Print

Author Topic: Catharsis  (Read 5130 times)

« on: May 24, 2011, 12:54:19 AM »
How do you decompress? Blow off steam? Whatever the term, dealing with and releasing feelings.

I tend to draw. Rarely complete items, sometimes I paint, more towards the abstract, or doodle, nothing that I need to be good, because in that state it won't look how I want and whatever I'm dealing with instead turns to aggravation.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:10:48 AM »
Playing a rhythm game loud and hard or reading a magazine.

I don't really ever have much stress though. Reading the Fungi Forums is literally the most enraging thing in my life.

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:15:27 AM »
Don't you play the world's highest-rated handheld game to relieve stress, LD?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 01:17:33 AM »
Well there's a girl I know named Rosie...

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 01:18:20 AM »
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 on GBA? Nah, I haven't played that since my friend used to lend me his copy during high school study hall.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 01:31:39 AM »
I'm a merry old soul and don't often get upset. And if someone or something is really bothering me, I take care of it by talking about it. Life's too short to blow worrying and crying
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 01:51:12 AM »
Now don't go knocking a good cry for it's cleansing ability. Sadness needs just as much of a release as anger or any other stresses.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 02:25:48 AM »
Before I zoomed in on the page, the thread title looked like "Catherine," and I thought, "shouldn't this be in Video Game Chat?" (Side note: ShadowBrian will probably use Catherine for stress relief.)

I don't really get stressed out over anything. Though, right now blowing up stuff in The 3rd Birthday or any number of shmups is helping me deal with that whole "no Internet" thing.

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 03:13:53 AM »
FPSes normally help me take out my frustrations. Especially games like Left 4 Dead, where the mixture of therapeutic zombie slaughter and light-hearted banter serves well to get rid of those nasty feelings.

Also, I like things that help me immerse myself in another world, whether that be a game like GTAIV with a stronger story, watching a good movie, any of that. Writing's also a massive part of it.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 03:25:01 AM »
I don't understand how you people channel your frustrations into constructive activities. If I tried writing while angry, I'd probably just snap the pencil and rip the paper to shreds.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:28:14 AM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 03:43:36 AM »
Eating chocolate or playing a video game.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 07:49:31 AM »
I'll admit that I have a history of handling my anger poorly, because although I'm usually pretty mellow, I'm an embarassment to myself and/or others if something really gets my goat. But as for the methods I probably should use to relax that I've had success with... well, listen to music, I guess. Of course, that can sometimes exacerbate whatever's stressing me out, so maybe I need to work on that. I have some kind of stomach condition right now that may or may not have been started/egged on by stress, so I can't give a decent answer.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 11:06:27 AM »
I go on really long walks. As a little bonus, I've lost around ten pounds.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 03:43:46 AM »
My girlfriend. If she's not there, Galaxy 1+2/DKCR/SMK/SMW/etc. and/or playing my piano + learning new songs with it helps a lot. Though, if I have a problem, I have pretty big trouble shifting it until it's solved.

Oh yeah, I listen to some songs that I like. Mario Stadium from Mario Sports Mix is good, and the wifi menu song from the same game.
Formerly quite reasonable.

A

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 06:15:19 PM »
How do you decompress? Blow off steam? Whatever the term, dealing with and releasing feelings.
My girlfriend.
You might want to reword that, bud. Otherwise...

Wait, is there like a Chris Hanson for domestic abuse?
"I was going to post and say "I have one of those!" because I recognized the hair immediately, but then the rest of the pic loaded and I nearly spit my drink out."
1-800-COLLECT: SAVE A BUCK OR TWO!!

Print