Print

Author Topic: The Year of Luigi's million sellers  (Read 5371 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: January 30, 2014, 04:01:03 PM »
Luigi's 30th anniversary year has ended, and the sales data is in. Three games released last year featuring Mr. Green 'Stache sold more than one million copies worldwide: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, New Super Luigi U, and Super Mario 3D World. Additionally, Mario Kart Wii, which launched in 2008, sold over a million units in 2013, bringing its lifetime total to over 35 million.

Yesterday, Nintendo released an updated list of some of its million-seller titles for Wii U, 3DS, and Wii. Here are the games featuring Mario, Luigi, or DK that were listed, along with the global units sold in millions through December 2013.

* Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS) - 1.43
* Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS) - 3.79
* Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (3DS) - 2.00
* Mario Kart 7 (3DS) - 9.35
* Mario Kart Wii (Wii) - 35.26
* New Super Luigi U (Wii U) - 1.51
* New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) - 7.63
* New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U) - 3.89
* Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) - 1.94

This year, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's New Island, and Mario Kart 8 are the next games set to be released. Which one do you think will sell over a million first? Let us know what you think in our forums!

Link: Supplementary Information about Earnings Release (.PDF) (NCL)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »
My bet's on Mario Kart. Sells like hotcakes. Or something that sells in large quantities.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »
I think all three have potential to be million plus sellers, hope that YNI isn't hindered by the team developing it.  I personally very much liked the DS version, but know I am in the minority.  I know that DK no longer holds the majorities appeal, but from what I've seen, it's a great game that I hope to play with my family  this holiday season.  Mario Kart always has appeal.  I look forward to it being awesome and selling likewise.  Probably even best overall, but I also look forward to SM3DW... yes, I don't own it... Yet. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print