Print

Author Topic: Dragon Quest General  (Read 35287 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 11:08:55 PM »
Part of that was me going around exploring everything I could, doing some of the more intricate sidequests that are really supposed to be postgame stuff, doing a few of the treasure map dungeons, and playing around with the different classes as I unlocked them. It's not at all indicative of a regular clear time, which is probably forty to fifty hours - and I've seen a twenty-eight-hour clear time before, though that may very well have involved the multiplayer modes.

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 11:16:56 PM »
Yeah, those 27 hours in RDR were for 100% completion. Story clear time was probably closer to 20 hours.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 11:42:47 PM »
I spent 80 hours on FFXII. But these days I feel bad spending time on games at all.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 11:43:23 PM »
Between the genre differences and Dragon Quest IX most likely exceeding Red Dead Redemption in sheer amount of stuff to do, comparing their length doesn't really work.

And I'd guess I'm also more willing to sit down and play a single game for extended lengths of time than bobman and Lizard Dude are. Not quite to the extent of some of those Monster Hunter fans, but still.

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 12:09:17 AM »
That's not the point. The point is, that is a lot of real time hours to invest in a game.

I'm not saying I don't have the dedication to play a single game for 80 hours, I just straight up don't have time. Plus my personal gaming interests don't tend to involve super long games. Coincidence is the wrong word but something like that.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 12:11:48 AM by bobman37 »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 01:00:56 AM »
Disregarding the fact that I have far more real-life time than I should, being a DS game, Dragon Quest IX is portable, so you can put in fifteen minutes here and half an hour there a lot more easily than with a console game. And that adds up.

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2010, 10:08:35 PM »
Warp, do you remember who gives you the quest that involves killing Nemean? I can remember turning it down because I hadn't encountered said enemy at that point. Now that I can tackle Neamean with relative ease, I must re-find the appropriate NPC to initiate the quest...
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2010, 11:02:24 PM »
Joy. She's in the academy; talk to Paulo and she'll appear.

In other news, at least one of the downloadable quests requires you to defeat at least one darkonium slime. I'm scared. I'm also scared of the quest I'm currently doing, which requires that I defeat the boss of a dungeon with "silver" in its name - I have one that fits the criterion, but it's level 58. I made it to the boss floor, then swiftly cast Evac due to there being no chance of survival with my party's HP and MP where they were (thanks to God[darn]ed slugly betsies and metal king slimes).

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 03:51:08 PM »
Joy. She's in the academy; talk to Paulo and she'll appear.

Thanks.

I haven't come across any grottoes tougher than a pair of level 49 ones. I've mainly been grinding on that lovely little plateau just east of Angel Falls.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »
There's another downloadable quest that involves beating down metal slimes on that plateau.

I ended up going into that level 58 dungeon again, sneaking my way through most of it, smashing Elusid at the bottom, and taking down three metal king slimes along the way (the last floor before the boss was all metal kings); the reward for the quest was rather pitiful (just a party trick), but it was well worth it for the experience and the shoes the boss dropped.

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2010, 06:53:20 PM »
(the last floor before the boss was all metal kings)

Edit: LOOOOORL, I dealt 1396 damage on Shogum by using my Gladiator's Coup de Grace in conjuction with Oomph.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 07:54:46 PM by Weegee »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2010, 11:00:56 PM »
I haven't gotten around to training any of my characters extensively as Gladiators (Paladins already do a far better job of filling the tank role) or Armamentalists (though I expect that'll change very quickly once I get to a point where I need a proper support character; for now, Paladins have both Kabuff and Magic Barrier for defensive buffs).

Also, regarding metal slime hunting: the (über) falcon blade in conjunction with Metal Slash is wonderful, since more often than not the skill will do four damage thanks to the double hits from the sword, and more hits also means more chances at one of them being a crit (I'd say Falcon Slash instead for the potential four hits, but it's not as good against metal slimes as the move designed for fighting them).

Have you unlocked the Luminary vocation yet? I have yet to find the person who gives the quest for it, and it's the only one I haven't unlocked.

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 11:15:40 PM »
The person who assigns the Luminary quest appears in Gleeba's dance hall after beating the game. Note that the quest involves killing a Moai Minstrel, which can only be found in high-level grottoes. I haven't encountered any yet, so no Luminary for me.

Using Multithrust with a Demon Spear is also effective against metals. I once insta-killed two Liquid Metal Slimes in one attack with it.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 11:57:49 PM »
Oh yeah, instant-kill weapons are nice. I got a couple of metal medleys that way earlier in the game when using an assassin's dagger.

Moai minstrels are tough, and I'm sure that quest involves killing one a specific way, so I'll pass on that for now.

EDIT: I have stared death in the face. It laughed.

Darkonium slimes are nothing. Pandora's box, though, will murder you and anyone you've ever held dear without a second thought.

My only consolation is that I managed to steal a gold bar from it before it made me lose fifteen thousand gold pieces and my progress in that grotto.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 03:32:38 AM by WarpRattler »

« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »
The Luminary quest requires you to kill a Moai Minstrel with Hot Lick. Have fun. :3

Do these Pandora's Boxes masquerade as treasure chests and spam Kathwack like they did in DQV, or have their tactics changed?

Print