Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey  (Read 66151 times)

« on: January 12, 2017, 11:14:42 PM »
This was just announced during the Switch presentation:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kcdRBHM7kM</a>

What do you guys think? It'll be interesting to see exactly how levels are completed, since they did mention it'll be like Mario 64. I also hope Mario's hat has about as much dialogue as the Luma and at most 99% less than FLUDD.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 12:13:12 AM by bobbysq1337 »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 11:42:57 PM »

Look at that hair
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 11:57:56 PM »
THE HYPE IS REAL

Here's hoping you can jump on the real people's heads.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 12:02:16 AM »
The fact it's a holiday release is kinda scary, but BotW and the fact that it's Mario are assuring me.
Also the graphical quality and the $299 for the Switch tell me the system uses Pascal, so I'm game.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 12:20:53 AM »
Interestingly enough, you can see some DKC references showing up in the street names of the city level. (which appears to be named "New Donk City") I wonder if that'll actually mean anything or if it's just there to be there. I could totally see a boss battle against Donkey/Cranky Kong there involving jumping over barrels.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 01:56:39 AM »
I don’t want Mario Odyssey. I want Mario Illiad. I want war to erupt with airships and navies and tank squadrons, all that cool stuff you saw in Super Mario Brothers 3, all going at it. I want Koopa Kids leading armies, getting their asses kicked, their names taken. I want absolute destruction of the Mushroom worlds as war erupts. You want a different type of Mario game? Mario jumping around New York is stupid. I like Mario surrounded by nasty war. It’s been done before in Mario 3 and the vibe I think is the best that Mario can offer (e.g. the airship levels, world 8 in mario 3). ~Sean Malstrom

https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2017/01/13/email-switch-presentation-thoughts/

So, this is what he truly thinks about the series in his childhood.

Would you want something like that?

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 03:35:06 AM »
New Donk City

Please let that name survive localization.

If the hat does have dialogue, how does it talk? Is the mouth the head hole? Is the hat tasting Mario's sweaty hair at all times?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 03:24:57 PM »
The city world makes me think about some other platforming game where the protagonist has cartoonish proportions and spends a lot of time in an urban setting... he had the ability to run really fast, it was a game on the GameCube, what was it...

Oh yeah, Viewtiful Joe
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »

Look at that hair

The hair is so detailed like DKCTF.
Bowser impostor in 5-4, Japanese god in real life!

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 04:27:54 AM »

Look at that hair

And look at those beautiful blue eyes

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 07:40:57 AM »
Tremendously hyped. The "real city" stuff is definitely weird, but it seemingly went exactly where I was expecting it to -- from galaxies to different dimensions (or at least two of them) -- and even looks to include the Mario equivalent of the Minish Cap to boot. I could get mad about it not launching with the Switch, but the truth is I'll be good and occupied with BotW until then.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 03:13:55 PM »

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 03:36:45 PM »

Look at that hair

Mario: Took 40 minutes to sculpt my eyebrows.
Bowser impostor in 5-4, Japanese god in real life!

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 07:16:07 PM »
How so I get hair like that? Is it an Italian thing?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 08:50:35 PM »
As an Italian, yes. ;)

Print