Print

Author Topic: Sharron Angle  (Read 15180 times)

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2010, 09:29:13 PM »
This is not meant with any disrespect whatsoever, but nobody who visits an Internet Forum (especially this one) regularly is really a part of the social norm, and using yourself as an example to prove any sort of point just doesn't ever work.

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 09:35:26 PM »
CE: I think Glorb means "virgin" as in "being twenty years old and still believing that girls have kooties". Just sayin'.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2010, 10:06:56 PM »
Re: "privatized" food, the government can tell you whatever they want is safe but that doesn't mean it is. A lot of food is of totally unknown origin but they say it's just fine anyway. Even places like Whole Foods get some of their products from anonymous Chinese distribution that can't be tracked at all and no one knows where it came from.
Basically the point is that the world is a lot weirder than people like to believe. New evidence that the USA doesn't want you to hear is that wifi and cell phones in intense concentrations are apparently harmful because we started using exactly the EM frequencies that human bodies respond to. People can believe what they want on both sides of the spectrum. I think Glorb is wrong and I want to homeschool my kids because I believe I am a knowledgeable and rational enough person to do it and pretty much everyone I know (as well as other smart people) testifies that public school is exactly the wrong thing. Do I believe everyone is sane enough to school their own kids? As I said before, no. There are some people who have been so miseducated already that they should not have license to teach their children. Where to draw the line is the tricky part.

Also, the stereotype of homeschooled kids not having any social skills is pure lies.

Fluoride in water supplies has been correlated with Alzheimer's if I remember right.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:09:19 PM by Chupperson Weird »
That was a joke.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »
This thread
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 06:19:26 PM »
  • How does one "morph into" being a virgin?
By being homeschooled.
every

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 08:11:58 PM »
"Please explain the anatomical process of re-virginization", is what we're asking.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 08:53:50 PM »
Well, there are re-virginization surgeries if you're female, and some acupuncturist claims male virgins have dots on the back of their ears, so I guess you could use a marker or something. But yeah.

Anyway my point is just that if you're saying people need to have sex before they're 18 in order to be normal and well-adjusted (it's hard to tell if you actually are saying that, since you've kinda been talking in trollspeak lately), you need to grow up.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 11:49:54 PM »
I like how it's cool beans that I called all homeschoolers twisted freaks but once I drop the V word everyone's all WHOA WAIT WHAT
every

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2010, 10:29:39 PM »
Yeah I don't understand it either. You people need to stop taking everything so seriously.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2010, 11:40:47 PM »
Okay, right off the bat: I haven't read the article yet. However, as for what you learn in public school? Reading, writing, 'rithmatic? You all know as well as I that you can learn that from your parents and/or the internet--no surprises there, and score one for the homeschoolers. However, what you're not going to learn is the things that go down in public school that technically aren't part of the curriculum, things that teach you how the real world actually works. While I'm likely to forget all the historical dates and quadratic formulas I memorized in high school, the politics and bureaucracy of the principal-teacher-ASB-student hierarchy, the social structures that are either bonded by clubs and classes or divided by cliques, and the hard truth about what often happens when geeks pursue goths (what, just me? Nevermind) are arguably just as relevant.

As for corporatizing education, do I need to name-drop Feed again? Who's up for SchoolTM? And I remember how uncomfortable I felt when I figured out The College Board was a company...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 11:45:05 PM »
Dude, um, no. High school is not how the "real world" works at all. You just think that because the people you hang around from school act that way(?)
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2010, 08:59:06 AM »
Look, we can argue about this all day and all night, but here is the simple truth: If you go to public school, it will condition you to be a human being in ways that homeschool never will. You will meet people and make friends. Not just parent-approved friends, but actual friends. You build relationships, you socialize. You get awkward, you get in fights, you get into situations that you hate but will help you learn from your mistakes. You get none of that when the people you see most often is your immediate family.

I'm not saying that you will literally end up fundamentalist Christian (your family could be any religion or lack thereof), or a permanent virgin (though that one is extremely likely). I'm saying that you will, in the long run, end up lacking important social skills that you won't ever get to regain.

Why is anyone even taking pro-homeschool stances here, anyway? Aside from the nebulously defined "You will learn more" argument (especially since your parents could just decide to...I dunno, not teach you)?
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2010, 10:57:06 AM »
I still don't like how we're just assuming that Christianity and virginity are automatically bad things.

Anyway, I was never arguing that homeschool is always the best option. I think it's sometimes the best alternative to public school if you want your kid to not suck ass at math and grammar and stuff (private school is usually a better option, though). I think the government should step in a bit more to make sure parents aren't beating their kids. And I'm saying it doesn't have to mean you'll be completely socially stunted. Of the top of my head, I can think of two or three friends I had in college who were homeschooled (there were probably more that I'm not remembering now), including my girlfriend, and while I suppose none of them really qualify as "normal", all of them have social skills and a big circle of friends (And two of them I just met this year as freshmen, so it's not that they just became socialized after years of college). And if I may slip into my crazy idealist mode for a second, the last thing the world needs right now is more normal people.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2010, 10:59:18 AM »
I still don't like how we're just assuming that Christianity and virginity are automatically bad things.

Fundamentalism is bad though. You can be a Christian without being a fundamentalist.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2010, 12:05:10 PM »
I'm afraid, CrossEyed, that those are not good arguments. If you don't want your kid to "suck ass" at math and grammar, chances are cooping him up in your house isn't going to help him that much. And while you may know two or three people who are merely charmingly bizarre as a result of homeschool, by and large, 100%-homeschooled emerge socially crippled and enquipped to deal with other people in the long run. And I don't mean in a wacky, TV-weird way, I mean they are just weirdos, as a result of being conditioned to assume everyone else is going to see them the same way as their own family does. There's nothing cute or funny or unique about that, and the world definitely doesn't need anyone else like that.
every

Print