Print

Author Topic: A Rather Interesting Signature Discovery  (Read 8766 times)

« on: May 16, 2003, 04:51:57 PM »
Has anyone else noticed that all the apostrophes in signatures are turned into quotation marks? Notice such signatures as Marionut#1, marioguy, and Lizard Dude.

Anyone have any theories?

"I''m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven!"

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 05:52:35 PM »
I don't know much about ASP (what this forum was coded in), but from what I know about programming, apostrophes are commonly used as a necessary part of programming languages. For example, this can cause a problem in JavaScript when you want to use an apostrope in a word to display on the screen, but there is a work-around for this.

So I'm guessing a similar type of work-around  is causing the double apostrophe phenomenon in the signature lines.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 08:08:59 PM »
I asked that very same question like a month ago. Similar response.

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 08:37:07 PM »
Actually, the apostrophes are not turned into quotation marks. They're simply doubled. If you, for example, put don'''t in your profile for your signature, what you get is don''''''t (all apostrophes). Copy your signature, paste it into a word processor, and try to put a space in between the apostrophes—you'll be able to.

As you can see, my signature doesn't have this problem. That's because there's actually an easy way around it. Notice the difference between these: " and “ and ”. Fonts such as Arial (the one this forum uses), which were designed for the Internet, use the first of those quotation marks by default because browsers cannot tell which of the other two quotation marks to use when (like word processors can). What the forum does to your signature is double all of the ' that you use; if you use ’ instead, it no longer gives you any trouble. Try it!

Lizard Dude’s sig is my favorite.

Edited by - Watoad on 5/16/2003 7:42:42 PM

The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 09:17:32 PM »
Groovy! My sig's fixed! (I noticed that the 'Smart Quotes' ARE different from normal ones. They were in SQ's when I pasted my fanfic.)

--------------------
If things don’t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 09:22:08 PM »
Well said, but changing the font requires HTML.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 09:24:51 PM »
Actually, what I did was go to Word, type a quote mark, then it automatically changed to a Smart Quote. I simply copy-pasted it into my sig slot.

--------------------

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 09:40:35 PM »
Your right.  My mistake.  I use HTML so much that I use Notepad for everything and forget about using other characters that way.  
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 09:49:16 PM »
WOOOOOT I got mentioned in someone elses post And my sig is finally fixed I da man!

It‘s-a me, Marionut#1!

Edited by - Marionut#1 on 5/16/2003 9:29:28 PM
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 10:02:22 PM »
Marionut#1,

The secrets in the SotFSK are just that.  Secrets.  The members of the SotFSK are Secret Keepers.

Hey you were mentioned again.  And I'll even comment on your sig.  It's not original, and correcting the problem with it was someone else's idea.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2003, 10:06:52 PM »
Oh, Marionut, speaking of your sig... If you want to be entirely grammatically correct (to show up Marioguy :P), it should be:
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

--------------------

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2003, 10:10:53 PM »
Ok. Sig is "gramatically correct"  What are you talking about Luigison? I could acctually care less about these stupid secrets. I dont know what point your trying to make.

It‘s-a me Marionut#1
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2003, 10:13:22 PM »
"I could acctually care less about these stupid secrets."

Me too, but some people take this forum very seriously.  So, I respect them and have decided not to do things that they would consider harmful.  

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2003, 10:16:55 PM »
BUT WHAT DO YOU MEAN!!! WHAT WAS THE POINT OF YOU POSTING ABOUT IT! sorry for yelling, but I dont get what you mean

It‘s-a me Marionut#1
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2003, 10:19:30 PM »
Oh, Marionut, that wasn't what I meant you needed to change. I'll put it in asterisks:
It's-a me*,* Marionut#1*!*
You forgot the comma and punctuation at the end. :) Heheh...Sorry...I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, if I'm coming across that way. It wasn't my intent. :)

Oh, I was wondering that very same thing, Luigison. Nobody mentioned anything about the SotFSK except you.

--------------------

Print