Muslim
1 (1.8%)
Other (Please Explain)
9 (16.4%)
Atheist
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Print

Author Topic: What's Your Religion?  (Read 129473 times)

« Reply #270 on: January 08, 2010, 04:57:32 PM »
To do whatever the heck you want and enjoy yourself as much as possible

God hates enjoyment?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #271 on: January 08, 2010, 05:05:48 PM »
Science had nothing to do with the creation of the earth, no matter how you look at it.  Science is the study of creation, which means it originated after creation.  

Also, maybe I should rephrase.  I wouldn't live the same way  if I didn't believe what I believe.  I'd sleep around, do drugs, and commit horrible crimes that would benefit me, all in the spirit of having fun.  Why should I care about the pitiful consequences this place has to offer?  The worst thing they would be able to do to me is execute me.  So what?  I had a good run, right?  I followed the evolutionary imperative to look out for myself, right?  I was going to go eventually anyway.  At least I had as much fun and served my interests as well as anyone could have hoped for.

Okay, maybe you're a bad person, but most people, if they were not brain-washed by their parents, would not do terrible things, just because they can't find a nice storybook.

So, I'm going to try to convince you that doing bad things ARE BAD.

First, doing drugs is unhealthy, and will shorten your life. They'll also make you feel bad. Commiting crimes is cruel and evil. It's immoral as well.

I suppose my final point, is that...

Well, if you'd turn evil if you weren't religious, I guess being Athiest and still being alive and healthy is proof of being a good person. Or maybe you should just keep reading your book, and not go near banks.

« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2010, 05:09:14 PM »
According to Ecclesiastes, we're supposed to drink and have fun.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #273 on: January 08, 2010, 05:11:20 PM »
First, doing drugs is unhealthy, and will shorten your life. They'll also make you feel bad. Commiting crimes is cruel and evil. It's immoral as well.

As far as drugs go, what does it matter if your life is shortened a few years?  They let you enjoy yourself here and now, which is all that matters.  

And...

Commiting crimes is cruel and evil. It's immoral as well.

Who says?  Who are you to tell me what's moral and what's not?  If there's no God, the only real morality is arbitrary.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #274 on: January 08, 2010, 05:29:31 PM »
"Our morality has a Darwinian explanation: altruistic genes, selected through the process of evolution, give people natural empathy."~Richard Dawkins

Just one of several possible explanations for morality without God.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2010, 05:36:39 PM »
That's ridiculous.  Morality defies evolutionary processes.  It wouldn't be selected by them.

And even then, that only explains people's feelings.  It doesn't prove the existence of an absolute morality.

« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2010, 05:38:48 PM »
It doesn't prove the existence of an absolute morality.

"Absolute" morality? What the hell is that?

« Reply #277 on: January 08, 2010, 05:40:26 PM »
Morality defies evolutionary processes.

Who says?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #278 on: January 08, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »
Turtlekid, you are fully aware that you are the only person suggesting that people think the way you say they do? Everyone else is pretty clearly telling you that your assumptions about "human nature" or whatever are incorrect. Even the people who don't share your religious viewpoint.
Humanity is not by default some kind of hedonistic culture. People who are stupid are stupid on an individual basis.
Also, what is with the equation of self-destruction with pleasure? For one thing, not every experience or mental condition has the same effect on each human. Also, I'd say the belief in an afterlife is precipitated greatly by the fear of death, so what causes your assumption that people don't care whether they die? Is your underlying desire for momentary "pleasure" so strong that you believe everyone shares it, or what?

What's really great is how this is the second or third time Turtlekid has tried to force his same wrong-thinking ideas on people exactly the same way in this thread already.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:06:11 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #279 on: January 08, 2010, 06:13:05 PM »
I don't recall saying that anyone else thinks that way.  I never said that anyone shares that line of thought.  All I said was that it would be more consistent to think that way.

« Reply #280 on: January 08, 2010, 07:08:19 PM »
"What you wish your neighbors to be to you, such be also to them."
– Sextus the Pythagorean, 406 B.C.

This is what it's all about. The reason to be a good person and respect others is because it makes life nice for everybody. You respect others, they respect you, and you have a good society.

It's not: turn into an evil dick because no god can stop you. But if that's your worldview I'm glad you're brainwashed, Turtlekid1.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #281 on: January 08, 2010, 07:28:52 PM »
The chances of LD converting to any religion are slim to nonexistent.
http://greenopolis.com/goblog/joe-laur/one-million-buddhist-beers-wall-one-million-buddhist-beers

To do whatever the heck you want and enjoy yourself as much as possible is the only logical choice if there's no God.  Why would anyone bother restraining himself if there's no reason to do so?
This is a commonly held assertion, but it is still wrong.  Ever notice that the most moving professions in church are from people who previously had the least moral standards.  Religions often attract the lowest common denominator giving believers the impression that a large percentage of the population would do whatever the hell they wanted if it weren't for God.  This is an unfounded product of a narrow world view.  A large percentage of people are naturally good.  So much so that it's been called the 80/20 rule.  Meaning that 80 percent of the population will cause little to no problems, but the remaining 20 percent will take up the majority of resources and time.  Also look at the contrary view to your assertion and consider all of the people who do morally bad things in the name of God.  I'm not saying these people are representative of the whole, but that they should be considered before stated, "the only logical choice" type statements.  Also, don't assume that believe in a your God is the only reason to be moral. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #282 on: January 08, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »
My religious views are pretty similar to Luigison's actually.

« Reply #283 on: January 08, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »
don't assume that believe in a your God

Wut?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

foxmccloudfan

• Guess who's banned!!!
« Reply #284 on: January 08, 2010, 07:54:01 PM »
is anyone else jewish here?
Guess who's back!!!

Print