Print

Author Topic: Smash Bros playable at E3...NOT!  (Read 6015 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: July 04, 2007, 12:00:42 AM »

If you were hoping someone from TMK was going to get hands-on impressions of Super Smash Bros. Brawl at the new Min-E3, then hope no more. Unfortunately, a rep for Nintendo has confirmed that the game will not be playable due to Nintendo's other great offerings and playable demos such as...er....They didn't really mention what those titles were going to be, as far as I can see. Nintendo has not ruled out the possibility of the game being there in trailer form, and also put to rest any concerns that the game has been delayed by saying, "I wouldn't read anything into this as far as release date. It's still 2007."

Take that last sentence as you will, and make sure to stay tuned here for the latest updates on SSBB.

Link: ign.com
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 08:15:56 AM »
I know all the Brawl fanatics are really PO'd, but I'm just peeved that Nintendo would crush us like this. Aw, well, the new E3 already was gonna suck anyway ("First they took away our booth babes, then they took away the whole ******* show. But E3 will live on in meeting rooms, 'cause that's what videogames are all about: Meeting rooms.").
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 01:51:22 PM »
Playable demos of unfinished games are a sham, anyway. No other industry has to put up with that crap. "Hey, let us watch two complete scenes of your movie that's not out yet! Let us read two chapters of that book!"

Creating demos just wastes everyone's time.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 02:06:17 PM »
No other industry is interactive.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 02:50:16 PM »
Obviously, but the other industries don't have to show jack until the final product is released. How much pre-release info about Harry Potter 7 has there been? Zero. Barely anything comes out about movies besides the offical trailer until a few critics see it a week in advance - in its final form. Music albums release one or two complete songs as singles before the true album release.

Meanwhile, games are stuck in glass houses from about a year before release on, and frankly it's pretty stupid and a waste of dev time.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 03:07:16 PM »
Clearly, all demos revolving around E3, an artificial deadline, is stupid and a waste of time.  However:

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 03:28:25 PM »
Another argument for not having playable Brawl and probably what Nintendo's actually thinking is this: Brawl needs zero hype. It will sell eight billion copies. Let people play, and possibly discover the goodness in, other small titles. If a Brawl demo was sitting there, I know what the journalists would be playing, watching, and writing feverishly about.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 03:39:52 PM »
Meh, I don't care. I don't get to go to E3 anyway. If anyone's going to complain about this matter it ought to be those who are going. And LD is right--hurry up with the final product, already.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 05:02:41 PM »
Obviously, but the other industries don't have to show jack until the final product is released. How much pre-release info about Harry Potter 7 has there been?
Well, duh. It's the last Harry Potter book. "Oh, look, here's who kills who. Enjoy!" In fact, playable demos work best for games like Brawl: There's not really a plot, so they don't give anything away ANYWAY when people play it. I know (almost) everyone wants games and movies and books on the same level--more or less--but...c'mon. They're videogames.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 06:32:04 PM »
Well, all playable demos really do is make you jealous of TMK staff, if you think about it. >:P
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 09:29:49 PM »
Another argument for not having playable Brawl and probably what Nintendo's actually thinking is this: Brawl needs zero hype.
This argument is more valid.  Nintendo apparently has several new IPs that they want to show off at E3.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 12:31:24 AM »
Yeah, well I expect Disaster: Day of Crisis, Project H.A.M.M.E.R., and all those other games that Nintendo announced before launch and then forgot about (like they always do).

Print