character's perspective.  Do you see what I'm saying?
-----------------------------
"The bigger they are, the harder I fight."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2006, 08:33:33 AM »
My idea was that there'd be two sides of the story to choose, Mario's and Sonic's. The gameplay would be based heavily on the classic games of each series(you should've read my previous posts) only Mario would be in the Sonic levels and Sonic would be in the Mario levels.
As for your idea of the whole God-figure thing, it's a good idea, but I didn't want to add any new characters, just wanted to limit the cast to those who appeared in the classic games(even though I like the DC/Marvel crossovers). Thanks for adding to my topic though, Kamikaze.

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2006, 12:35:07 PM »
Actually, I was trying to back you in regards to the whole gameplay thing.  I guess I probably should have thrown a quote in there somewhere.

As for the not having any new characters, I know what you mean by keeping it simple and not mucking it all up, but sometimes new blood is crucial to the story.
-----------------------------
"The bigger they are, the harder I fight."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2006, 03:45:18 PM »
Sometimes, but not all the time. New characters are one of the problems in most of the recent Sonic games, so I decided to move away from that. Besides, the game is supposed to focus on Mario and Sonic. They are the stars. I don't want some other guy stealing the spotlight just because they're a plot device.

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2006, 01:04:08 AM »
No. I like Mario and everything, but he'd look pretty lame with Sonic.

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2006, 02:13:55 AM »
I've toyed with this idea myself, but the fact is Sonic and Mario just don't click together well enough to have a game together.  I can however see Sonic in SSBB, as Sonic Team is going down the toilet, and it would, IMO, be excellent positive publicity for Sonic and future Sonic games.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2006, 08:40:29 AM »
Why the heck does everyone keep saying that Mario and Sonic Won't do well enough together!? I"m telling you it can work!! Look:

http://boards.ign.com/sonic_the_hedgehog/b5224/123360881/p1/?249

It just so happens that I, as a member of the IGN Boards(under the name Rob-Bert)have teamed with a couple of other users to work on this idea. Read through the whole thread. Anybody who says that this combination can't work has no sense of creativity whatsoever.

« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2006, 08:43:12 PM »
I find that really funny.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2006, 09:04:38 PM »
You find what really funny? That thread or my post?

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2006, 08:59:16 PM »
Sorry, but I just can't agree with the idea of them in a crossover. Just because Nintendo and Sega are friends now doesn't mean they have to do that....

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2006, 09:04:52 PM »
Why not? Where's your sense of creativity?

Print