Print

Author Topic: Best selling game of all time  (Read 12323 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« on: January 09, 2009, 01:01:30 PM »
Wii Sports passed SMB in sales.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2724

I argue that just because it's the best selling doesn't make it the best game.  Wii Sports got boring after half an hour.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 02:23:23 PM »
If you play it only by yourself.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 02:40:32 PM »
VGChartz gets blasted on NeoGAF all the time for the way they estimate sales figures. I always cringe when I see news sites sourcing them...

Anyway, there's no question that these games are two of the most important releases in video game history. I wonder if Nintendo will announce the new sales leader in a PR some time.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 04:40:27 PM »
Would've posted this a few days back, but I knew people'd go ape on me if I did. That being said, Kojinka took the words right out of my mouth, but I'd also to add that calling it the best-selling game ever when it comes primarily with the Wii is like saying reflex tests are the most-requested medical procedure during a routine checkup--it's not like you have a whole lot of say in the matter.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2009, 04:56:55 PM »
You're forgetting that Super Mario Bros. was bundled with the NES.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 05:27:10 PM »
Also, I believe Wii Sports is sold separately in Japan.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 05:49:57 PM »
This is kinda hard to believe. But than again, no, it's not. I play Wii Sports with my family and we enjoy it a lot. Even my mom, who has never played a game in her entire life, gave it a try and loved it. When you have 5 great sports games on one disc and it's aimed at people of all ages and it's bundled with something that's new and different like the Nintendo Wii, then there's not doubt that it will be the best-selling game ever.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 06:58:01 PM »
You're forgetting that Super Mario Bros. was bundled with the NES.
No, I'm not. That game was also sold separately.

Well, in the end, I guess it's like Barry Bonds's home runs; if it makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to acknowledge it.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 07:20:13 PM »
No, I'm not. That game was also sold separately.
Wii Sports is sold separately in Japan.
Both Super Mario Bros and Wii Sports would still have sold tens of millions of copies if they weren't bundled.
if it makes you uncomfortable, you don't have to acknowledge it.
You will soon. Wii Sports is the Super Mario Bros of our generation. It's perfectly legitimate to live in the past if you like it better, but before long it will be impossible for anyone to ignore it. Games are changing whether we like it or not.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 07:24:29 PM »
Exactly. In Japan. (Is Wii Sports sold separately in the States?)

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 11:15:59 PM »
This didn't say the best selling game of all time IN AMERICA. Just of all time.
No! I don't want that!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 11:28:38 PM »
"Games are changing"? Hardly. Have you looked at any games outside of first-party Nintendo and third-party Wii shovelware?
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 11:39:18 PM »
This didn't say the best selling game of all time IN AMERICA. Just of all time.
Yeah, I know, but I figured some might assume that wasn't the case.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2009, 12:22:11 AM »
"Games are changing"? Hardly. Have you looked at any games outside of first-party Nintendo and third-party Wii shovelware?
Changing, not changed. I'm primarily making a prediction about the future. In ten years or so, it'll be pretty clear whether I'm right or not.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2009, 12:51:40 AM »
Let's hope you aren't, then.
That was a joke.

Print