Print

Author Topic: Paper Mario 3DS images  (Read 48787 times)

« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2012, 06:35:33 PM »
I realise that every game is an experiment, but it seems Nintendo likes to do so more often with Mario and the Paper Mario series than any other game character/franchise. How many spinoffs and such has the Mario series had compared to..anyone else? XD

I agree with BP a bit: maybe they feel like they can't top what they did with PM2, so they haven't really tried to make a game similar to it because they know they can't top it.

Protip: I wasn't excited about the first Paper Mario game either, but I eventually played it and it instantly became one of my favorites. Maybe that'll happen with this game.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2012, 12:25:26 AM »
Yeah, I believe BP is right about them thinking they perfected the formula in TTYD (I think so too), but I think I'm going to enjoy this game regardless. If they really did get rid of partners, I'd be sad because they clearly had some earlier on in development. I guess we'll just have to find out!
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2012, 02:30:52 AM »
Mind you, those prototype companions looked more like generic recruitable enemies than full-fledged partners. Aside from the green Toad who only appeared out-of-battle, none had any distinguishing traits.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2012, 02:47:11 PM »
They could've just been conceptual partners and used generic characters as placeholders until they made final ones. It's common practice in game design to make something fully functional while using placeholder graphics.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2012, 03:13:17 PM »
True, but how often is that shown in trailers?

« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2012, 08:51:36 PM »
Quote from: Wikipedia
The turn-based battles in Sticker Star are similar to those in the original Paper Mario and its first sequel, initiated when Mario comes into contact with enemies in the overworld.[7] The player's available attacks are determined by the stickers currently on hand.[8] For example, a shoe sticker is required for Mario to attack an enemy by jumping on it.[9] However, each sticker is removed from play after one use; it is necessary for the player to consistently collect new stickers.[10] Unlike the previous titles, the player increases his maximum HP and other stats through collection of stickers instead of gaining experience awarded from winning battles.[11] Bonuses or special events that occur during battles can increase Mario's attack power or allow him to use a single sticker multiple times.

I, err...

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2012, 11:12:14 AM »
Sounds great to me.

I bet combat stickers will be easy enough to come across that you'll never have much less than a full stock of them after the first couple of hours. And alternate level systems are always welcome.

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2012, 12:02:54 AM »
Mario needing a powerup to stomp on enemies is like if The Flash had a video game and you needed to unlock the ability to run.

« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2012, 08:45:26 AM »
There should be a couple of standard attacks (ie: jumping and hammer, both of which are typically PM staples, and Mario staples in general) and then there should be the sticker system.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2012, 03:29:29 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0Vo0q8tsCY

New gameplay demo vid. The presence of a world map saddens me. At least it looks like gathering stickers won't be a problem.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 03:49:44 AM by Weegee »

« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2012, 07:03:17 AM »
I hope the map isn't in the dungeon areas.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2012, 02:14:45 PM »
At "Here is where I got stuck before.  I need to..." I scrambled for the mouse button and stopped the video just in time to miss a spoiler I think.   
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #102 on: September 03, 2012, 12:19:26 PM »
The map doesn't seem like much of a problem. I can't verify the accuracy of the comments, but most of them said it was just for quicker traveling, similar to the pipes in the sewers in the first two games. The reason I don't like the lack of an experience point system is it doesn't really give me an incentive to fight enemies aside from gaining coins, unless they can drop stickers or something. Even if they can, they still probably wouldn't be a guaranteed thing after each battle. I like RPGs with experience points because it encourages me to fight the enemies along the way so I'll be prepared for the boss up ahead.

Did anyone else notice how quick the battles were? I can't conclude anything yet, but it seems like you do way too much damage for simple jump and hammer attacks.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
I can't conclude anything yet, but it seems like you do way too much damage for simple jump and hammer attacks.
Doesn't sound too different than the what the entirety of Super Paper Mario was, after a few simple level ups.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:54:13 AM by Kuromatsu »

« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2012, 07:35:20 PM »
Wonder why they increased the Hit Point scale. In any other PM game, basic attacks never go beyond a couple points per hit. Juding by how much damage those attack items caused, we'll probably be hitting for triple digits by the game's end.

Print