Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. Launch Date - The Investigation Continues!  (Read 4415 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:53:14 AM »
The mystery of SMB's North American launch continues to puzzle the gaming world.  Luckily, our Super Mario's Release Date Is Missing! article now has company in the form of Frank Cifaldi's excellent article "Sad But True: We Can't Prove When Super Mario Bros. Came Out."  Cifaldi covers much of the same ground as our piece, but brings new interviews and a special system registration card from the 1985 NYC NES launch!  Make sure to take a look at this excellent piece of gaming journalism, and feel free to reread TMK's piece as well.

Link:  GamaSutra.com - "Sad But True: We Can't Prove When Super Mario Bros. Came Out"
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:54:49 AM by Deezer »
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 04:10:11 AM »
So it wasn't a NES launch title? Or what?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 02:46:42 PM »
I read somewhere that Nintdendo first marketed the NES as a toy thus the "Entertainment System" moniker.  They didn't want it labeled as a video game system since the Atari era was over and people where more interested in personal computers and toys than gaming systems.  If it weren't for the NES with R.O.B. and the Zapper getting into stores via a Hasbro commission we might not have Nintendo games today.  Had they launched with SMB I think they would have still made it, but the thinking at the time was that video games were a fad. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 04:29:08 PM »
It's really quite amazing to me that this is an issue of dispute. I mean, I don't know when it came out either, but man!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 07:39:22 PM »
I don't know if arcade SMB came before the NES version, but I do remember that the arcade version is different from the NES version.

Speaking of arcade Mario games: Does anybody remember an arcade version of SMB3? I recall it pretty well..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print