Print

Author Topic: 3DS: Now 50% less portable!  (Read 6873 times)

« on: June 22, 2012, 07:25:08 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 08:01:26 PM »
Why does everyone act like it's the worst thing ever for Nintendo to not put a second Circle Pad on this thing? Most games don't even support the Circle Pad Pro now, a lot of games currently out or coming out in the next year don't even have any need for a second Circle Pad (do you really think you'll need to rotate the camera in New Super Mario Bros. 2?), and the last thing Nintendo wants to do is fragment their userbase like they did with MotionPlus (which also isn't used by a lot of games, but is required by the ones that do use it, unlike 3DS games that support the CPP).

That said, the XL looks nice enough. I like how the top screen is only slightly smaller than the Vita's display. Too bad about Europe and Japan having to purchase AC adapters separately, though.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 08:31:47 PM »
Hold-outs for battery life might be interested in this.

I'm not about to upgrade, myself, but it seems like a great way to increase sales of the 3DS franchise at this point, with all the big titles coming out this year.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 08:51:16 PM »
I'll wait for the 3DSiXL.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 08:57:56 PM »
Putting a second circle pad on the 3DSXL is a dumber idea than putting a GBA slot on the DSiXL.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 09:38:43 PM »
Putting a second circle pad on the 3DSXL is a dumber idea than putting a GBA slot on the DSiXL.
Why? A GBA slot would give it an improvement over the normal DSi.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »
If they added a second circle pad to the 3DSXL, either it would never be used and it would be worthless and dumb, or it would be used, and then you'd have to buy both the original and the XL to get the full 3DS experience (dual-analog + actual portability). If they were going to add a second circle pad to a revision, it would have to be one the same size as the 3DS (or, like the SP, a drastically different, mostly for the better, design), and it would have to be out now, not a year or two from now, and also games would have to use it (the SP didn't have this problem -- the feature it added was a dramatically better screen, and every game already used the screen; there's not anywhere near that room for improvement on any one thing on the 3DS except the battery life), so they're just going to wait for the next generation.

Adding a GBA slot to the DSiXL wouldn't have been quite as dumb, but it would be the same thing basically -- either no new games would ever use it and it would be pretty much worthless as the relevance of GBA cartridges continued to dwindle, or it would be used by new games coming out with Guitar Hero DS-style Slot 2 accessories, in which case it would segment the market so that you'd have to buy the XL to play the new games, but you'd still need the Lite or the DSi if you wanted portability without carrying a purse (or a bigger purse than you maybe otherwise would have gone with).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 11:19:25 PM »
You say that as though I don't still play GBA games from time to time.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 11:48:33 PM »
A DSi and a Game Boy Micro would take up less pocketspace than an XL, though.

More people should have Game Boy Micros. They're friggin awesome.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 06:44:41 AM »
Based on the history of home consoles and handhelds borrowing from each other I'd say that a second analog on a handheld is inevitable.  I also project that a latter console will have 3D. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »
I thought that the Xbox and PS3 already do that if you have a 3D TV.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
More people should have Game Boy Micros. They're friggin awesome.
Or Nintendo could just put GBA games on the eShop since we've known they can for a while now.  I am the cheapest cheapo gamer I know and I would still pay for, say, Zero Mission.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 11:39:31 AM »
I'd love to see a 3DS version of SMB DX.  Maybe'll they launch it, Link's Awakening DX, and Tetris or R-Type DX with the next 3DS, include a second analog, and call it the 3DX.  Heh. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 12:28:30 PM »
Are the North America colors seriously red, white, and blue? Ha.

Also, why do different regions get a different choice of colors?

Print