Print

Author Topic: A world without PlayStation...?  (Read 2218 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: January 03, 2003, 08:14:46 AM »
If the PlayStation was never made, do you think video games would be better off? Sega would still be making consoles, and Nintendo would still be number one...But would we ever have the advanced graphics and technology that video game consoles have brought us in the last 5 years?

Think about it, PlayStation has revolutionized the video games industry by being one of the first consoles to bring full 3D polygonal games to home consoles. It was also one of the main consoles to pioneer the use of CD-ROM formatted games instead of bulky cartridges (not that there's nothing wrong with cartridges...).

Also, PlayStation 2 was the first console to bring PC-quality graphics (at that time) to the home console world. And ever since then, gamers have been demanding consoles that are consistantly more powerful...that push the boundaries between fantasy and reality.

So if PlayStation never existed, do you think video game consoles would have ever reached the potential they have now? Would CD-ROM formatted games have ever become a reality?

Edited by - Mario Maniac on 1/3/2003 6:20:07 AM
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2003, 11:12:14 AM »
Without Playstation, I think Nintendo would do about what they have done with Playstation.  I mean, they never realy paid much attention to the market or to their fans requests.  SMB3 hasn't been remade.  It took 6 years for a SM64 sequel (SMS).  They made the VirtualBoy even though the other console makers wouldn't.  I think that Nintendo made the minidisc for GCN more because of the 3rd party designers requests, and the problems with rom copying than anything to do with Playstation.  Nintendo's has always and still does put fun and play control far above graphic and making games lifelike.  Every notice how a lot of playstation games even though they have excellent graphics become old so fast while Nintendo's games like Mario are often played over and over.  Also, Nintendo is slow to get into online gaming compared to xbox and playstation.  Even Mario's Creater makes games He likes to play.  I don't think He ever looked at Playstation and wanted to copy them.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2003, 12:19:48 PM »
It would have been better if Sony PUBLISHED games, and not develop systems.
 n/a

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 12:43:50 AM »
Mario Maniac, you forgot one very important thing...
Nintendo hired Sony to help them make a 32-bit CD-ROM based add-on (any more hyphens and I'll faint) to the SNES, which was to be called the PlayStation! Sony then backed out of the deal, and took all the stuff they had been developing together!
So yes, CD-ROM games would have become a reality anyway!
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2003, 08:33:13 AM »
So if Sony stayed with Nintendo and co-developed the PlayStation, then Sony wouldn't be a competitor! Basically, it's all Sony's fault we now have a rival PlayStation system.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2003, 10:43:10 PM »
Yes, it is.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 04:08:41 AM »
What I heard is that Sony were going to be with Nintendo but Nintendo did't like the CD thing. I can't remember where I heard that though...
-----------------------------
I like Sonic better than mario kinda..

Print