Print

Author Topic: The Fungi Forums Plays Terraria - (Win the game here!)  (Read 13245 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: May 28, 2011, 07:37:12 PM »
Terraria is like Minecraft, but in 2D. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7uOhFTrrq0" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7uOhFTrrq0</a>

Here's the official blurb, "Dig, fight, explore, build! Nothing is impossible in this action-packed adventure game. The world is your canvas and the ground itself is your paint.  Grab your tools and go! You can do many things in Terraria: make weapons and fight off a variety of enemies in numerous biomes, dig deep underground to find accessories, money, and other useful things, gather wood, stone, ores, and other resources to create everything you need to make the world your own and defend it. Build a house, a fort, even a castle, and people will move in to live there and perhaps even sell you different wares to assist you on your journey. But beware, there are even more challenges awaiting you... Are you up to the task?"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQrlNE5d5jE" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQrlNE5d5jE</a>

It's available on Steam for PC. 

If you don't have it yet checkout the steam link above or reply with an image or video of Terraria, your Steam ID, and your spill as to why you want Terraria, but can't buy it yourself.  I'll give up to four copies away in June.  You have until the end of May to enter.  Happy exploring. 

If you already have Terraria post your info below if you want to play some coop. 

Steam ID:  drshows

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:55:40 PM »

(ultra-ancient screen, like, pre-alpha; taken from this Rock, Paper, Shotgun article)

It seems a lot more interesting than Minecraft proper due to the perspective and the emphasis on combat, and, more importantly, it should run nicely on my netbook. And I'm mostly broke right now due to school stuff.

And you know my Steam ID is WarpRattler.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »
Less than two days left.  Anyone else want to win the game and/or play coop?

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »
http://i.imgur.com/dnrn9.jpg (Seems like fun with the multiple floors and whatnot; from this review.)

I want Terraria for a couple of reasons. For one, Minecraft has yet to really fill the void I want for online play, and Terraria seems like it'll be a much easier game to have multiple people join in. Also, it seems much more diverse than Minecraft and more capable of other tasks that would increase the enjoyment of gameplay. I can't afford it right now because I'm nearly broke from college class and I've maxed out my non-essential purchases for the next month or so.

Steam ID: onewa1991
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:04:50 AM by Bigluigifan1.0 »
I'm a horrible person.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:58:39 AM »
I like that design, but didn't know NPCs could jump that high.  Anyway, today's the last day to enter for a free game. 

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 11:36:19 AM »
Thanks much for the free game, Luigison. It's downloading right now.

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 12:16:01 PM »
Yeah, it plays really well. Thanks again!

Not having nearly as many problems as I did with Minecraft. Still have to get used to it, though.
I'm a horrible person.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 02:48:13 PM »
I just saw this and it made me think of Terraria. 

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 09:25:41 PM »
haha wow.

So, my brother has actually been playing a lot lately and he's saying he wants to get some people online and go on an expedition for something. It has something to do with the "Eye of Cthulhu" I think. I haven't been playing a whole lot lately, but as it turns out, my brother has built a rather large building and has a few "guests" staying with him. I was surprised he was able to get so much progress done. I'm hoping to get back into things tonight.
I'm a horrible person.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 10:22:26 PM »
Terraria needs Steam Cloud support. I'd probably play a lot more if I could transfer my character between devices easily.

As I understand it, the game came out earlier than intended because a playable version got leaked and they didn't want to screw over paying customers, so the functionality might be added at some point.

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 10:54:52 PM »
[8-bit orgy of death]

Isn't posting that on a Mario forum, like, treason?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 08:14:49 AM »
That is plenty disturbing, but now I really want to see a Mario game that explores what's actually at the bottom of those pits (I'd expect it would have to be an RPG, since those usually are the only ones to whip out the self-referential humor).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 02:08:53 PM »
I'd expect it to be a bit like SPM's Underwhere.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 05:11:29 PM »
Oh, I loved that place--still have the music stuck in my head from time to time.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 09:47:11 PM »
In the course of a few minutes I managed to get killed by a giant worm, then drown, then get killed by a giant worm while drowning.

I love this game.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 12:21:32 PM »
I have one more copy of the game to give away.  Restriction is that you have to currently be or have been a mod on this forum, TMK staff, or have contributed something that is now posted on TMK or at least acknowledged by TMK staff.  Simply respond to this thread or PM me that you interested.  First response wins. 

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 09:58:12 PM »

I killed two Devourers with a single bomb. Felt good man.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 07:27:26 PM »

First I find two demon altars near the initial spawn for this world, and now this. Thanks, game.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 12:38:59 AM »

From 1.0.5. I can't wait to pretend to play VVVVVV in Terraria!

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 07:59:54 AM »
Quick question. Would this or Minecraft be a better buy? I've got more friends who play Minecraft, and I like it for the fact that at any given time you can get the server creator to op you and wreak havoc, but this looks a bit more like the action-y goodness I'm more adjusted to. I'm a bit iffy about the Mana bar on the right hand side. Can anyone give any clarification?
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2011, 08:53:03 AM »
From what I've played so far, Terraria is actually quite comparable to Minecraft.  Both have a pretty steep learning curve at the beginning, similar mechanics, and - so far - about the same amount of depth to the combat.  Of course, even if I were far enough into Terraria to give you more than just my first impressions, it is, by all accounts, mostly a matter of personal preference.

Mind you, Minecraft has a pretty big modding community for everything from graphics mods to adding whole new blocks, so chances are if you don't find what you're looking for in either of them, Minecraft might be more likely to remedy that.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2011, 09:34:32 AM »
Ultima Shadow, the mana gauge is used for a few mid- to late-game items, including cool stuff like the SPACE GUN. You don't have one to start and don't really need to worry about it for a while, since the earliest you can get mana-using items is from destroying Shadow Orbs (which can be reached early using dynamite, but normally requires the fifth-tier pickaxe).

The learning curve isn't particularly steep, especially since the only punishment for death is that you drop half of the money you're carrying at the time, but you might still want to keep the game's wiki handy for things like drop rates and biome information.

Also, Minecraft costs twice as much. Just a thought.

Also also, grappling hook.

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2011, 10:44:59 AM »
I have one more copy of the game to give away.  Restriction is that you have to currently be or have been a mod on this forum, TMK staff, or have contributed something that is now posted on TMK or at least acknowledged by TMK staff.  Simply respond to this thread or PM me that you interested.  First response wins. 

I'll take it!.. if noone else has.

I've never been a mod or on staff, but I have contributed something. See the SMB3 bugs page. :)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »
Toad, can post your Steam info on http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=13602.0;all and/or PM me. 

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 05:06:39 PM »
Done and done. :)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 07:07:56 PM »
Toad, your gift should be in your account now.  If it doesn't popup try restarting Steam.  Have fun.

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 06:08:35 AM »
I got it. Thank you very much!

I played for a bit last night, and would have then posted impressions, but it was late and I had to get up early today.

Anyway, it seems to me like this kind of game would work better on a console, with a controller. I was always hit by Slimes when fighting them because they would jump over me and I would often be facing the wrong direction after that.

It seems like it's a lot of fun, though, and I can't wait to play some more later today. I'll have to search for a pc game controller though. I have one, just need to find it..

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 09:21:37 AM »
Trust me, no, Terraria pretty much requires direct input (mouse or touchscreen). Too much stuff to do that needs that cursor. A gamepad would be dreadfully slow for anything except, like, killing stuff with a sword.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 10:04:25 AM »
I'm more of a controller guy myself, but I suggest you stick with the keyboard/mouse controls.  I had a hard time with them at first too, but got used to it and now can't see how you'd play with a controller.  It's also now an options to set the ESC menu to pause the game.  I think that would have helped me in the beginning.  Also note that the pickaxe and sword can be swung no matter where your mouse pointer is.   You can take advantage of the for switching weapons or place them in easy to reach number buttons.  For the slimes, you'll get used to their movements, make better weapons and armor, and soon they won't even be a concern. 

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 03:29:43 PM »
Yeah, the addition of a pause button was a Godsend. I actually only played the game once before 1.0.4 came out and added that, and the inability to pause was a big part of why I didn't play it more before then.

1.0.5 is going to have a lot more accessibility and gameplay tweaks, including showing the name of the item you currently have selected over the item bar, showing the names of items on-screen when you pick them up, and hotkeys for potions. Can't wait for that to come out.

(Speaking of keys, for anyone who's interested, F10 turns on the framerate display, and F11 turns off the HUD.)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 10:46:46 PM »
1.0.6 sounds great.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2011, 11:35:51 AM »
And Terraria is on sale for $2.49 right now.

GO GO GO

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 11:26:50 AM »
Four years later, this game has still not ceased to see the addition of new content.  1.3 has added a slew of new stuff, including a new game mode and a further extension of "endgame."  Inventory management and user interfaces have been polished to the point where they're basically the best I've seen in the medium.  The amount of content was already staggering and it's only gotten more so (especially notable since most of it would have been paid DLC if released by a major publisher).  My character's head is a slime.  If you still haven't played it, then now is the time to try it out.  Or rediscover it.

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 01:33:43 PM »
I'm waiting on the Linux version this July.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2015, 06:15:48 AM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume desktop > mobile version?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »
I haven't seen too much of mobile, but from what I have, you'd be right.  Plus PC has the fullest support and has had it for the longest time, being the original.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 10:08:13 AM »
Ah, alright. I thought as much, but I've bought games in the past that it became very apparent later were actually designed more for phones (see: Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP)

Print