Print

Author Topic: The Pointless Topic!  (Read 2489318 times)

« Reply #11130 on: September 30, 2010, 09:23:40 PM »
Playing with a mouse and keyboard was one of the worst control schemes I've ever dealt with
D:

good gameplay (Kingdom Hearts
questionable gameplay (Portal
D:

"Literally insane"?  Have I ever told you about that pet peeve I have about people misusing the word "literally"?
I do not misuse the word. You have stated repeatedly that, if you did not believe in God, you would willingly murder us without compunction or remorse. That makes you a sociopath, and literally insane.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11131 on: September 30, 2010, 09:25:21 PM »
I found Portal to be lacking.  Not because it's too short, as it's often accused of being; rather, because quite frankly, the gameplay was lackluster and repetitive.
Here's an exercise for you guys: see how many popular games you can put in place of Portal in that first sentence there.

Playing with a mouse and keyboard was one of the worst control schemes I've ever dealt with
How can you say this when you've played console FPS?

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #11132 on: September 30, 2010, 09:31:05 PM »
(assuming they'll even run on your computer).

I don't think it's Steam's fault you have such an old clanker of a computer.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #11133 on: September 30, 2010, 10:04:00 PM »
Turtlekid, while I respect the fact that you are standing up for your original statements and not caving to the people who are (correctly) informing you of how completely mistaken you are, your last post worked only to dig yourself deeper and deeper into the Retard Hole. I would give examples but really, it was your entire post.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11134 on: September 30, 2010, 11:19:06 PM »
I enjoyed Portal so much I bought four copies.  Two for me (Steam and PS3) and two for gifts (PC and PS3).  Granted that the PC/Steam version is probably superior, I enjoy playing games like Portal on my big screen TV late at night in the dark. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11135 on: October 01, 2010, 07:00:23 AM »
I suppose it serves as a testament to how overrated Portal is that half the board is jumping down my throat when I say it's not the best game I've ever played.

D:
D:
Excellent rebuttal.  You're obviously thinking this through.

I do not misuse the word. You have stated repeatedly that, if you did not believe in God, you would willingly murder us without compunction or remorse. That makes you a sociopath, and literally insane.
No, I've stated that I would have no logical reason not to.  But really, are you sure you want to get this thread, of all things, moved to NatDT?

How can you say this when you've played console FPS?
I don't know what you're talking about.  Metroid Prime's GCN version had decent controls, and Trilogy version had great controls.

Turtlekid, while I respect the fact that you are standing up for your original statements and not caving to the people who are (correctly) informing you of how completely mistaken you are, your last post worked only to dig yourself deeper and deeper into the Retard Hole. I would give examples but really, it was your entire post.
I have yet to see anyone tell me exactly how I'm mistaken... just some "D:"s and posts telling me I'm a sociopath or retarded.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11136 on: October 01, 2010, 07:28:49 AM »
Turtlekid, you call Portal, a wonderful puzzle game revolving around a simple and legitimately-interesting play mechanic, "lackluster" and "repetitive," but then go on to praise the gameplay of, of all things, Kingdom Hearts, a lackluster and repetitive JRPG that drags on long after it's worn out its welcome.

Then, for my statement about console FPS, you point out the least-fitting example possible. Metroid Prime really isn't a standard FPS, and comparing it (especially the Wii version) to more traditional examples of the genre might as well be comparing apples and oranges.

You say Portal is a bad game, but then your reasons for it being bad - the keyboard-and-mouse control scheme (which, you'll note, is a standard of first-person gaming and much of PC gaming in general), the repetitive gameplay (again, the game involves a single play mechanic), it not running well on your computer (note that Portal has the lowest requirements of any Source game, and aside from Left 4 Dead, those have very low requirements to start) - apply better to most other PC games than to Portal.

And on top of all this, you're complaining so strongly about a wonderful game you got for free. Your complaints are akin to someone complaining that their free filet mignon was cooked wrong.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11137 on: October 01, 2010, 07:46:32 AM »
Turtlekid, you call Portal, a wonderful puzzle game revolving around a simple and legitimately-interesting play mechanic, "lackluster" and "repetitive," but then go on to praise the gameplay of, of all things, Kingdom Hearts, a lackluster and repetitive JRPG that drags on long after it's worn out its welcome.
You seem to be talking about the series itself, whereas I refer to the gameplay within the series.  You of all people should know that they never use the same battle system twice.

Then, for my statement about console FPS, you point out the least-fitting example possible. Metroid Prime really isn't a standard FPS, and comparing it (especially the Wii version) to more traditional examples of the genre might as well be comparing apples and oranges.
What other console FPS have I played?  Surely you can't be referring to Oblivion?

You say Portal is a bad game, but then your reasons for it being bad - the keyboard-and-mouse control scheme (which, you'll note, is a standard of first-person gaming and much of PC gaming in general), the repetitive gameplay (again, the game involves a single play mechanic), it not running well on your computer (note that Portal has the lowest requirements of any Source game, and aside from Left 4 Dead, those have very low requirements to start) - apply better to most other PC games than to Portal.
All right, but I'm really not a huge PC gamer.  If consoles have spoiled me with good controls and no frame lag, then so be it.

And on top of all this, you're complaining so strongly about a wonderful game you got for free. Your complaints are akin to someone complaining that their free filet mignon was cooked wrong.
If it were cooked wrong, I would probably say that even though it was a nice gesture on the chef's part to give me free filet mignon, I wouldn't pay for it under ordinary circumstances.  With Portal, I'm saying that the game is not worth twenty dollars.  Not that I shouldn't have paid for it - because I didn't - but rather that I wouldn't pay for it if I had to buy it at full price.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11138 on: October 01, 2010, 07:52:06 AM »
I beat Portal over the course of about a week or so, but never felt like playing KH past the beginning of Wonderland, if that says anything.

However: At least as of now, my only personal computer (and, I'll add, the most technologically recent) is a touch-pad laptop. Is it even worth trying to play a series PC (FPS) game with the standard setup?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11139 on: October 01, 2010, 08:24:05 AM »
You seem to be talking about the series itself, whereas I refer to the gameplay within the series.  You of all people should know that they never use the same battle system twice.
I'm referring to the gameplay as well. Even with things like Chain of Memories using a card-based combat system, all of the Kingdom Hearts games' actual gameplay structure is that of a basic generic action RPG. You run around, smack stuff with your sword, and fling spells. It's a basic action RPG structure that had been used before Kingdom Hearts and has continued to be used after.

What other console FPS have I played?  Surely you can't be referring to Oblivion?
No, but Oblivion uses the traditional WASD-mouse control scheme on PC, so it's a good comparison.

If consoles have spoiled me with good controls
I like how you say this even though all the current consoles have a different basic controller and most developers can't decide on a standardized control scheme even for games on a single console, while on PC you can play most first-person shooters and be able to jump in with WASD to move and mouse to aim and shoot.

and no frame lag
Again, problem with your computer, not the games.

Is it even worth trying to play a series PC (FPS) game with the standard setup?
Yeah, but first go spend ten dollars on a Logitech USB optical mouse. You'll be happy you did, for standard PC usage as well as gaming.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #11140 on: October 01, 2010, 12:04:49 PM »
It's amazingly fitting that all of this is taking place in this topic.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #11141 on: October 01, 2010, 02:35:43 PM »

You know who likes pointless entertainment like that? MY MOM!

...Regular Show, anyone? No?
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #11142 on: October 01, 2010, 04:09:09 PM »
This Jesus person is so fascinating! I can just imagine meeting him.
This bridge - extends from Nebraska to CANADA!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11143 on: October 01, 2010, 04:14:20 PM »
Yeah, but first go spend ten dollars on a Logitech USB optical mouse. You'll be happy you did, for standard PC usage as well as gaming.
I thought as much. What do those usually run?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11144 on: October 01, 2010, 06:04:29 PM »

Print