Print

Author Topic: Favorite 3D Software  (Read 5596 times)

« on: March 20, 2013, 06:27:30 PM »
I've become interested in wanting to create 3D images and such, and wanting to look into it. What is a good 3D software for the PC?

I've heard of two programs (3DS Max and Maya) but I wonder if there are any more..?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:53:33 PM »
I use 3ds Max. It's great and easy to use, but much like Photoshop, learning how to get it to do what you want it to in the most efficient way is the hard part.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 07:45:36 PM »
I remember the three big ones as 3DS Max, Maya, and SoftImage.  ...Is SoftImage still around any more?  I haven't heard much of it...
Of the three (or two), I think 3DS Max is the friendliest.  It will still take a great deal of time and effort to get to know it, but I think it's the most helpful in learning terms.
But those three are also all professional-level programs, and cost many monies.  I know there are smaller-scale programs around (things like Blender), but I don't know too much of them.  Blender does seem to be a free favorite, though.
Or if you just feel like playing around (and your computer can handle it) Sculptris is a neat program that tries a more intuitive approach to modeling.  But last I heard, it wasn't so much an alternative to proper 3D modeling so much as a supplement, if you mean to make models for any kind of purpose (like games or animation)...

In any case, I think I'm a number of years out of touch, so that may not all be accurate.
Go Moon!

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:40:09 PM »
Don't these types of 3D software cost a few thousand bucks?
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 01:17:22 AM »
It's YOUR problem!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 02:03:53 PM »
When I was in high school, I really got into Rhinoceros, but apparently NURBS are for chumps. I tried to get into Blender when TF2 first allowed the submission of custom items, but I was unable to teach myself how to use it.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »
I was thinking I could use something that's fun to just mess around with (like Windows Paint and more recently, Photoshop). Thank you all.

Now if I could just some of these programs for under 1,000 bucks.. BP, I get what you're saying with that hilarious image..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »
I've worked in blender for a couple years now. It has a massive learning curve, but if you dedicate yourself to learning it, you'll be pleased with the results. It really comes down to watching tutorials to help break it down into simpler concepts.
Unwillingly, but successfully! Twice!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 08:25:46 PM »
I bet if Photoshop or Max were more like 20 dollars they'd get more buys. One reason I still use GIMP is because I just couldn't get a Photoshop crack to work at all. I'd buy it if it weren't stupid expensive.

But I bet they make most of their sales from schools or something... so maybe I'm wrong.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »
Can you get physical copies of the software? You might want to look into seeing if you can get a used copy.
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »
I have been looking, but I also started back to work this week. Searching time will be decreased for a while.

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 11:16:53 PM »
I'm a huge fan of Blender, personally. The sculpting is pretty easy to pick up and it's free and open source, which are always pluses in my book.
Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself... that is coffee.

Print