Print

Author Topic: Gallery of BP  (Read 232696 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #360 on: March 06, 2009, 11:37:50 PM »
The original SSB had terrible terrible horrible terrible Mario terrible graphics. Awful graphics, too. The stages seem to indicate that it wasn't supposed to be cartoony.

Toon Link Toon Link. Until a bit ago I'd theorized he wasn't cel-shaded and simple as in The Wind Waker because he could not be. The lighting engine would actually need to be changed to achieve real cel-shading. What I used was... artificial cel-shading, I guess you could say. You'll notice the normal shading is still there.

But, changing the lighting engine to get real cel-shading would probably be easier than it sounds, because Brawl already has one. Check out the Wind Waker trophies--cel-shading like what the game had. As I was saying, this is where I realized that it would probably be possible to make Toon Link the only cel-shaded character while the others are effected by normal lighting. The trophy dioramas. The cel-shaded trophies and normal-shaded ones can be in the same setup with no problems. I bet it'd be possible to have the same kind of thing for the fighters.

Regardless, I like Toon Link's look in Brawl, except for one thing. His eyebrows don't overlap his hair. That'd probably seriously complicate hacking him, but as far as the real game is concerned...

Anyway this is about the third time I predicted the fans' response to one of my hacks completely wrong. I thought no one would like Pikablu for his simplicity and originality, but I hit enough nostalgia targets and people liked the idea in general. I thought everyone would like Fat Waluigi for the joke with the update being written by him and the screenshots, but it really doesn't look like Waluigi and it was mostly inside-joking. I thought absolutely nobody would like this stylized Captain Falcon judging from The Wind Waker's criticisms and how most fans of Stack Smash just want super-detailed hacks like Dhragen's Sigma or just more danged Sonic characters... but they want more. It's a pleasant surprise--this means they like my art style.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #361 on: March 07, 2009, 12:39:15 AM »
Anyway this is about the third time I predicted the fans' response to one of my hacks completely wrong. I thought no one would like Pikablu for his simplicity and originality, but I hit enough nostalgia targets and people liked the idea in general. I thought everyone would like Fat Waluigi for the joke with the update being written by him and the screenshots, but it really doesn't look like Waluigi and it was mostly inside-joking. I thought absolutely nobody would like this stylized Captain Falcon judging from The Wind Waker's criticisms and how most fans of Stack Smash just want super-detailed hacks like Dhragen's Sigma or just more danged Sonic characters... but they want more. It's a pleasant surprise--this means they like my art style.

>:C
No! I don't want that!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #362 on: March 07, 2009, 11:33:48 AM »
Errrm... what did I say...? Sorry!
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #363 on: March 08, 2009, 04:14:30 AM »
I think he is jealous of your skill

« Reply #364 on: March 08, 2009, 05:52:39 AM »
Erm... Ped Xing, Captain Jim is apart of Stack Smash's staff. <.<

« Reply #365 on: March 08, 2009, 10:29:21 PM »
All the more reasons to be jealous

« Reply #366 on: March 09, 2009, 12:23:25 AM »
lol at Captain Jim being jealous of Bird Person's skills.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #367 on: March 09, 2009, 12:31:22 AM »
No, no, relax. It's just a recurring pattern that even my simplest stuff gets positive reaction while his don't--the reason, he likes to make hacks based on obscure Tatsunoko characters and things that make Sonic fans (excessively immature Sonic fans) angry. I was worried when I didn't catch this; we're best friends in the RL.

Don't get me wrong. We've got each others' backs and support each other. He's got talents I'll never have--he can write, he can sing, and dang can he act--and I don't understand why he's not more proud of them. And his texture skills are improving--just wait till you see this next one he's got up his sleeve.

Now then... here's some... thing.

This... I want to characterize Bowser Jr. in SMAAAASH!! as the cliche reluctant sidekick of the overzealous villain. He'd be way smaller than normal (maybe not Pichu-sized but two feet high, tops), which disappoints his dad, who blames his failures on whoever is available to place blame on. I've considered situations for comics where Mario is shown to be the only one who really cares about him (while Luigi, who I've wanted to portray as sort of a sadist [which stems from older drawings of him where I unintentionally did make him look kind of evil], remains a bitter enemy). Maybe I just want to twist some feelings and confuse people. You all hate him for killing off the Koopalings. Could I be capable of planting sympathy for him in you? We'll see.

Oh and that unnamed Pichu is only there to exaggerate his size. In a real comic it'd be consistent with... this.
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #368 on: March 09, 2009, 10:28:46 AM »
Aw, I don't hate widdle BJ...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #369 on: March 10, 2009, 01:31:04 AM »

Why do I even TRY to draw women...

As for what's going on here, I'd say it was going to be a practical joke formulated by Yoshi, Wario and Luigi that went wrong when Wario took his hat off. And then Real Mario showed up (he's the one on the right of the last panel).

...Holy frejffp I think SMAAAASH!! Luigi is Brawl Mario
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #370 on: March 10, 2009, 09:43:16 AM »
I wasn't sure which one was Luigi because you didn't do his mustache right.

When I saw the title, I thought "Oh boy, here it comes, Toad's gonna tell Mario that Peach is in another castle, then Mario's gonna get mad and beat Toad to a pulp." 

It's just something every other Video Game strip in existence eventually has.  But I suppose you're probably the least likely artist on this board to go the cliche route.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #371 on: March 10, 2009, 12:14:28 PM »
Why would he have the Luigi mustache if he has the Mario cap on, thus making him look like Mario? It's easy to tell which one's Luigi, by the way.
No! I don't want that!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #372 on: March 10, 2009, 04:28:07 PM »
It would be easy to get them mixed up--it's conceivable that if I were boring and made Luigi the wuss he is in the games and everyone else's art, he'd be afraid of Real Mario showing up to lay down the law.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #373 on: March 10, 2009, 05:15:14 PM »
Luigi usually overcomes his own wussiness if the stakes are high enough. And I thought most people prefer to portray Luigi as the cutest thing going in Mario's universe ("People" of course, referring to DevianTARTlets).

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #374 on: March 10, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »
Why are all the hats letterless?
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Print