Poll

Boy or girl?

Boy
30 (47.6%)
Girl
33 (52.4%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Print

Author Topic: Is Birdo a boy or girl?  (Read 59006 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2011, 11:29:02 AM »
(like me)

I love how nonchalantly you mentioned this.

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »
I voted boy because it's funnier (and stated outright in the original Super Mario Bros. 2 instruction manual), but I know that "officially" in the U.S., Birdo is a lady.  It makes his/her shouts of "mount!" in Double Dash!! all the funnier and weirder.
Haters gonna hate

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2011, 04:46:19 PM »
As of Mario Strikers Charged, Birdo is a guy again. I could've sworn I made posts relating to this back when this thread was still fresh.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2011, 08:53:13 PM »
Well, in Japan she's m-to-f trans (most likely pre-op) , but it's up to American localizers whether they go by sex or by gender.

How exactly does the Strikers reference go, though? Isn't Birdo in there as a species rather than a character?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
Back when Strikers Charged was first released, Birdo's description on the official website referred to him as a "he".

In-game Birdo is not referred to by anything. Every game since then has skirted around the issue by not describing Birdo in any gender-specific format.

A

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2012, 10:03:49 PM »
MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY FOR THIS POST

Quote from: SMBUSA manual
He thinks he is a girl and he spits eggs from his mouth. He'd rather be called "birdetta."
This explanation is not satisfactory. If there's a big hole that eggs are coming out of, xe doesn't just "think" xe's a girl.

I mean, unless they're implying that it's really just a mouth and xe swallows a whole [dukar]bunch of eggs every time whenever xe's going to show up on camera so xe can spit them out.

But the more likely explanation is that the Birdo's we've seen are all physically female and it's always "that" "time" of the "month" (that's why they're fighting you) and the biologist writing the SMUSA manual had never seen Birdos before (and called them Ostros) and was just confused and didn't know what the hell was going on (again, they called them Ostros, which doesn't even make sense, how do they look like ostriches?).

It is some weird anatomy going on there, but I mean we've got jellyfish, so it's not that big a leap.
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #81 on: March 22, 2012, 11:02:53 PM »
xe
Maybe I'm not up to date on my gender-neutral pronouns, but this one's new to me.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2012, 11:28:52 AM »

wait, so the thing that we now call Birdo is actualy ostro?
This was actually a mistake.

« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2012, 10:38:41 PM »
So first base with a Birdo is also third base?

This changes everything.

« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »
I say Birdo is a boy.

« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2012, 04:11:58 PM »
Captain Rainbow sorta nullifies this in a rather risqué way. (lss: she's a girl)
Relics.

« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2012, 03:17:31 PM »
Hermaphrodite.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2012, 06:42:23 PM »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »
And I thought it would be "Lola" by the Kinks.
I'm a horrible person.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2013, 01:30:48 PM »
Here's something interesting I noticed in BS Super Mario USA Power Challenge: The three Birdo voice actors were transsexual cast members from Shiroi Heya, a night club in Japan. I just added more on this to the Birdo article.

Print