Print

Author Topic: The scheme behind mailbags... ?  (Read 3351 times)

Fifth

• Quadruped
« on: February 23, 2001, 12:04:50 AM »
I was looking down the list of updates the other day and I noticed a strange pattern:  update, mailbag.  Update, mailbag.  Update, mailbag!

That's right, every other update was a mailbag.

This got me thinking:  Deezer gaurantees that the site be updated once every five days, and he has (as far as I know) always kept true to this.  But nowadays, half of all the updates are mailbags.  Of course, that can be considered a fair update, but if it's regular every week, there really wouldn't be a point to announcing it; it could just be assumed.

So, I thought, what if there's other news that might be more important to the Mario fan populace than mailbags?  We'll only get updates on this stuff once a week instead of every five days!  Perhaps Deezer should leave the mailbags off to make room for other important updates.  As of now, he only has to find a true update once a week.

...unless that's the point.

So I thought about it some more.  Does important, Mario-related news come so regularly?  Probably not.  And is it really so much simpler to respond to a bunch of e-mails than to make a decent update for the site?  Most likely.  Even so, Deezer doesn't even write the mailbag responces every week (though I've no proof he did the other updates either... still) so that's even less that needs to be done.

Anyway, such is my theory:  the weekly mailbags were adapted so that Deezer would have to update the site less often without having to go against the regular update plan.

...Any truth to this?

Absorbed in the clouds, a voice from afar said
"With the right device you can make a pattern grow,
or you can tune up your car."
Go Moon!

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2001, 07:06:43 AM »
well hes pretty lazy what i hear. i know he up dates on Wednesday and Friday. but only on those days
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2001, 07:06:45 AM »
well hes pretty lazy what i hear. i know he up dates on Wednesday and Friday. but only on those days

It''s a me Marionut#1
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2001, 11:49:30 PM »
Hmm... you forgot a few things....

* WTMK updates often as well...
* Mario news comes more slowly
* Various assistant editors help out
* There's always the rumor that DavidDayton and Deezer are the same guy.

Heheheh

Let's do the Mario, all together now!

http://codebook.stals.com
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2001, 01:14:24 AM »
Interesting theory, Fifth. First of all, you're forgetting that the "updated at least once every five days" line disappeared from the splash page when it changed to the "20 Years of Mario" design at the start of 2001, but I still update at least once every five days. It's like a habit, now. Technically, adding the mailbag is an update (seeing as how I have to convert most of them to HTML when it's not my turn to answer letters, and then upload it), so you're getting two updates every week! Plus, whenever I stumble onto Mario news, I usually sneak it in to the "Mario News" sidebar between updates, even if I don't point out the new news as a separate update.

Second of all, yes, I am the one who updates. MEGAߥTE could update, theoretically, but let me put it this way: I've been absolutely shocked that he's gotten two mailbags done, and in on time for me.

Third of all, as David said, I never mention when WTMK is updated, granted those updates have come more slowly lately due to lack of new material. I was planning on adding something to the WTMK page that tells of the latest playlist change, but these updates will never be mentioned on the front page. I'll probably add that to the WTMK page tonight after I update WTMK -- I have some new Paper Mario, Mario Party, and Mario Tennis stuff I wanna spin.

Fourth of all, I don't get paid for working on this site. So, as you might expect, I work part-time. Still going to college part-time trying to figure out what the **** I wanna do with my life. Still jammin' on the guitar every day. Still working on Video Game Jam (http://www.kontek.net/vgjam/) which has suffered miserably lately due to lack of time. Still sleeping, eating, playing video games... you get the idea. Anyway, if this site was my full-time job, it would be updated a heck of a lot more.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2001, 11:37:01 AM »
I had noticed that that updates have done from two every 10 days to two every 7 days, even if they are mostly mailbags.

I had also noticed News going in infrequently. All the more reason for me turning up once in a while ^_^
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

Print