Print

Author Topic: Side Scrolling Classics  (Read 3995 times)

« on: June 07, 2000, 06:44:07 PM »
Doesb't anyone here prefer the classic side-scrolling format for Mario games over the 3D/1st person view? I personally think Nintendo was better back when their games were side-scrolling. Please post your replys here.

-YOSHI :P
Woohoo.

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2000, 07:08:52 PM »
Actully i like both. But your right the classic games were always the best

Want mario secrets

E - mail me for secrets from any game
Want mario secrets

E - mail me for secrets from any game

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2000, 07:16:10 PM »
I agree. The side-scrollers WERE better. Although, I like 3-D with 2-D effects. I kind of liked SMW2 for that reason. I think they should make another one like that.

Beware. Hes coming soon, and it wont be pretty for sinners.
If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not for you.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2000, 07:22:28 PM »
I concour.

Edited by - Yoshi2 on 6/7/00 7:27:39 PM
Woohoo.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2000, 07:49:08 PM »
I like both the side-scrolling (original SMB) and 3-D (mario 64) but the two combined realy suck (paper mario).

I see all, hear all, and know all. (At least about SMB DX.)
I see all, hear all, and know all. (At least about SMB DX.)(and SM64 )

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2000, 07:52:16 PM »
I must concour for the last time.

Edited by - Yoshi2 on 6/7/00 7:31:21 PM
Woohoo.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2000, 03:49:18 PM »
The 2-D "side-scrollers" were the best, but that's not just because they were side-scrollers.  If the creativity exercised in the creation of those games was around for the 3-D games, they could in theory be even better.  The problem is bad workers, and you're blaming the tools.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2000, 06:50:26 PM »
Bad workers?!?  Umm... whatever.  (In light of the recent election, I think we've all had enough of crusty, opinionated bigots by now ; )

The topic in question is 3D platform games. Here we go...

Mario 64 was Nintendo's first shot at making a game in a completely new environment, with completely new tools, for a completely new system, et cetera et cetera.

This experience can be easily likened to the development of the original Mario Bros.  You remember, the one where an endless stream of koopas waddled out of pipes and there was only one screen of action?  Same thing.  At the time, the home console was a fairly new industry.  Those guys were pioneers in their field.

Admittedly, the guys at Nintendo had more experience under the belt in production of Mario 64 than they did for the original.  However, the inexperience in an essentially new medium and the addition of another dimension (those things are pretty hard to come by, BTW) make development for the 64 extremely difficult for new designers.

In short, to compare the classic side-scrollers with the more recent 3D platformers is like comparing Pine-sol and Dran-o, or something...
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2000, 09:52:53 PM »
I don't think its really fair to compare the 2d Mario adventures to his 3d escapades. . . Why?  He's only had one adventure in 3d.  Lets face it, Nintendo hasn't sent Mario on a heck of a lot of adventures in recent years, so they haven't really had much time to perfect their 3d "Marioing."

But maybe there's a good reason for this. . . i.e. the glut of uninspired 3d "collect-all-the-thingies-in-a-level-to-open-up-a-new-level-so-you-can-collect-more-thingies" games that have been churned out of development houses. . .

Here's hopin' Paper Mario is **** good! :) (and having read some of the scores Japanese game mags have given it, it looks like it just might be pretty good :)
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2000, 06:07:18 AM »
How can you say the two put together suck when you haven't even played Paper Mario? From what I've seen, the main reason for using the unique graphical style is for more detail on the backgrounds, and for more sprites to be on screen at any one time. Not only that, but it also opens up the chance for many comical ideas.

Don't jump to conclusions. From what I've seen of it, it looks like it's going to be a totally awesome game with an amazing unique graphical style.

Also, it's an RPG, not a platformer, so you shouldn't be judging it at all, really.

Personally, I think the classic side-scrollers are entertaining, and the 3D games are also entertaining. It's the developers behind a game that make it good, not the graphical angle and style. Frankly, as long as Shigeru Miyamoto is driving then I'm happy... *nudges Yoshi's Story into the bin*
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2000, 10:49:14 AM »
I think that 3D games need to evolve beyond the collect the thingies mindset. Although lots of them are being churned out, I belive that they are still in a very early stage. Think of a 3D Mario game that was more like Mario3 than 64...
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2000, 05:08:37 PM »
Maybe there should be a "2.5-D", as I've heard them called, game with graphics similar to those of Kirby 64, and on some, not all, stages you'd be doing stuff in 3D, SM64 style, maybe when fighting bosses or something.

Xx Kirby Superstar xX
Xx Kirby Superstar xX

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2000, 10:16:29 AM »
I don't think there should be a mix of 2-D and 3-D.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

Print