Print

Author Topic: WarpRattler's Gaming Challenge  (Read 22914 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 10:52:42 AM »
36.1M. Would've been way higher if I was better at hitting the main ramp when I actually need to (for the dizzy bonus, of course).

Make sure you get the double (or triple) skill shot bonuses. Double skill shot is an easy 1.5M at the beginning of every ball, including locked balls.

Jersey Devil bonus suuuuucks. Hard as hell to earn consistently and not worth enough to bother with, but it comes up all the time.

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 02:27:04 PM »
Jersey devil is up the right side, right? Yeah, that's a pain to hit when I want.

I like that the dizzy bonus even helps you out by slowing the ball down, and I still have so much trouble with it. And only when I need to hit it. Any other time it's fine.

Do you ever go into the haunted house thing? I tried for a while, but I'm so awful at the vertical flipper thing it stops being worth it. Really I only get it by mistake when going for multiball.

Yeah, I always go for the double skill shot. I have a lot of trouble hitting the ramp consistantly with the upper right flipper, it's just not worth the risk. But I found out that you have a decent window if you miss it but don't hit anything else, if you get the ball back up there it will still reward the double/super. Then I like sending it up to the bumpers after to give a moments breather after the very specific timing sections. 
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »
The haunted house is one of the most lucrative scoring mechanics in the game (outside of the jackpots) due to how easy it is to abuse. You should be getting at least 1M every time you get up there. (Try launching your ball out of the right side of the lower floor so that it gets abducted by the UFO.)

Triple skill shot is totally worth the effort to learn the timing, since that's 3.5M at the beginning of every ball. That's an easy 17.5M (five balls, counting both ball-lock spots, and not counting any extra balls you may earn or any extra slots opened in the reel by activating phenomena) just from launching the ball.

By the way, if you didn't notice, the current score to beat is actually 41M, since I played another credit before I left for work. A lot of that came from dominating skillshots, jackpots, the haunted house, and especially Video Mode, which is an easy 9M.

(For anyone who hasn't grabbed the game yet, today is the last day to do so for free. Come on, guys!)

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2011, 10:21:37 PM »
I did see that you got to 41, I played a bit earlier. And it was awful. Couldn't get higher than 16m, and while I'm sure they didn't make the game so that when you need to hit it to a specific spot it actively works against you, but [darn] if it doesn't seem that way. The Doppelganger multiball should be stupid easy to hit, just hit into one of the drops. Heck, I nail those all the time to make the ball lock easier. But when I activated the multiball this time I couldn't get close. Hit the reverse scoop 3 times in a row. Of course. And I'm loathe to overstate the dizzy bonus. But, yeah, not a great couple creds.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2011, 11:15:08 PM »
I challenge you to a score-based 1.0 hardcore mode Minecraft showdown! Once 1.0 comes out, of course.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 11:29:13 PM »
Buy me a copy of Minecraft and you're on.

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 02:25:37 AM »
48.5. And you're absolutely right about abusing the mansion. It took a few attempts, but once you can get right back in immediately it can be pretty nasty.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 02:51:22 AM »
Oof, nice. I'll have to give it another go in the morning before I leave for work. That seemed to work last time!

I looked at the leaderboards for this table earlier, and I want to know who this guy with the patience to get a 110B score on this table was.

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2011, 06:28:02 AM »
The same guy who got 999,999,999 points on Sonic 4.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 01:38:39 AM »
56.9M. 40M of that was on the first ball alone. I'm surprised I didn't earn an extra ball from that madness.

I see you bought the Fantastic Four table, CoconutMikeNIke. How are you liking it?

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 10:19:36 AM »
It's not great.  It's very open, showing off the art of the team in the center of the table, but that really just makes it kinda boring, very open.  Not much in the way of drop targets or neat catches.  Scoring isn't bad, I guess, it's just different.  Unless you play the missions, there isn't much you can do to get points, and all the missions are very similar.  Although, and I wish I could remember how to activate it, the Skrull attack on the Baxter building was pretty fun.  It has sort of a old pachinko kinda game to fight them off. But like the Alligator chase through the sewers in Paranormal, it's one of those things that just happens. Also the skill shot is really just luck, so that's disappointing.

I will say, though, the voice actors are great.  Doom is very cool sounding, and I'm fairly confident Johnny is Captain Smiley. And multiball is easy to get.  Well, it's not hard in Paranormal, but that one has you doing a couple steps to get it, Fantastic Four you just keep hitting the drop targets in front of Thing a bunch, who's just off center of the board, so it's ridiculously simple. Fantastic Four-ball is tougher, but only because I haven't yet figured out the trigger for the ball lock.

So, not a waste of money, but where I was looking for more of what I got to like in Paranormal (Bunch of bonuses and a variety of points), I got a very good looking and sounding table with the same four ramps and bumpers I can't see (They put them in the back behind Thing, under Doom). And it is still fun, so there.

And well done.  I wouldn't have gotten the 48 if I hadn't gotten the extra ball early on, so this should be interesting to see. Also, the planets must have aligned last time, because I actually got the dizzy bonus for like 10m, and I think we know I can't hit that again.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 10:52:15 AM »
I didn't even get an extra ball in my 56.9M game. If I had I would've done even better.

And yeah, the demo of the Fantastic Four table gave me the impression that it was too open. Earth Defense was the same way, or else I probably would've bought that table.

The Street Fighter II table is fun, but is hard to score well on. My best is 14M, and I got that on like my second or third credit.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2011, 06:45:37 PM »
Just over a week remaining, and I haven't seen anyone beat 56.9M yet.

BP's been playing, and while he doesn't have the ability to connect to LIVE to get his score to update on the leaderboards with the rest of us, he tells me he's gotten a respectable 28.5M so far. If he can keep it up, we might have someone else taking second place...

Keep playing, guys! It's been good fun comparing strategies and taking turns stomping each other's scores, and I hope the next challenge will create the same kind of atmosphere.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2011, 09:21:11 PM »
Daaaaaayum!

CoconutMikeNIke, where you at? I can't be the only one beating BP's score.

Print