Print

Author Topic: "Only-once" Game Locations  (Read 7481 times)

« on: November 18, 2007, 06:03:26 AM »
Has anyone here ever played games (most of you probably have) where there is an area you only can go to once, usually at the start of the game? For instance, Peach's normal castle in Paper Mario, Toad Town in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Super Mario Galaxy (you actually can go back here but only after getting 120 stars as Luigi, which is incredibly hard), or even Destiny Islands in Kingdom Hearts? I know I'm using some bad examples, but you know those? I wish they'd give you some sort of way to get back there. In M&L:SS I spent hours doing Border Jump trying to go on the other side of that building (where Mario and Luigi crash into Stardust Fields) until I realized you only can go there once. You can go back to Destiny Islands, but it's ruined and there is nobody there. I just wish for once they'd let you go to the awesome starting areas. Especially with all your sweet obtained abilities.
KOOLO LIMPA!!!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 09:22:53 AM »
SMRPG is impossible to 100% if you don't jump on someone's head in the first area because you can't go back there after leaving.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 11:27:37 AM »
I think you're talking about a hidden ? Block in the Mushroom Kingdom palace. You can go back there, but the Toad you need to jump off of never returns.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 12:08:08 PM »
Ah, you are right.  Sorry.  I've only played through SMRPG a couple of times.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 12:27:51 PM »
Let's not forget about the S.S. Anne in Pokémon Red Blue and Yellow. There's a rather silly rumor about moving the truck there by getting a Pokémon with the Strength move through a trade and using it there.

Of course, if you happen to have a Pokémon with Cut and never talk to the captain there, you can come back whenever you want. But normally you can't.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 02:00:12 PM »
I remember the S.S. Anne. One of the NPCs says, after the ship leaves, "She'll be back in a year or so." Based on this I assumed that I could get back on if I had a total play time of at least 8,760 hours.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 02:08:55 PM »
The beginning of Super Metroid.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 02:10:27 PM »
The first level in Super Mario Land 2 is a single-time deal, though you can use a code on the title screen to play it any time.

There are levels in Wario Land that change after you do something to the environment, so you can't play them in their original state.  Of course, beating Special World in Super Mario World does something similar, though the actual level designs aren't changed.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 02:11:12 PM »
Most of the beginning of Metroid Prime. The very last part of that frigate is visited again later on, albeit underneath one of Tallon Overworld's bodies of water.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2007, 02:14:14 PM »
I thought of that as well, Vid, but rejected it for that very reason.

In Metroid Fusion, there's an area of the space station on which the game takes place that detaches and self-destructs.

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2007, 02:53:08 PM »
Technically, this is an "Only-twice" location, the G.F.S. Olympus in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2007, 03:16:36 PM »
I don't know if it can somehow be returned to, being stuck without my airship right now, but there's an area in Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings that might fit this. Even if it doesn't, the beginning of the game does fit, as does the beginning of Scurge: Hive.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2007, 04:37:41 PM »
The top part of Krazoa Palace in Star Fox Adventures. I think it bugged me to never be able to get back there.
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 04:43:14 PM »
There's at least one area in Chrono Trigger to which the player can never return. The one I can think of right now is in 12000 BC or whatever the one in the past with magic is, because you can't go back to the floating islands.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 04:45:00 PM by WarpRattler »

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »
I just remembered another one. That little area in Yoshi's Island before you even get to 1-1. Sure, there really isn't a reason you'd want to go back there except for maybe the music which isn't found anywhere else in the game.

However, in the GBA remake, the final area of Secret 6: Endless World of Yoshis is a replica of it although it uses the normal overworld music. Luckily the right music actually is elsewhere in this incredibly hard level.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Print