Print

Author Topic: Gallery of BP  (Read 232779 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #195 on: January 13, 2009, 06:20:50 PM »
I don't know any of the technical stuff. One of the members who knows how does the hexing and burns an ISO to a disc (usually with most of the single-player modes cut to fit on the disc).The plan for distribution is to release individual patches for each costume and stage (Syntax Error was going to release one patch that would apply every costume, like it or not), which will be friendlier to the less savvy. That means that yes, in order to play the game with the hacks, you must pirate the game, and you will have a copy of the game that's stuck with whatever combination of stage, item and character hacks you chose. We're not distributing the ISO though.

I want to learn how do hex the textures because Androu is always so busy. He said it best: "The team needs another one of me." If I could get Maya downloaded and could successfully install it, I could test my own hacks before sending them to him...

Actually, between writing this post and now, Androu has found a better program than Maya, and it's a smaller pile of files to download. It'll take me ages to get, but it'll be worth it...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #196 on: January 13, 2009, 08:10:04 PM »
Well, while you're on the topic, I've uploaded a rar of the Brawl Textures for those of you interested. You can view the files with Photoshop or a similar program.

You can get it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/182990843/BrawlTextures.rar.html

Additionally, if you don't want to use Maya (and obviously have no problem pirating these programs) you might want to look into 3D Studio Max, which is also commonly used in industry.

« Reply #197 on: January 13, 2009, 08:11:46 PM »
Oh my god, Black Mage posted.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #198 on: January 13, 2009, 08:15:16 PM »
It's only been six days.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #199 on: January 13, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »
Additionally, if you don't want to use Maya (and obviously have no problem pirating these programs) you might want to look into 3D Studio Max, which is also commonly used in industry.

That is in fact the program I mentioned at the end of my last post. Heh heh heh... My download cap and connection do not agree with me downloading huge stuff like that, though, so it's going to be a while before I get it.
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #200 on: January 14, 2009, 08:16:13 PM »
Well, while you're on the topic, I've uploaded a rar of the Brawl Textures for those of you interested. You can view the files with Photoshop or a similar program.
I downloaded the textures. A few comments on them:

1. There are a surprisingly large number of eye textures. Though I understand why there are so many, there are still many of them.
2. Here's a look at the texture for Snake's face and hair:

"get n_t_o layer" seems to be scrawled right under some of the hair.
3. I pity anyone trying to do a full hack for Link. It's hard to notice the amount of detail for him until you look at his textures.
4. On a similiar note: Bird Person, good luck making tuxedos for Kirby and Jigglypuff.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #201 on: January 15, 2009, 12:33:47 AM »
To tell you the truth, I won't be able to make Jigglypuff's tuxedo. Her textures consist of her monster eyes, the dark in her ears, and then a 4 x 4 block of pink that covers her entire body. Kirby's a bit different and I should be able to make his, maybe. I could draw Jigglypuff wearing a tuxedo to make up for it...

Link should be an easy one to edit. I haven't gotten any ideas for Link hacks, but with the game to use as a reference, it's easy to tell what you're looking at.
It's YOUR problem!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2009, 08:35:29 PM »

This is the first SMAAAASH!! to include the use of Photoshop, I believe. GIMP doesn't have any good filters to simulate the grain of old films. On the way from the original picture and the Photoshopped one, I thought it might be cool to show what secret stuff goes on behind speech bubbles:

Woo, laziness. Even I don't see this kind of thing very often... I usually put the speech bubbles up first so I can see where I'm allowed to let up on the effort. Some video games do things like this, too. Levitating around Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask has seen me behind many a speech bubble...
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »
Is that a Wigglytuff briefing Pika and.. thing? That's pretty good.

I hate losing my characters behind the speech bubbles. Someone went to alot of work to create the teleport animation, and then the speech ballon guy/team came in and said They're going to take up 1/3 of the screen! I like games where the bubble/balloon is broken up or transparent, like in Super Mario Sunshine or Animal Crossing.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2009, 09:54:36 PM »
Cyndaquil, man, Cyndaquil!

I didn't literally mean I was going behind speech bubbles in Zelda. I just used that as sort of a metaphor to say I've gone places I wasn't supposed to. Like the areas when you see them through gates in Clock Town? They're more like previews. It's actually a wonder you can stand on the floors on them--most walls and floors and ceilings you can't touch in OoT and MM are intangible.

Another texture hack. My part for Week of the R.O.B. This was simple and really easy, but it's mostly for the jokes. I especially love that what you see in the last picture worked correctly...
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2009, 10:56:43 PM »

Aaaaaah! Meta-humor!
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #206 on: January 17, 2009, 12:48:09 AM »
I almost forgot about this (it's big, click it to see for yourself):

So that's a new SMAAAASH!!, a new texture hack, and some doodles, all in one night. I hope you like 'em.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #207 on: January 17, 2009, 08:03:39 AM »
Great drawings, BP. I go through the same problems with those word bubbles. I try to put them in corners so that they don't distract the viewer too much and if I can, try to write really small and hope they can read it. Also, ROB looks really cool.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #208 on: January 17, 2009, 01:31:16 PM »
I can't see some of the texture hacks on page 13 and the early part of 14, for whatever reason.

On a side note, I double-taked when I saw this on your site, BP.

("Why'd he put the Wii Sports box on his site?" *closes window* "Wait a minute, there is no Wii Sports box!")
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #209 on: January 17, 2009, 01:57:10 PM »
If you mean all those explanatory images and things in that big post, I know that they broke--I changed the name of the directory "misc" to "stacksmash" because that's mainly what it's for now--but I forgot to change that wherever I linked things from there. I fixed that yesterday.

If you mean something else, I don't know what it is! Heh heh...

I go through the same problems with those word bubbles.

No no, see, I like that the speech bubbles obscure some things--then I don't have to draw, color, shade, etc. as much. You can't see that Slowpoke's legs of the top of the door on that building--so it doesn't matter that they don't exist or look horrible due to laziness. I'm thinking like a real game artist now, not drawing things that nobody's supposed to see. I mean, why would I do that anyway? That's silly.

Another good example: Super Smash Bros. stages. Most things don't have backs. The buildings in Onett don't have walls back there. The foreground on most stages has no sky--just blackness. No one would know this unless they could move the camera around freely, and the game isn't supposed to let you. Sometimes this ruins potential screenshots when you've got a code running to freely control the camera, but the artists did what they needed to do to make the final product, as it's meant to be, look good. But I tell you, I love Isle Delfino because almost everything there actually exists. The sky is complete, the buildings are complete, they only disappear when they would be obstructing the battle area, etc.

But there is absolutely no excuse for being so lazy as to not make a texture for the back of Fox's belt and giving him two belt buckles. They didn't even hide that with his jacket. Don't they like their jobs? Don't they want to make masterpieces? Groan...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 02:08:28 PM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

Print