Print

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 17754 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:38:14 PM »
There should be a topic for this by now I think.

Quotes from the roundtable:

"We made the map easier to read so it's much harder to get lost. One of our objectives was to bring the core gameplay back and not have all the focus on the amount of dungeons or what the story is."

"Last year we showed a single piece of art. Back then, the story was pretty much complete. We just didn't have much in the way of anything visual to show. For the most part, we're in the final stretch. We still have some dungeons to create, but the gameplay is solid. We're just not confident that we can get the final pieces in for this year. So that's why we revealed a 2011 release."

"How many people remember the scene where Link dives off the cliff in the trailer? That's a very important point for the storyline. This time around, Link is born and raised in a land called Sky Loft, a land floating above the clouds. It may sound unique for someone to live on a floating land, but Link finds it ordinary. A land beneath the clouds is discovered, it's ruled by evil forces, but Link is forced to go there. Link has to travel between the two lands in this adventure. The Skyward Sword is his driving force behind his traveling between lands. That mysterious figure in last year's art is the Skyward Sword. People suspected this to be the Master Sword…but spoiler alert, the Skyward Sword becomes the Master Sword."

The HUD won't be as screen-dominating in the final version, and you can turn it off.

It will have orchestrated music (We couldn't very well do orchestrated music for Galaxy 1 and 2 and then not do it for Zelda, Miyamoto says).

Game continues in realtime while you're drinking potions.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:41:55 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »
not have all the focus on the amount of dungeons or what the story is.

Okay... well, maybe it's for the best.

"Last year we showed a single piece of art. Back then, the story was pretty much complete. We just didn't have much in the way of anything visual to show. For the most part, we're in the final stretch. We still have some dungeons to create, but the gameplay is solid. We're just not confident that we can get the final pieces in for this year. So that's why we revealed a 2011 release."
Yeah, I'm a little let down by... well, looking at that teaser art, I was picturing a badass TP-esque style. Then again, I guess the two would look too similar that way (ala SMG2).

"How many people remember the scene where Link dives off the cliff in the trailer? That's a very important point for the storyline. This time around, Link is born and raised in a land called Sky Loft, a land floating above the clouds. It may sound unique for someone to live on a floating land, but Link finds it ordinary. A land beneath the clouds is discovered, it's ruled by evil forces, but Link is forced to go there. Link has to travel between the two lands in this adventure. The Skyward Sword is his driving force behind his traveling between lands. That mysterious figure in last year's art is the Skyward Sword. People suspected this to be the Master Sword…but spoiler alert, the Skyward Sword becomes the Master Sword."
Well... okay, the sky city thing's a little old, and that's probably the most extreme interpretation of Link's backstory that I've ever seen, but hey, that's cool.

…And I'm typing this in a separate document for ease of modification, and I just saw the spoiler. [darnit].

The HUD won't be as screen-dominating in the final version, and you can turn it off.
Thank God. That Wii Remote was raping about a third of the screen.

It will have orchestrated music (We couldn't very well do orchestrated music for Galaxy 1 and 2 and then not do it for Zelda, Miyamoto says).
YES.

Game continues in realtime while you're drinking potions.
That's pretty trivial compared to the last stuff, but... okay. Sure.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:49:41 AM »
It's not really trivial though when you think about it. You always got a second to "instantly" refill your health in other Zelda games. Here you might bite the dust anyway.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:53:27 AM »
Well, I guess what I mean is they were like "plot information, orchestrated music... oh, and no time-stopping while drinking."

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 12:56:24 PM »
My thoughts on this game are: it looks terribly gimmicky and the controls during the onstage demo were hilariously bad. I'm not upset that I'll be missing out on this one.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 01:54:07 PM »
I didn't watch the demo video, so maybe I should keep it that way for my own optimism's sake. Still, it's a demo, people.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 02:06:52 PM »
bobman must be watching some other game because this one looks fine.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 02:11:50 PM »
Shiggy had problems controlling it before the "interference" even started.  It was so bad at one point that I thought he was a terrible gamer or faking it.  I haven't heard any people on the floor report any such problems. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 02:15:38 PM »
Was there real interference? I thought he was just mocking Steve Jobs.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 02:58:01 PM »
"Skyward Sword" is obviously a phallic reference.

not have all the focus on the amount of dungeons or what the story is.

My favourite part of the Zelda series has always been roaming through Hyrule's expansive fields. Therefore, this sounds promising.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 08:57:52 AM »
Images and art from the press site are now available here:  http://picasaweb.google.com/GoldMetalSonicE32010/TheLegendOfZeldaSkywardSwordWii#
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 10:24:07 AM »
Yeah the control for the shield and sword look awful, before the so called "interference" started. I was face-palming the entire time. Not pointing the Wiimote but aiming some how anyway? What the hell does that mean? I just want to press buttons to attack and defend and point and shoot projectiles. I do like the new movement, with Link running and jumping, the coloring looks a lot more interesting than it did in Twilight Princess as well.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 07:05:49 AM »
IGN: Would you like to say something on the record about how the Skyward Sword demonstration went at Tuesday's press conference? What went wrong, and how can it be improved when the game finally comes out?

Miyamoto: Actually, we don't need to polish up the game -- what we need to do is polish up the technology that we use for demonstrating it on stage. (laughs) Because that's what the problem was. In the game itself, the play control is very smooth and it's very easy to play. I think if you get the chance to play it yourself, you'll realize that what we experienced on stage was just a technical issue.

And then you can also play the E3 demo and see those little areas where the questions are, and the item menu, and then look forward to what we might reveal about what other items are in the game.

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 06:00:59 PM »
My favourite part of the Zelda series has always been roaming through Hyrule's expansive fields.
Have you ever played an actual open-world game? I think your mind would be blown.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »
I would have an easier time believing there was a logical thought process behind this if they hadn't said the exact same thing about Wind Waker and then made Twilight Princess.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 08:04:43 PM »
I like the style. It's as if Twilight Princess and Wind Waker had a baby.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 08:09:07 PM »
Wouldn't that be incest since both games use the same engine?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
That explains why Link has six fingers.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 09:52:17 PM »
Wind Waker was the sister.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2011, 03:25:41 PM »
The Main Theme.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWOST0aJlxc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWOST0aJlxc</a>
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 08:14:52 PM »
Stop it.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 07:03:16 PM »
The Main Theme.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWOST0aJlxc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWOST0aJlxc</a>

You [darn] kids...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 07:05:07 PM by coolkid »
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 12:03:44 AM »
Well now that you've brought this up again, did anyone else see the new trailer from the Game Developers Conference 2011?
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 07:47:39 AM »
Well now that you've brought this up again, did anyone else see the new trailer from the Game Developers Conference 2011?

Which one? The April Fools one from Zelda Dungeon or the second official trailer? They were both better than the first trailer. The Twilight Princess trailers captured a cinematic, dark feeling, while Skyward Sword trailers are just snippets of game footage over and over. Not counting the little bits of cutscenes or whatever that's thrown in.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 05:02:58 PM »
But it's a game
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 06:12:32 PM »
Yeah, really. Nothing is gained from pre done scenes. The more I see of how the game handles the better. And really, I usually don't care about the story for Zelda.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

A

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 08:36:03 PM »
I usually don't care about the story for Zelda.
Are you sure you don't mean Mario?

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 08:47:58 PM »
No, Zelda. They aren't bad, but they aren't exactly The Great Gatsby. You discover you're a hero, you get a horse/boat/train, start collectin the plot coupons, and you rescue a princess.

I'm more than willing to be pleasantly surprised if this new one makes me reevaluate my world view, but really, I'm just expecting a well made game that somehow works fishing into the the whole floating island thing. Because they also love fishing
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 12:02:38 AM »
The majority of the game is going to take place in Hyrule; Link only starts out in the floating island place above Hyrule (called Skyloft, if I remember correctly), hence the dramatic jumping off a cliff scene in the trailer: he's descending into Hyrule.

No idea how they're explain him surviving the fall, though. Probably some magic thingy.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 02:55:24 PM »
Bottle fairy
It's YOUR problem!

A

« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 05:03:21 PM »
Bottle fairy
you're a bottle fairy
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 07:45:44 PM »
A few amazing new trailers:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw3iVfC8v44" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw3iVfC8v44</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRBHGiY0-ss" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRBHGiY0-ss</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgM-QlZDlY4" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgM-QlZDlY4</a>

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
[trailers]
Y U NO GREEN LINK!!111!ELVENTY1111!!!?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 02:01:17 AM »
No, Zelda. They aren't bad, but they aren't exactly The Great Gatsby. You discover you're a hero, you get a horse/boat/train, start collectin the plot coupons, and you rescue a princess.

SURPRISE ZELDA ISNT EVEN A PRINCESS IN THIS'N AHAHA

If she becomes one at some point, though, I called it
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 09:49:59 AM »
Yesterday I got a Nintendo Power with an article about Skyward Sword. Who wants scans?

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 12:51:18 PM »
Oh. Yes. What a twist that will be. The person, Zelda, has been a princess for 25 years. Now they say she's not. No one believes them, and then they reveal she really was a princess. Truly. Shocking.

I thought Future cancelled Nintendo Power

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2011, 02:38:43 PM »
I thought Future cancelled Nintendo Power
Nope.avi
I'm subscribed to it. I'll prove it by scanning the cover in (or taking a pic) when I get home. I'm at lunch right now.

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 02:57:51 PM »
You don't have to prove it to me. Was the piece on Zelda good? Yeah, scan that in. 

« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »
Not too shabby.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »
My avatar=what EGM might want to be doing right now.

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
EGM hasn't been relevant since last gen anyway.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRBHGiY0-ss" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRBHGiY0-ss</a>

Zelda's nose is too big; wouldn't bang.

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2011, 08:03:04 PM »
I've been playing the crap out of this game. It's the best I've ever played.

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2011, 03:30:23 AM »
It's definitely one of the best Zelda games to date.

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2011, 09:42:55 AM »

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »
I'll put it this way: SS is everything TP should have been.

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »
I'll put it this way: SS is everything TP should have been.
MustfixWiimustfixWiimustfixWii!

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2011, 05:24:57 PM »
I am definitely loving this game. I'm currently in the 4th temple. The lack of familiar locations makes me a little sad, though the tons of connections and references to other games sort of makes up of that.

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2011, 11:58:13 PM »
Five or six Game Overs during the first boss battle, none of which were my fault.

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2012, 10:20:09 PM »
This is officially tied with Donkey Kong Country Returns for my favorite game on Wii.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
26 hours in. Best Zelda since Wind Waker.

If it can keep this up, it'll be the best ever.

Just stop effing telling me what an amber fragment thing is every time i pick one up even if i already played the game earlier today and picked up an amber fragment thing then

At least it doesn't tell me what a Blue Rupee is every session like Twilight Princess did. And it also doesn't suck and be boring like Twilight Princess did.

Also, I'm still not really sure how you're supposed to do the first boss.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2012, 12:58:06 AM »
Having more-or-less completed the game, I can say this is probably the best LoZ to date.

Assuming you're referring to Skyview Temple's boss, in the first phase you should wave your sword around until he stops moving his hand accordingly, then strike from the opposite angle. In part deux, volley back his arrows with properly-angled slashes, use horizontal or vertical strikes depending on how he's holding his sword, shield-bash his regular attacks to stun him, and disrupt his dash-and-slash move with well-timed Spin Attacks.

Just stop effing telling me what an amber fragment thing is every time i pick one up even if i already played the game earlier today and picked up an amber fragment thing then

CrossEyed7

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2012, 01:20:15 AM »
Also -- while Fi nagging you about your low hearts is really lame and stupid (with no way to avoid the message other than healing, meaning that if you want to know the name of an enemy when you only have three hearts, Link calls Fi out, she tells him his hearts are low, she goes back into the sword, and then he calls her out a second time, which is almost as dumb as the times when she tells you something in a cutscene, goes back into the sword, the cutscene fades out, it fades in to gameplay, and Fi comes out again and tells you what she just told you, only more explicitly), the one-heart beep is very unobtrusive. Almost... too much so. It should stay the way it is when just walking around, but I think it would add a lot to the tension if the sound got more urgent when you have one heart left during a boss fight, and maybe even more so when you have a fraction of a heart.

But hey, if I'm telling a Zelda game that its one-heart beep isn't annoying enough, that in and of itself is a monumental leap forward for the series.

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2012, 01:39:44 AM »
Speaking of losing hearts, who here has tried [SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE GAME] Hero Mode? It's difficult until you get the Heart Medal, at which point it becomes hardly any different.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2012, 01:40:52 PM »
Best Zelda game.

No fooling, I liked it better than Ocarina of Time. The story was as good. The characters were better. The controls, I *****ed about until I got to the first dungeon, then I finally shook hands with them and agreed that it wasn't going to be as easy as mashing B and spamming jump attacks this time. The monsters were boss. The bosses were monster. The music was lovely. All the cutscenes felt like they were supposed to. The item upgrades were the best idea. I never had a full wallet.

I want to play it in HD. So bad. Wii U, fulfill my wish, please.
It's YOUR problem!

Print