Print

Author Topic: "Things Babies Born in 2011 Will Never Know"  (Read 12489 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: January 06, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »
Link.

Have at it!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 09:22:56 PM »
I hope for our own sake that we don't give up VHS format.  Or printed text.  These both last much longer than their digital counterparts.  All it takes is a magnet and all your important information/research/whatever?  Gone.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:41:55 PM »
It's preposterous to presume that Facebook will still be relevant in twenty years' time, but the rest seems sadly accurate.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 09:53:17 PM »
The only thing that article convinced me of is that today's kids need to stay off their cell phones.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 12:20:08 AM »
I hope for our own sake that we don't give up VHS format.  Or printed text.  These both last much longer than their digital counterparts.  All it takes is a magnet and all your important information/research/whatever?  Gone.

Wait, what? Putting a magnet near a VHS tape will erase it... Books however, will always be relevant.

On the other hand, being born in 2011 means that you ultimately missed out on the mid 1970's through early 2001, which where the best years for music [Tears for Fears, and grunge], video-games [SNES, Game Boy, Game Boy Colour, NES Gamecube and the C64], television [Seinfeld many cartoons including Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and oh god so many others I can't possibly think of right now], movies [Toy Story, Home Alone, and many more] ever (with a few exceptions, of course). So said they had fade it... Now 2011ers are represented by Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber *cries*. Thanks alot time!
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 01:28:55 AM »
Wait, what? Putting a magnet near a VHS tape will erase it... Books however, will always be relevant.

You hope we don't give up VHS? Uhhh, I got news for you Rip Van Winkle, IT'S ALREADY GONE.

And what's so invincible about books? All is takes is a lit match and all your important information/research/whatever?  Gone.

I didn't know there were so many 80-year old grandpas surfing the Fungi Forums...

Anyway, I don't think watches will be obsolete until biologically-integrated tech becomes mainstream. Any useful smartphone is going to be too large to have out at all times like the article implies. Sometimes you need two hands.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 08:17:52 AM »
You hope we don't give up VHS? Uhhh, I got news for you Rip Van Winkle, IT'S ALREADY GONE.
Last I checked, I could still find over a hundred VHS tapes plus a VCR to watch them on lying around my house.

And what's so invincible about books? All is takes is a lit match and all your important information/research/whatever?  Gone.
For one thing, the contents of books can't be destroyed by a virus or malware.  And all things being equal, they'll last longer than digital files, anyway.

PS: I thought you didn't like my argumentative style?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 08:40:16 AM »
Alright, guys... remember, I've got a degree in this.

But seriously, I'll save my major gripes for later, and just say that, well... won't the increasing prevalence of the internet--and the fact that it's basically a digital repository of all human knowledge--mean that future-kids will at least know what these things are? And yes, I know technological progress advances exponentially, but I'm still well-aware of things that happened/existed back as far as the 60s--you're telling me one decade's going to take all that away?

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 04:36:52 PM »
They'll know, but they won't care:

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »
So said they had fade it... Now 2011ers are represented by Lady Gaga and Justin Beiber *cries*. Thanks alot time!

Because its totally fair to compare 40 years of the world against 1 that just barely started right?

Also, don't diss the Gaga.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 06:39:41 PM »
I want Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber to do a duet. Partially just to see how insane the internet's backdraft of hate can get, partly because it needs to happen for historical purposes, and partly because I think it'd be a genuinely good song as a piano duet. They're both rather talented pianists, as heard in U Smile and the Cherrytree Sessions version of Poker Face.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 07:02:13 PM »
They'll know, but they won't care:
http://4chanarchive.org/images/mu/10888878/1277831721070.jpg

I know this exists just to make me mad. Mission accomplished.

Edit: Also, I think this list has some pretty serious flaws in it. Watches, books, evening news, and Television Commercials to name a few.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 07:03:54 PM by Black Mage »

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »
At least a quarter of my classmates don't wear watches for the very reason mentioned in the article.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 07:51:42 PM »
Video tape: Some studios still use tape for recording, but VHS is two generations old and almost completely gone.  I only have a few VHS in the garage that don't have DVD/Bluray versions.

Travel agents: I've always used the internet for traveling.  Why would I pay a middleman for something I can probably better tailor myself.

The separation of work and home: I don't think work and home will join for everyone, but use of cloud computing will narrow the gap for some professions.  I personally do lesson planning and grade book recording at home on weekends.

Books, magazines, and newspapers: I stopped reading the newspaper when I moved out and went to college since I could readily access news relative to me without them.  I'm still partial to printed books and magazines, but can see their decline.  Digital books are outselling hard copies, but I still love going to sleep reading a paperback. (I don't own an ereader though.)

Movie rental stores: It's been a decade since I rented anything.

Watches: I stopped wearing a watch when I got a cell phone.  Watches and jewelery were always uncomfortable for me anyway.  Of approximately two hundred students that I teach I only know of one that wears a watch.  He does not have a cell phone. 

Paper maps: While unfolding a huge paper map on a table to plan a trip is awesome, digital GPS maps are more practical.  I still print Google map directions sometimes though. 

Wired phones: I have never owned one of these.  For that matter I haven't had a home phone for over a decade.  I did I have Vonage for a while to use dialup for my TiVo though.  Using VOIP via dialup through DSL for TiVo was a strange solution, but it was much cheaper than paying for a home line and allow me to use the superior TiVo box instead of the DirecTV box.

Long distance: See cored phones above.  With cell phones we never pay long distance.  Skype, email, and facebook help. 

Newspaper classifieds: See newspaper comment above.  I listed a vehicle in a paper for awhile, but that didn't work. 

Dial-up Internet: To my surprise I was recently able to get my parents who live far from town on high speed DSL.

Encyclopedias: My parents still have my high school set.  Those and the ones at are new school never get used.  We've actually removed many reference shelves to make room for computer terminals. 

Forgotten friends: With facebook I've got friends that I never really knew in high school. 

Forgotten anything else: I use Google for spell check.  Does that count? 

The evening news: news.google.com and igoogle.com are two of my biggest sources of news.  Also, digg, CNN, and email subscriptions/feeds. 

CDs: I still buy CDs, but rip them to my computers or PS3.

Film cameras: I just bought a digital camera for my mom since I'd made here a PC and got it on DSL.  I don't know why she still keeps those throwaway cameras though. 

Yellow and White Pages: I'm sad to see these go, because they make awesome physics demos. 

I'll fill in the rest of these later.

Catalogs:

Fax machines:

One picture to a frame:

Wires:

Hand-written letters:

Talking to one person at a time:

Retirement plans:

Mail:

Commercials on TV:

Commercial music radio:

Hiding:
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 08:16:12 PM »
Alright, let me take this one at a time. It's not my place to say what will or won't be "known" in the future, so I'll instead focus on whether or not I care if these things get phased out within my lifetime.

Video tape: Heck, no skin off my nose if that goes. I mean, I'd hope they're backing up their data on something physical, though (that goes for anything becoming digital-only in the coming items).

Travel agents: I hate to put some people out of the job, but the (awesome) democratization of information really does make this one pointless... well, on second thought, make that "less necessary". There should be a human element to cut through the crap in some jobs, and this is one.

The separation of work and home: Depends on the job. 9-5 office work? Sure, but I'd question anything else.

Books, magazines, and newspapers: Okay, I'm going to have to back up for this one. First of all, how are we defining "kids" in the future? Let's just assume, for the sake of the argument, that we're talking about ten-year-olds in 2021. Now like I said, technology is expanding exponentially, but do you mean to tell me that, in under a decade, every Barnes & Noble, every Borders, every public library will be shut down? I call BS.

Movie rental stores: For someone like me who lives in the middle of nowhere with no decent internet, I really would prefer that the local Hollywood Video hadn't shut down. Yes, there's a Redbox at the grocery store, but it's not the same. In the future, I'm sure I won't miss them, but there's something to be said for pacing the aisles in search of a movie.

Watches: I don't have one, but that's because I'm usually around a wall clock, or have my iPod. As far as I'm concerned, they can go.

Paper maps: Oh come on, we still need a few of these around.

Wired phones: "Why would you pay $35 every month to have a phone that plugs into a wall?" Because it didn't need to be charged and didn't give you radiation, wiseguy.

Long distance: Oh, that can definitely die.

Newspaper classifieds: Sure, toss that one on the burner, too.

Dial-up Internet: Holy Christ, do I hope so.

Encyclopedias: Yeah, these are pretty silly. I like big books of cool facts, though.

Forgotten friends: Okay, this is going to be abrupt, but... well, I'm worried about how kids in the future are going to cope with loss when they have the technology to talk to anyone they've ever known. Am I being dramatic? Maybe, but for all of human history until relatively recently, losing and making new friends was a part of life. This isn't about technology or convenience, it's about basic human social structure.

Forgotten anything else:
Today the world's collective knowledge is on the computer in your pocket or purse. And since you have it with you at all times, why bother remembering anything?
This guy has to be trolling, because that is practically the opening quote to a half-dozen Orwellian novels. "Why bother remembering anything?" Because you have a brain, dumb***. And just because all of humanity's collective knowledge is available doesn't mean people will go looking for it, especially if they already think it's true or false. You can disprove everything from the "don't swim half an hour after eating" myth to the "dog who ate a cell phone" story in half a minute, but I guarantee you there's still people out there now who believe it.

The evening news: I'll admit it, that is no longer necessary. Then again, so is pretty much any TV news.

CDs: See "video tape". Also, hard drive space better [darn] well increase if we're going to give the finger to music stored on something made out of atoms.

Film cameras: Once again, cellphone and what-have-you better get some better features to topple legit film cameras.

Yellow and White Pages: Oh my God, throw those things away.

Catalogs: Well... I guess these can go. I miss the Nintendo Power ones, though, and the Think Geek catalogs are kind of fun to flip through.

Fax machines: Even when I was a kid, these seemed weird to me. Sure, give 'em the axe.

One picture to a frame: There is nothing wrong with this.

Wires: I want these to go, but I also know that'll cause me to be even more paranoid about the cloud of cancer-causing whatever that's flying around my electronics.

Hand-written letters: Yeah, because putting real meaning behind your thoughts is for squares.

Talking to one person at a time: Also set to die in the next few years: Respect!

Retirement plans: I'm embarassed to say I actually don't know a lot about retirement plans, so the sarcastic write-up for this one flies over my head. I guess we have to save up on our own now...?

Mail: Packages and the occasional magazine aside, I guess I wouldn't mind this one.

Commercials on TV: Yes! But... at what cost?

Commercial music radio: Hey, I've never really liked radio, so whatever. Might be nice for the car, though.

Hiding: This one is just downright sinister to end the article with; it could've just as well read "privacy"... or safety. But like corporations and the government will stand for that!

PS: I was typing this when Luigison put up his analysis, so I'll respond to that later when he's done.

...And I can't believe the chick with the Justin Bieber avatar is the one I agree with most in that comments section.

Print