Print

Author Topic: Super Mario RPG, Yoshi's Cookie (NES) Headed to Virtual Console in Japan  (Read 9693 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: May 30, 2008, 09:39:12 PM »
Nintendo's Japanese Virtual Console schedule updated today with the first release date for Super Mario RPG, which will be available in June for 900 Wii Points. Also coming in June is Yoshi's Cookie (NES). This unique puzzle game starring Yoshi and Mario was released last month in North America, Europe, and Australia.

Link: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/vc/lineup.html
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 01:26:22 AM by Deezer »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:58:47 AM »
At least Nintendo and Square-Enix have enough of a deal now to release SMRPG in Japan.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:39:46 AM »
"Enough of a deal?" Do you notice how many S-E games are coming out on Nintendo systems these days?
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »
Now that the Squaresoft Issue is smoothed over, it's time to work on the Earthbound Legal Issues...

Blech

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 02:37:18 PM »
What Earthbound legal issues?
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 04:48:14 PM »
From what I remember, several songs incorporate pieces of copyrighted songs, like the hippie battle theme, and Salvador Dali's estate sues anyone who uses the droopy watches from the droopy watch picture, so the Dali's Clock enemy is problematic.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 05:13:07 PM »
Pretty sure those are covered (in the US) as parody.  And it was already re-released without incident in Japan.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »
Didn't Yoshi's Cookie already come out in the U.S. (I know we are talking about Japan's release here) and I hope RPG comes out in the U.S.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 08:16:25 PM »
Japan's a lot looser with copyright laws than America, from what I hear. The clocks should be covered under parody, but Dali's estate doesn't want them to be, so NOA is probably going to have to pay royalties or go to court and prove they're right (maybe they can hire John Kirby again). That's if they think Earthbound is worth the trouble.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 08:19:46 PM »
Well Uri Geller sued Nintendo because of a Pokemon based on him.  He lost.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2008, 07:05:38 AM »
Urimon?

The clocks should be covered under parody, but Dali's estate doesn't want them to be, so NOA is probably going to have to pay royalties or go to court and prove they're right (maybe they can hire John Kirby again). That's if they think Earthbound is worth the trouble.
Well, it managed to get released in the first place, right? What, are melting timepieces more valuable now than they were in... whenever Earthbound/the Persistance of Time first came out?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2008, 08:30:04 AM »
Urimon?
Yungerer (AKA Kadabra in the English version)

CrossEyed7

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2008, 12:47:13 PM »
Copyright lawyers just pay more attention these days.

Print