Print

Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Some Notes from my Playing Today  (Read 7594 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: October 19, 2007, 01:40:54 AM »
So, I played it quite a bit today... some thoughts and observations:

* Peach's "Daisy" outfit is currently missing. She has the Daisy color scheme (brown hair), but no texture changes (daisy earrings, different crown, etc..) like in Melee. This seems like an odd omission.

* Regarding Samus and Fox's "alternate outfits" -- I'm going to have to check into this tomorrow, but I didn't leave the expo with that impression at all. While I'm hesistant to say much about Samus (I'll try her color scheme out tomorrow, although toggling through the colors showed NO alternate textures or designs, JUST color schemes), I do know I saw Fox in the "Star Wolf" coloring... and frankly, the only difference I saw was the color scheme. If Samus has a Fusion Suit, it should be obvious, and I'll look for it tomorrow -- otherwise, well, I think the reports of "different costumes" at this point are merely different color schemes. Dark Link appears to just be a different color scheme too.

* Multiple taunts are fun, but I can't tell if there is ANY way to CHOOSE a taunt in Wii Remote play. This might be a problem, as some taunts have lag (Mario's growth).

* Still not sure about Mario's FLUDD. It seems to be called by D+B when standing, but I'm not entirely sure what makes it later vanish OR if you can do anything else with it after it is called. You can't seem to drop it as an item.

* Peach feels more "floaty". Her hip smash attacks have little white flash heart animations.

* I really, REALLY hate Wii Remote controls.

* Classic Controller is growing on me, but I still want the Wavebird.

* Adventure Mode looks neat -- they were showing various Adventure Mode clips. Wario appears to be a total jerk in this game.

Overall, the game FEELS like an enhanced SSBM as opposed to "a brand new game" -- adventure mode and the like will take care of that, though.

IF it's true that there are no alternate costumes at the moment... I find that rather significant. Removing Peach's "Daisy" outfit really makes no sense at all... if that's gone, it would seem MORE possible that there is a universal "second costume" or "costume selection" option for ALL the characters coming later. But, well, speculation.

Oh, another thing -- Final Smash attacks generally seem WEAKER than we are all expecting them to be. Avoiding or surviving the attacks isn't impossible by a long shot. The game seems very well balanced even with the Final Smash attacks... Stationary Final Smashes (like Mario's) can be avoided if you are quick, Speedy Final Smashes (Super Sonic) are hard for the player to control, etc..

Summary of New Adventure Mode Stuff (from David's Memory)

* Donkey Kong stage (Donky and Diddy) : Bullet Bills blast into an island. DK and Diddy begin fighting stuff. Level begins. Giant goomba boss. Etc. etc. Ending cutscene -- DK and Diddy find bananas, then BOWSER appears and growls at them.

* Arena - you guys know this one. Mario/Kirby, fight, Pirahna w/ Princesses, you save one, Mario goes flying away (presumably to end up with Sonic)
New Stuff: Arena, Kirby and Peach standing near each other, Zelda crawling out of her broken cage. Suddenly, motorcycle crashes into the arena. Wario hops off, pulls out a futuristic gun, shoots Zelda, she turns into a "Smash Statue" (with base), Wario cackles, picks up the statue, laughs and rides off.

I forget if anything else was really new... it showed some of the actual platforming parts... Pit fighting a giant crowd of the Eggplant-man-looking Darkness guys...
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 01:44:44 AM »
Samus definitely has the Fusion suit because I played with it.

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 02:56:45 AM »
Samus definitely has the Fusion suit because I played with it.

Well, that's annoyingly weird.  Why in the world doesn't Peach have her Daisy outfit?
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 04:39:15 AM »
Well, that's annoyingly weird.  Why in the world doesn't Peach have her Daisy outfit?

Perhaps Daisy will be a playable character?
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 08:26:12 AM »
Since she does have the Daisy color scheme, it could be an oversight or something that just wasn't finished for this version.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 06:56:38 PM »
Oh-ho-ho, I'd surely go mad if Daisy's screechiness were in Brawl.
I can't imagine how evil the lone Remote controls must be... not jump button, imprecision of thisandthat... I'm glad GC controllers will be usable, really. But maybe I'll get a Classic Controller...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 02:25:01 AM »
No, the classic controller has problems.  Stick with the GC controller.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 02:03:47 PM »
I didn't read too extensively (gotta go!), but it's good to hear some honest opinions from one of "the people".
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 02:39:48 PM »
Problems as in, needs to be fine-tuned, or is it the button layout?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 03:12:12 PM »
'No rumble', that's a Classic-killer right there in my book.

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 03:51:45 PM »
I agree with LD. I need mah rumble!
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 05:14:42 PM »
Seems like when using the Classic Controller the game could make the remote rumble. Then you just put it in your pocket.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2007, 06:06:47 PM »
That's a... stimulating idea, but the remote rumble is still much, much weaker than the mighty GCN controller.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2007, 06:48:49 PM »
I know for a fact that everybody who buys this game will be physically unable to resist trying every possible control scheme at least once--and that goes for me two--but I think (like most people) I'll stick with the good ol' GCN pad. It's tough having to admit to myself that the Wii Remote can't do it all sometimes, but... it can't.

As for no Daisy skin... I didn't know it was that big of a deal--in fact, I didn't even fully realize Peach was the only character with a color change that dramatically altered their appearance till, like, last year. To be honest, I see her as just one of those nobodies Nintendo ressurected to fill up spin-off rosters and save face over making a Mario game where the princess wasn't Peach because the translators had better things to do.

I'm still looking forward to this game, though!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 11:26:54 AM »
The classic controller design is just terrible for Smash.  The low position of the left stick makes it easy to slightly tilt upwards by accident, resulting in an unwanted jump, and the stick just feels loose in general.  Even worse is the position of ZR, which is used to grab.  It's hard to reach and easy to forget about.  The face button mappings are okay, except slightly awkward when trying to hold the controller so that you can accommodate the previous two flaws that I mentioned.  Thankfully, buttons are supposed to be remappable in the final version.

I found the Wiimote controller easier to pick up at first, but it has too many shortcomings to be used competitively.  For instance, you can't make short, fine movements since double tapping a direction makes you dash.  The B button is the defensive button, which again is a little hard to use given its position and easy to forget about.  Grabbing is even worse since you have to either press minus or use B and 2.  And I hate using up for jumping, though I've met people who preferred that, even in SSBM.

I tried to use the Nunchuk control with my own Nunchuk, but then made me take it out and said I couldn't use it.  They had a lot of strange restrictions there.

Print