Print

Author Topic: Wii Web Browser - Dec 22  (Read 6586 times)

« on: December 19, 2006, 02:07:25 PM »
I'll let this comic from the Opera website do the 'splainin.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 02:19:45 PM »
Nice. I wonder if by "trial" they mean it's simply a beta version, or if its features will be limited?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 03:18:57 PM »
...Who the heck are those ninja and spider guys? Are they mascots of Opera?

Anyway, nice information, LD. I guess by "trial", they mean it will have limited features, like no support for programs like Google maps. By spring '07, they'll release a finalized version, but it'll cost you.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 03:44:59 PM »
Hmmm... it never occurred to me that the trial might have limitations. But yes, in June you must pay for it. Yurgh.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 04:16:26 PM »
From nintendo-europe.com:

The final version of the Opera browser will be available at the end of March 2007, and will be free for all Wii owners to download through the end of June. After June 2007, the browser will be available for download in the Wii Shop Channel for 500 Wii Points.

So, it looks like we'll still get free Opera (assuming this doesn't apply strictly to Europe), and even if we don't, 500 Wii Points would be worth it.

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 06:53:13 PM »
I'm surprised they didn't just give it 2000 Wii Points or something. I mean, it sounds like a really great deal.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 08:16:40 PM »
$20, for a free web browser? You must be joking.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 09:40:47 PM »
Great. I was wondering when the web browser would finally come out.

Hopefully the Beta isn't too limited.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2006, 04:11:19 AM »
I am posting this from my Wii!

:D

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 06:10:50 AM »
:( LD beat me to it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 02:27:30 PM by SolidShroom »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2006, 06:25:57 AM »
One thing I'm curious about is whether or not one IP address is shared among all the Internet Channel users. Also, I'm not sure what this "limited" funcionality is.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 06:28:04 AM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2006, 06:48:21 AM »
Well, a forum admin could tell you right now, as all IPs are logged on each post (they might have to change their forum skin for a minute, though, depending on the way they have it set up.  Usually, a normal poster would simply see "Logged", so I'm guessing they can't view the IP on the default skin)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2006, 12:18:14 PM »
Well why would the Wii on your network at your house using your Internet connection not use its own IP?
That was a joke.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2006, 03:22:55 PM »
I was thinking all communication would go from your network, through Nintendo's servers, before reaching its destination.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2006, 04:29:19 PM »
What do Nintendo's servers have to do with this, and why would that affect your IP anyway? It's not like it's going through WFC at any rate. The Wii is being used as a web browser, it's not connecting to some Nintendo service that has a web browser on it.
That was a joke.

Print